Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 02:55 PM

93 posts, read 229,508 times

Advertisements

I would like to rent a power/slit seeder for a day. Who rents these locally and how much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 05:42 PM

871 posts, read 3,018,133 times
Ace has them, but best to shop for pricing. Most people will slit seed/overseed in the late summer/early fall here. At least those who have been following along on C-D!

It's a worthwhile investment.

Whatever you do, if you go ahead and do this, please write this down:

Slit seed the whole area in one direction. Then, slit seed at an oblique direction (45 degrees to what you already did).

Use a QUALITY seed. Then use a starter fertilizer.

Highly recommend that you NOT use wheat straw to scatter all over your newly seeded lawn. Moisture retention notwithstanding, the WEED SEEDS in wheat straw will make you lament your using it for a long time.

I would suggest a newer store as the equipment will not be so trashed. When I first moved here Lowe's was not yet built and I rented from a place in Fuquay. By the time I got the machine secured, paid for, and transported back to Cary, there was a mechanical problem with it and although I got a refund, I got no work done and ate up most of a beautiful Saturday.

The newer Aces at Hwy 55 in Apex or Morrisville-Carpenter and Davis Drive in Cary may have what you are looking for.

You may want to see if the place will secure you a machine with your credit card. It stinks to get there and they have nothing for you. Other guys have the same focus as you do on the exact same day you plan to work it.

Good luck!

Old 03-24-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
Most people will slit seed/overseed in the late summer/early fall here. At least those who have been following along on C-D!
I plan on planting warm season seed, not cool season seed. My partner and I made garden areas and used a very dark color mulch. This will offset nicely with the golden dormant season color of the warm season grass. It will give us both something to look forward to twice per year. First with the green color and then with the golden color.

Thanks so much for the advice on how to use the machine. I was wondering what pattern I should use. I hear it is a workout using one of these things.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:04 AM

871 posts, read 3,018,133 times
Glad you are feeling the garden love! It's great therapy for a long, dull winter.

Didn't mean to offer you more advice than you were looking for......I learned what I know the hard way. The seeder will give you a night with the heating pad if you have a lot to do! Best of luck and enjoy the results!

Old 03-25-2010, 09:46 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,077,144 times
It's a bit too early for warm season grass love ..

You really need consistent 70 degree days with no danger of frost and freeze to plant warm season grass sprigs or seed.. Our normal last freeze is around April 15th, we have a very good chance of getting close to freezing this Saturday.

May is a better time.

Frank

Old 03-25-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
It's a bit too early for warm season grass love ..

You really need consistent 70 degree days with no danger of frost and freeze to plant warm season grass sprigs or seed.. Our normal last freeze is around April 15th, we have a very good chance of getting close to freezing this Saturday.

May is a better time.

Frank
I planned on doing the seeding around May 1st. I am spending the weeks ahead finding the ideal seed and gathering information on the process. The weather will be the determining factor. The way my luck goes, we will have a freak May freeze right after I seed.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:32 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,443,172 times
What kind of grass are you putting down? Seeded bermuda isn't optimal, and is essentially a weed which will grow anywhere. No need to slit seed it. Zoysia is pretty but takes a LONG time to grow from seed (several seasons) and you have to be on top of watering it and fending off the weeds. If your neighbors have bermuda it will take out all kinds of other grass.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
What kind of grass are you putting down? Seeded bermuda isn't optimal, and is essentially a weed which will grow anywhere. No need to slit seed it. Zoysia is pretty but takes a LONG time to grow from seed (several seasons) and you have to be on top of watering it and fending off the weeds. If your neighbors have bermuda it will take out all kinds of other grass.
Higher quality bermuda seed is on my list, including these - Yukon, Princess 77, La Prima and Triangle.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:17 PM

148 posts, read 676,747 times
May 1st is still too early to seed Bermuda, wait until mid-June. Bermuda loves the heat, so does the seed - it will not germinate in cool temps.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:02 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,443,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottery Collector View Post
Higher quality bermuda seed is on my list, including these - Yukon, Princess 77, La Prima and Triangle.
Just be aware that while they are "higher quality" seeded bermuda, they are still seed with all the limitations that go along with that. The biggest being spring green up and fall dormancy. Seeded bermuda will take a long time to turn green in the spring and is the first to go dormant in the fall.

Also to properly care for bermuda especially the cultivars you've listen you need a reel mower, they are labor intensive for the manual ones and $$ ($3k) for the power ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary