Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2010, 11:52 AM

467 posts, read 1,774,077 times

Advertisements

I got a speeding ticket in Franklin County in December. I was going 15 over, and fully intended to attend my own court date, but my work schedule made that nearly impossible, so I retained an attorney on 2/12. My court date for this citation was 2/19. This attorney asked for a continuance, so secured a rescheduled court date of 3/19, and I see from the Frankly county court website that another has been secured, for 4/23.

Is this normal? I spoke to someone in his office shortly after the first continuance, and was told it was because of how late I'd retained him. Okay, I can buy that. But a second re-schedule? How long will this go on?!?! Or is this the norm? I've only been in NC for 2 years, and it's my first speeding ticket in 20 years of driving, so this is all very new territory for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 12:15 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
It happens. I wouldn't sweat it. It should do you no harm while it's being continued.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:49 PM

892 posts, read 3,160,306 times
If your attorney had to postpone it, he/she should let you know. You paid them, call and ask.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:25 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Attorney may be judge shopping to get you a good deal.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:50 PM

10 posts, read 27,831 times
This is sort of off-topic; but how did you find the attorney? Was your mailbox full of letters from them after your ticket? haha

What you're describing is essentially the same thing that happened to my wife maybe a year ago though. I think the date was moved at least twice or three times.

After all of that it did end up getting taken care of, but I was just as confused as you about the process.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:38 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,156,880 times
so i got a crappy loaner car the other day while my car was getting some work done. i found it really hard to maintain a constant speed, and there's no cruise control. i got pulled over doing 80 in 65 on rt 1. the trooper was a nice guy (said i was actually doing 83 which is completely possible, but knocked it down). he said he made a note about me having just picked up a loaner and lack of cc. i did get pulled over last summer in the middle of nowhere VA doing 62 in a 55 (coming off a 70mph road), and i couldnt afford to go fight it. other than that i havent gotten a ticket the whole time i lived in MA (since 2000). i understand i have 2 good options... trying to get them to knock it down to 9 over, or getting a prayer for judgment. what are the benefits and likelihood of each, and are there any other options or recommendations? i dont really have any desire to get an attorney unless he's gonna get the court costs waived, because it's 130 for those (and those always have to be paid down here, i guess) and 30 for the ticket. i've never done this before and only have been in NC for 10 months, so i'm kind of in the dark.

thanks!

Old 03-25-2010, 05:40 PM

467 posts, read 1,774,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilencingMachine View Post
This is sort of off-topic; but how did you find the attorney? Was your mailbox full of letters from them after your ticket? haha

What you're describing is essentially the same thing that happened to my wife maybe a year ago though. I think the date was moved at least twice or three times.

After all of that it did end up getting taken care of, but I was just as confused as you about the process.

Glad to hear that the same thing happened to your wife, just so I know I'm not getting screwed over! I got 4 letters from attorney's soliciting - so I wouldn't say it was full! I had been advised to choose an attorney, if possible, who had been a DA or ADA in the county where I was ticketed, so that's what I did.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:11 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,532,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Attorney may be judge shopping to get you a good deal.
As they said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary