Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 07:45 AM

120 posts, read 498,374 times

Advertisements

We're going to build a fence at some point and we're trying to figure out where the absolute cheapest place to buy materials would be. I would be most interested in buying wood panels to make the job a bit easier. Does anyone know of anywhere around the area that sells super cheap fence panels and the approximate cost? I haven't had any luck on craigslist. Or, if there are any fence contractors, are there any that offer very low rates? We don't need anything special, just something that's not as much of an eyesore as the current wire fencing with metal posts in our yard now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 12:03 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,074 times
I don't know the absolute cheapest place to buy materials to build a fence but when I have a do-it-myself project I go to Lowe's or HomeDepot. I know Lowe's sells 4ft x 8ft wood panel fencing for as low as $27. Then you need post and nails/screws, and a gate or two. But the above home improvement centers offer all kinds of fence options for almost any budget.

You may be able to find a used cheap fence on craigslist but most people that put a fence in usually like to keep them around until they either move or it falls over.

Some other points when installing a fence, make sure you know exactly where your property line is in relationship to your neighbors or common space and keep the fence at least a foot or 2 inside the line on your property so you can get around it for maintenance and inspections. Also make sure you know the neighborhood covenants regarding the fence you may install. It gets real expensive to take it down once its up and when you place it on Craigslist for resale people usually want the absolutely cheapest fence they can get!

Good luck with your fence project and keep us updated on how you make out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary