Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 08:06 AM

48 posts, read 176,257 times

Advertisements

Hi guys~

I'm wondering if anyone is using only cell phones, not having a land line in the home? How is it working? Do you find it more convenient or more of a hassle? I'm thinking of doing this when I get to Raliegh...in 3 LONG weeks! I'm looking for any advice, before I go ahead and get the family share plan. Trying to save $$$~

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 08:15 AM

36 posts, read 147,149 times
If you will get a family cell phone plan anyway, you don't really need a home phone. This is what we are doing now. It is more convenient. You will get one phone bill for everything. You can make/answer a call anywhere (theoretically). There is no drawbacks in my opinion. Just remember to charge it at night.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:20 AM

123 posts, read 484,691 times
With kids, I personally feel safer having a land line even if only has just basic 911 service. I heard 911 can trace to a land line but not always to a cell. I could be wrong though but I still feel safer with that land line. Probably also has something to do with the fact that I am always forgetting to charge my cell phone at night...hmm...

Old 06-06-2007, 08:23 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,028,643 times
My husband and I have done this (as have most of our friends) and it works great for us. We don't have kids, though, so I don't know if that might complicate the issue. I'm sure that particular aspect has been discussed on oodles of parenting websites!

Old 06-06-2007, 08:28 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,578,301 times
Just make sure your house isn't in some sort of 'dead zone.' I had hoped to go with just a cell phone when I moved here, but the reception is so bad at my house I had to get a land line.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:29 AM

548 posts, read 2,640,172 times
I agree with the kids concern That's part of the reason we kept oru landline. Also we have an alarm on the house and it needs a landline in order to send the message of a break-in to the call center. If you do'nt have an alarm or kids though, it would make sense to me to go with the cell by itself.

Also, some cell companies work great in some areas and not others, so obviously test that out first. The ONLY cell company which works IN our house (others work outside for some reason...) is Alltel, which was not what we had when we moved here, so we had to switch. We borrowed other people's cells and took them to our house to figure out which worked and which didn't!

Old 06-06-2007, 08:41 AM

578 posts, read 3,073,935 times
Other reasons you might need a land-line:

* Dial-up internet access
* Alarm monitoring as MaimounaKande said
* Faxing
* DirecTV TiVo which still only works reliably over land-lines last I knew, regular TiVo can work over ethernet for call-ins.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:44 AM

198 posts, read 908,194 times
Thanks for asking this question poster, I was wondering the same thing. I plan on using my cell svc. too (Sprint) and only getting a landline if the reception isnt good where I am. I've been doing it here for some time and it has been working well. I dont talk on the phone enough to need a landline, but I could see where on occasions it would be nice. I am all for saving money though. I also use a laptop w/ a wireless PC card offered through my cell company so I can take the web anywhere, so my cell company gets enough money from me for me to have to get a landline too.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:46 AM

560 posts, read 2,843,605 times
Make sure the coverage is real good, you don't want to be standing on your roof hopping on one foot with your arms out, your neighbors will think you are a little silly. Also consider the amount of minutes your plan allows, if you go over you will not be a happy camper.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:03 AM

23 posts, read 100,688 times
We have not had a landline in over 2.5 years and LOVE it!!!

No more high charges for roaming and long distance calls either.

Having only 1 number simplifies calling - no more "I called you at home but you weren't there ..."

Our computer is on cable - faster than dial up.

My brother and sister have been landline-free for a long time too!!

Try it and if it's not for you - you can always add a landline at a later date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary