U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2010, 04:19 PM

185 posts, read 547,322 times

Advertisements

There was a large home on the corner of New Hope and Buffaloe, often had horses in the front yard. This old home always looked perfect for a Texas Chainsaw massacre remake in my opinion. Alas a few days ago it was no more. I was passing and there was a little smoke coming from a pile of remnants, but it did not look like the house burned down, as the trees and surrounding buildings were fully intact. Anyone know what happened and/or what is planned for the land?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 05:38 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,399,756 times
Well, My daughter was driving by it as the fire dept was trying to put it out. I forget what day last wk it was. I asked her if it looked like a controlled burn, she said not from where she was on New Hope but she couldn't be certain. She and I were upset to learn of this.

The house and land was once part of the Buffaloe family - hence Buffaloe Rd. They were related to the Bartholomew family of New Hope Rd. They farmed and owned a lot of the land in this area including the old Bartholomew farmhouse with front porch on New Hope at Live Oak Rd, next to Hedingham. In '86 I remember the farmland was barely used, and a few yrs later it was sold for Hedingham or at least part of it.

The house that burned was very old had a lot of history; I'd be stunned if they had decided to burn it. The last I heard, the adult niece of the original owners who died many, many yrs ago, still owned it. She didn't live there.

I have been in it a few times. My oldest daughter as a teen, was friends with the son of the folks who were the caretakers. They lived their while fixing it up, and took care of Billy, the son of the owners who had died. Billy was elderly and handicapped; as a child he was playing with a shotgun and shot himself in the head. It was amazing he survived, but he had some brain damage and so couldn't live alone. He was the sweetest man, we all loved him. The house really needed upgrading but the style was very interesting. It had very steep back staircase and front staircase. There was a section at the rear that I think had been added on over years. It has some nice finishes inside including the parlour fireplace. I think when it was built it was considered rather posh. There was also a lot of antiques in the house when I used to visit it. It was like time stood still. Old family photos that I think were turn of the last century - my memory is a little rusty.

If you've been in the area a few yrs, you might remember Billy used to sit out under the shade tree with a sign, "Pecans 4 Sale". That was his income. He was very proud of doing this, it was quite an achievement considering he had the mental age of a young child.

I have vague memories of the niece telling me that the house was either used as a orphanage or the parents of Billy took in orphans - I think it was the later. This had to be around 1920? Using Billy's age in '86 as a gauge.

Hope the tree survived, it was very old, it sat on the Buffaloe side of the house. I have other personal memories of the house and residents so feel sad to see it go.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:17 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,138,193 times
Quote:
I'd be stunned if they had decided to burn it.
Well I hope you're sitting down. It was, in fact, used for training and was allowed to burn down at the end of the day.

Scroll down to the bottom for more info.
2010-03-20-nhfd-live-burn-pt1
2010-03-20-nhfd-live-burn-pt2

Old 03-27-2010, 08:01 PM

Under PSI - thank you for sharing, I've sent this to my daughter. I know she will be even more sad to hear this. I just cannot believe someone would do this to a home that had been in their family for so long. I know at one time it had termites....maybe the damage was more extensive than I was aware of?
Thanks again

Old 04-28-2010, 10:45 AM

59 posts, read 206,014 times
Do you know what is going to happen to the horses and the land?

Old 04-28-2010, 11:27 AM

Sorry, don't know what will happen to them. I thought they were boarded horses, I was not aware of the family owning them but don't know for sure. I think they are still there?

Old 04-28-2010, 01:42 PM

59 posts, read 206,014 times
Yes, I still see the horses, but they torn down one of the barns (well, it was close to falling down). I don't see any new construction for shelter, etc. I wondered if they were going to continue having horses there or move them and use the land for something else -- a ubiquitous drug store -- or townhomes, etc.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:53 PM

If I hear more, I'll post an update. I no longer know the owner so it's unlikely. I sure hope they won't put a gas station or something like that there. I've seen that done so many times around here...I'm tired of seeing open land filled with ugly bldgs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary