Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2006, 08:09 PM

23 posts, read 62,183 times

Advertisements

Thinking of relo to raleigh. Have been through two times in last two years and really enjoyed the atmosphere. I am a person who would be looking to enjoy and compliment what I think Raleigh has to offer. Raleigh has lots of Art, Good restaurants on Greenwood Ave and a complete revitalization of the downtown area is taking place. I see it as a positive area thats on the rise--any opinions?? thanks a lot - I appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2006, 07:57 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,799 times
Looks like you've seen pretty much the best things about Raleigh. The downtown revitalization is a big part of a push the current council is doing to try to shift growth away from sprawl and more towards urban infill. It hopefully will result in Raleigh feeling more and more like a real city over the years. Hope you decide to come and join it.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:49 AM

Default thanks for the reply

Hey RR-thanks for the reply--I spent a few days hanging around last month just to get re-aquainted. So much building has gone on since my last short visit in late 04. Tell me if I have this right or not. From what it seems, there is a real nice hometown feel within the beltline even though there are a lot of transplanted folks there. I see that the area inside the BL is set up like a walk about community, especially around the downtown area. Then you get much more in the way of subdivisions outside the beltline. It does seem that the homes are a little nicer and more exp. outside the belt. I'm in the market for a home in the 175-250 range and have 2 teens 14/16, i'm a widowed dad, who is looking for a very "down home feel" in a place where family values are still "valued" so to speak. Could you give me some feedback about the crime rate if possible. I get the impression its a pretty quiet town. I really do not rely on stats from the internet.
I hear its a great college town and I'm thinking thats the right move for the future. Many thanks for any info you can provide.
PS-how long are you in Raleigh?

Old 08-01-2006, 08:58 AM

Don't sweat on the crime rate...for a city of this size, it's pretty low. Just stay out of the projects and those type of areas, and you'll rarely see anything really.
Your impressions of Raleigh seem pretty on-target from what I'm reading. It's hard to compare homes inside beltline vs outside due to so mary variables....homes inside are older, but that's often a good thing, not a bad thing (better quality construction, more detail, etc.). So weigh that in mind when doing comparisons. Yes, outside beltline is more subdivisions, while inside is more your traditional city neighborhood grid design. Definitely more walkable too.
The NCSU college area is great too...really adds character to the city. Other colleges in nearby towns too (like Duke and UNC-CH)...so as a parent of teenagers, I'm sure you'd like that.

Old 08-02-2006, 05:53 AM

Default Rr

Thanx. I appreciate the note.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william
PS-how long are you in Raleigh?
Just saw this part.
Since August 1995.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary