Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 07:32 AM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,653 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Any womens or moms meetup groups in or around Chapel Hill?

We will be moving to CH in June and my kids will be in a traditional calendar school so they need to make new friends for the summer.

Any ideas?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 07:36 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
Chapel Hill Carrboro Mothers Club

TriangleMommies.com -- A Mommies Network Community

Old 03-28-2010, 02:38 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,870 times
I would second Trianglemommies, but it seems to be heavily weighted towards moms of babies/preschoolers. There just isn't as much activity from moms of school aged kids, and I'm not sure if there's a CH group or not. Worth a try, but if your kids are school aged, you might look instead to meetup.com or to the local library or even summer camp activities in town.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:30 PM

305 posts, read 768,170 times
Do you know which neighborhood you'll be living in? Many CH neighborhoods have pools. I'd recommend joining a pool and you and your kids will probably be able to make friends quickly there.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:43 PM

Initially we'll be in Cosgrove Hill apartments while looking for a house.
But we are going to try to stay on the east side so I can have easy access to the freeway, will be working in RTP

Old 03-28-2010, 06:19 PM

546 posts, read 1,678,970 times
I'll third Triangle Mommies. While the school aged events are less than say preschool or toddlers, it's mainly because kids are in school. But there are still a lot of all ages events hosted both on weekdays and the weekends where you will find moms with school aged kids. I have an 8 yr old who has made some great friends through there, and even though they may not all go to school together, we find plenty of time to meet up at parks or for playdates.

It's also a great resource for you as a mom new to the area. I moved here over 2 years ago knowing no one and through TM have become very active and made a lot of friends I never would have met. It made transitioning here a lot easier. Hope this helps!

Old 03-28-2010, 07:46 PM

109 posts, read 392,467 times
If you have school age kids, I would seriously consider a swim team to meet friends as they will see them everyday and make it easier to form some friendships. Also, alot of the schools at least used to have summer camps run at the elementary school with many of its campers being students at the same school. Just a thought, as many of the playgroups kind of end when you reach elementary age.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:54 PM

Thanks for all the ideas, I'll pass 'em on to my wife

Old 03-28-2010, 08:01 PM

222 posts, read 545,876 times
I've met moms through both trianglemommies and meetup.com groups. Like others have said, though, it is mostly little kids. My daughter is in preschool and is often the oldest one at most of the events when I bring her along in addition to my toddler.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:17 PM

305 posts, read 768,170 times
How old are your kids? Swim team is a great idea though it is a pretty heavy time commitment on the part of the whole family. They don't have to be excellent swimmers to join. If they can make it a length or two of the pool they can join and will get lots and lots of practice and coaching to become better swimmers. Kids from 4-18 are on the swim teams. My kids have never been interested, but I know a whole lot of families who are involved.

If anyone in your family will be working for UNC you can join The Farm club. You can also join Meadowmont which is now managed by the YMCA and I know The Exchange pool had some membership openings last year. If there's a particular neighborhood you're interested in you might check and see if they have a pool. I think your kids can join swim teams without a membership in a pool or club, also, so you might want to go that route since I'm sure you'll have a pool at the apartments.

hth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary