Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 03:16 PM

9 posts, read 30,990 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if any of you have been to the Raleigh Farmer's Market lately, are the herb plant vendors already out there or is it still a bit too early? What kind of veggies are in season right now? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 06:07 PM

932 posts, read 3,097,752 times
We went last week for seafood. The day we went they were having a craft fair and there were more craft vendors than produce vendors. I didn't look at the veggies that day. You should check out their website. It's pretty good. The have special events all of the time. Herbs Days are coming up...Blueberry Day, Peach Day, etc. There's also an availability chart that tells what's in season.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:01 AM

71 posts, read 180,329 times
I went to the Farmer's Market over the weekend. There were some vendors there, but nothing like it would be like at the height of the season. The veggie side was a bit less than 1/2 full, and the plant side was about 1/3 full. One of the plant vendors was one of the regular herb vendors, but I don't remember which one it was.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:06 PM

9 posts, read 30,990 times
thanks for the info! i looked up the dates for the herb days so I'll try to make it out there that weekend.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:25 PM

161 posts, read 581,444 times
I've never been to the farmers market but I really want to go. I'm thinking about weekend after next. When you buy things like fruit, do you have to buy a whole case? I'm not a big fruit eater and I could never eat a whole box full! Can you just buy small quantities?

Old 03-29-2010, 07:27 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
You can buy whatever you want! It's sold by the pound. It's just like the grocery store, only better.

Be sure to visit the other buildings just to see what they have; and have a Southern breakfast in the round building, or if you're there at lunch, have some seafood from the other restaurant. For both, you'll have to wait.

You MUST go. It's very crowded on the weekends. It may be less crowded if you go early Sunday morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ech86 View Post
I've never been to the farmers market but I really want to go. I'm thinking about weekend after next. When you buy things like fruit, do you have to buy a whole case? I'm not a big fruit eater and I could never eat a whole box full! Can you just buy small quantities?

Old 03-30-2010, 10:48 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Newbie to the Farmer's Market as well with a few questions...

I'm bringing my kids (4 school-aged) with me this week for a little "fun" while we are off from school.

Where is the best place to have lunch there? (my kids like trying new things)

Are there multiple parking areas and if so, where to park? Or does it matter what we are heading there for (mainly fruits, veggies and to figure out our way around when it's less crowded).

In general, how are the prices? Are they fixed or does it fluctuate from grower to grower? Also, I'm assuming it's cash only or am I wrong?

What kind of packaging when you buy per pound? (so I can plan if I need to bring boxes or bags with me to haul it all out).

Also, living in WNY and then moving here, I noticed that my produce doesn't last as long in the fridge when purhcased from the grocery store. For example...I used to be able to buy strawberries and they'd last more than a week...down here they get moldy/shriveled after a few days. If I'm buying from the Farmer's Market will I see better longevity when storing the fruits/veggies compared to the ones I purchase from the store?

Thanks for any information you can offer! I want to be as prepared as I can be with 4 kids by my side.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:39 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
There are only two restaurants. One is a fish place where you order and then pick it up and bring it to your table. Very basic. (I like it.) The other is a place with antique farm stuff as decor, and it has waitresses. Here is the link: http://www.ncsfmr.com/ I think kids would like that if they like breakfast food.

You can park anywhere. It's really not that big.

Produce is put into plastic bags. My husband buys sweet potatoes by the box, and they give him the box. (Our Southern dogs love sweet potatoes.)

I think the prices are better than grocery stores. Not hugely so. The produce in season may be less expensive. But I think produce in general is expensive here compared to many areas of the country. I've heard others say that, too.

The prices among vendors fluctuate by pennies. They are more expensive near the front and may be lower the more you walk down toward the plants. Don't buy the first thing you see -- just check the prices. It only takes a few minutes.

Yes, I'd say it's cash only. There may be exceptions, but I can't recall anyone who takes plastic; maybe the larger plant sellers do.

I believe that not all the sellers necessarily are the growers. Most are.

I would think the locally grown produce may last longer in your fridge, but I don't know for sure. For the freshest strawberries, you can always take the kids to a pick-your-own farm.

Here's an availability chart: http://www.ncagr.gov/markets/chart.htm

It's not a very big farmer's market, but it's fun. There is also an ice cream place in one of the other buildings to the left (or there used to be.) The kids might like that. Be sure to visit those buildings regardless.

If you ever want a large quantity of produce, you can go to the large wholesale building on the far right and get a better price. People (mostly from other countries) used to buy boxes of produce and then do impromptu wheeling and dealing with each other, but the market put a stop to that a while ago because the regular vendors (in the stalls) felt it was cutting into their business.

Here is a link to a walking tour of the market. You'll know everything about it before you get there!
http://raleighdurham.about.com/od/sh...ers-Market.htm

OH! You're from WNY? Me, too. Produce was much less expensive in WNY, and there were a lot more deals and activity and products at the Public Market in Rochester. I have a postcard from the Rochester Public Market dated 1910, so it's been there a lot longer than Raleigh's. The Raleigh market used to be off Capital Boulevard near downtown (Hodges Street), and it moved to its present location in 1991. (My father-in-law was a lifelong produce vendor, but he distributed, in his produce truck, all over NC, SC, and Florida; for decades, he was a familiar face at the old Farmer's Market.)

Rochester's Public Market has a BREWERY(!), artists, and a place that roasts its own coffee, among other businesses. Maybe some day the Raleigh Farmer's Market will offer more. http://www.cityofrochester.gov/article.aspx?id=8589936780

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Newbie to the Farmer's Market as well with a few questions...

I'm bringing my kids (4 school-aged) with me this week for a little "fun" while we are off from school.

Where is the best place to have lunch there? (my kids like trying new things)

Are there multiple parking areas and if so, where to park? Or does it matter what we are heading there for (mainly fruits, veggies and to figure out our way around when it's less crowded).

In general, how are the prices? Are they fixed or does it fluctuate from grower to grower? Also, I'm assuming it's cash only or am I wrong?

What kind of packaging when you buy per pound? (so I can plan if I need to bring boxes or bags with me to haul it all out).

Also, living in WNY and then moving here, I noticed that my produce doesn't last as long in the fridge when purhcased from the grocery store. For example...I used to be able to buy strawberries and they'd last more than a week...down here they get moldy/shriveled after a few days. If I'm buying from the Farmer's Market will I see better longevity when storing the fruits/veggies compared to the ones I purchase from the store?

Thanks for any information you can offer! I want to be as prepared as I can be with 4 kids by my side.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 03-30-2010 at 07:59 PM..

Old 03-30-2010, 07:53 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Lovebrentwood...

thank you so much for the information and the links; that was exactly the kind of info I was looking for!

Yes, produce was quite the "sticker shock" when we moved down here. Actually, most groceries were a bit higher in price.

I figure since it's not so large, each child can carry a tote of what they pick out. They love to shop, especially when they help make the decisions ...and then they are more likely to actually EAT it...lol.

Just wanted to add that I do miss the Rochester market. My friend and I would go there and make a day of it...shopping, browsing, having lunch and then splitting all of our goods that we purchased in bulk.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:53 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
There are only two restaurants. One is a fish place where you order and then pick it up and bring it to your table. Very basic. (I like it.) The other is a place with antique farm stuff as decor, and it has waitresses. Here is the link: State Farmer's Market I think kids would like that if they like breakfast food.
I'll just add that my kids LOVE the fish restaurant, plus the platters are so big that you can effectively share. We can feed our family of 4 off two shrimp platters. You can also eat outdoors there, which is great if the weather is nice.

Also, there is an ATM in the middle of the market. It is operated by the State Employee's Credit Union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary