Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 08:55 AM

64 posts, read 167,241 times

Advertisements

is Raleigh a vibrant city with museums, lots of restaurants, etc. or is it more of a sleepy town? i'm researching various places to move & one of the things i really want is a substantial city nearby. it's hard to get a handle on what the Raleigh Durham area is really like without visiting. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 09:30 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,025,538 times
It's not a huge city obviously, but yes, it offers many restaurants, museums, etc. I wouldn't call it a sleepy town.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:48 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,807,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
is Raleigh a vibrant city with museums, lots of restaurants, etc. or is it more of a sleepy town? i'm researching various places to move & one of the things i really want is a substantial city nearby. it's hard to get a handle on what the Raleigh Durham area is really like without visiting. thanks!
It's neither a "sleepy town" nor a "vibrant city", though there is some stuff going on downtown. It's a booming population center, most of whose population lives in outlying sprawl (suburbs) and towns outside the core city of Raleigh or Durham. The "city" part of either Raleigh or Durham is pretty disappointing for someone who is specifically looking for a "quote unquote substantial city" nearby. The metro area is several cities/towns, of which most residents visit several in a month's time to work, shop, do things, etc. If you're looking for somewhere that everything is all in one downtown area, this is not that at all.

The whole appeal of the place to many who move from big cities is that it's not a "metropolis".

Old 03-30-2010, 10:05 AM

5,740 posts, read 17,589,623 times
Quote:
it's hard to get a handle on what the Raleigh Durham area is really like without visiting. thanks!
Well then by all means come and visit!

That's what my wife and I did when we were considering relocating. We took a long driving trip to about 6 different cities in Tennessee, Kentucky, and North Carolina. We didn't find anything that met all of our needs, so we took 2 separate weekend trips, one to Charlotte and one to Raleigh. We liked Raleigh so much that we moved here.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:37 AM

33 posts, read 47,258 times
Quote:

As has been expressed elsewhere, this is really a big town not really a city.

The museums here are poor and parochial, but the city doesn't have the population to support much more than it does, I guess.

Restaurants here are mainly catering for local tastes, although there is a smattering of cuisines from other parts of the US and international.
If you've had Chinese/Indian/Greek/Italian, etc, from a big city in the USA or overseas, you might be disappointed with what there is here, however "promising" it is advertised. Pizza is not great here either.

There are other things to think about coming here, but essentially, its a provincial city, so bear that in kind.
Best come for a few days or a week to get a feel for the place.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:47 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,085,858 times
Yeah, it ain't London.

I think any successful restaurant will "cater to local tastes" or they'll go out of business.

I think the renovated NC Museum of Art that will open next month will be great, and I especially like the Museum of Natural Sciences in Raleigh; it is the perfect size for the city.

When I visited London, I became nauseous at the number of mummies at the British Museum. Boring.

Our museums, for our sized city, are just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadowview View Post
As has been expressed elsewhere, this is really a big town not really a city.

The museums here are poor and parochial, but the city doesn't have the population to support much more than it does, I guess.

Restaurants here are mainly catering for local tastes, although there is a smattering of cuisines from other parts of the US and international.
If you've had Chinese/Indian/Greek/Italian, etc, from a big city in the USA or overseas, you might be disappointed with what there is here, however "promising" it is advertised. Pizza is not great here either.

There are other things to think about coming here, but essentially, its a provincial city, so bear that in kind.
Best come for a few days or a week to get a feel for the place.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:05 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,922,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
When I visited London, I became nauseous at the number of mummies at the British Museum. Boring.
Well that's one way to keep your museums from becoming too "parochial" - steal antiquities from another country.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:09 AM

5,740 posts, read 17,589,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Well that's one way to keep your museums from becoming too "parochial" - steal antiquities from another country.
Ha Ha, I almost said the same thing. One thing that the Greek tour guides are very fond of saying is: "Here is a replica of <insert valuable artifact name>. The real one is on display in the British Museum, which they stole from us."

Old 03-30-2010, 11:18 AM

85 posts, read 199,505 times
Raleigh is more like a big suburb

Old 03-30-2010, 11:24 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,085,858 times
Let's compare:

London, world capital: 7.5 million people, excellent museums, lots of places to get Indian food, which cater to local tastes

Raleigh, state capital: A few more than 400 thousand people, pretty good museums, plenty of restaurants, including BBQ places, which cater to local tastes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary