Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 06:47 AM

33 posts, read 47,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
North Carolina isn't a country
But they and the other states think they are, kind of, maybe mini-countries, don't they?
With all their perfinicky laws/bye laws (e.g. no riding an elephant naked on a Wednesday) and attitudes, self-importance and "distiguishability" from the neighbors?

Old 03-31-2010, 06:48 AM

33 posts, read 47,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
Please don't encourage her. Meadow -- don't move to Portland. You'd hate it.
Portland sounds lovely, but the only problem for that city and that state, it seems, is that it has no jobs.

If you don't need to earn an income, I am sure its a very nice and lush living environment.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:50 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
No dang reason?

What should be done? Should the ITB homes be knocked down and replaced by highrises?

People keep moving here, as evidenced on this board. Where does one put them?

Most growing American cities have sprawled outward.

No, don't be ridiculous. I'm not saying to knock down everything and build skyscrapers. However there is a lot of land ITB of real value that hasn't been used to its potential.

Also, of course a city is going to sprawl outward. It's inevitable. However, there's no reason to not control what's developed on that land. Instead of wasting land and resources, build more densely. Plan smartly as you expand.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:07 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Also, of course a city is going to sprawl outward. It's inevitable. However, there's no reason to not control what's developed on that land. Instead of wasting land and resources, build more densely. Plan smartly as you expand.
Perhaps there is no better argument for better planning of future development in this area than the current abandoned sites that have become eyesores and are causing serious erosion and natural resources issues.

Raleigh's rise in inactive building sites a 'nuisance' to some :: WRAL.com

Old 03-31-2010, 07:48 AM

494 posts, read 1,388,012 times
Raleigh is definitly a city,it may not be everyone's cup of tea,such as myself,but it's a city none the less.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:50 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Most cities, including Raleigh, have infill opportunity. In fact, I live in a building that was an infill project on the edge of DT.
When Raleigh runs out of annexable land, it will have to focus on infill projects within its limits to grow its population and tax base. This includes downtown and in specific nodes throughout the city that have been identified as future growth nodes for transit (Yes, meadowview, Raleigh does have a plan for the city). In addition to DT, these areas include Crabtree Valley, North Hills, Triangle Town Center, Brier Creek, etc. I assume that other areas will emerge as high density nodes as time moves on.
For now, Raleigh actually remains the state's most densely populated large city...though it pales in comparison to the more densely populated cities around the country.
Some of the things I expect to see in the coming decades include:
1. Expansion of what's considered downtown to include areas travelling up Capital Blvd to Wake Forest Rd. I also see the urbanization of the areas West of downtown to include NC State Univ. and Cameron Village.
2. I can imagine the development of the corridor between DT Raleigh and Garner. Each and every time I travel those routes, it's always amazing to me how undiscovered that land is.
3. I can imagine significant redevelopment of older low rise apartment complexes that sit in very desirable locations. One example of this is the Quail Ridge Apartments. My family lived there for 3 months back in early '74 while we waited for our house to be finished. It was crappy back then. I can't even imagine how bad it is today. Nonetheless, it's in a great location and I can see a much more robust mixed use project and more housing on that site going forward.
4. As retail shopping patterns change and more is accomplished on the web, I can see some of the larger, less successful centers being redeveloped mixed use to include housing. Frankly, I don't think any of these centers have been built with the assumption that they'll always be there.
5. Major corridors like Capital Blvd, Western Blvd, New Bern Ave/64 business, Glenwood Ave and South Saunders St., will likely be redeveloped.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:47 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadowview View Post
But they and the other states think they are, kind of, maybe mini-countries, don't they?
Is this person for real??

Quote:
Portland sounds lovely, but the only problem for that city and that state, it seems, is that it has no jobs.
And NC/Raleigh DOES?

Old 03-31-2010, 10:00 AM

1,331 posts, read 1,986,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadowview View Post
Just a few off the top of my head.

1. A proper scheme and vision for the city.
2. The city has to decide on an identity or one will be imposed.
3. A proper public transport system
4. A understanding of the need to have more mid-level jobs, not just fancy RTP jobs at one end and service-level jobs at the other and not much in between.
Without this, the city will never grow.

5. Stop or limit further and further expansion into the wilderness, countless strip malls and apartments at every turn.
5 was pretty funny to me. I was in Raleigh spring break to check out the area....while i liked it, it is super small compared to north DFW where I currently live.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:06 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
In my former location (up North), I fought like crazy against "infill." When applied to homeowners selling off their yards to developers, it can totally destroy the character of a neighborhood.

It happened in the neighborhood where I grew up (with disasterous results), and it started in the last neighborhood I lived in while in the North.

We won one battle against a developer trying to build a huge, imposing, three-story home on a 50-foot-wide lot in a neighborhood of 1928 Craftsman bungalows. We successfully pressured the builder, through editorials, videos, lots of press releases and some gimmicks, to build a home that was more in keeping with the bungalow style. Two local newspapers and a TV station continued to follow the story. My favorite newspaper quote from the builder was, "Those ladies are crazy!" But we received public kudos from one newspaper.

I know plenty of homes ITB have been torn down and McMansions have sprung up, and that doesn't bother me. It would bother me if the results destroy the character of the neighborhood.

Building in infill areas often has nothing to do with responsible growth and everything to do with pure greed.

You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Most cities, including Raleigh, have infill opportunity. In fact, I live in a building that was an infill project on the edge of DT.
When Raleigh runs out of annexable land, it will have to focus on infill projects within its limits to grow its population and tax base. This includes downtown and in specific nodes throughout the city that have been identified as future growth nodes for transit (Yes, meadowview, Raleigh does have a plan for the city). In addition to DT, these areas include Crabtree Valley, North Hills, Triangle Town Center, Brier Creek, etc. I assume that other areas will emerge as high density nodes as time moves on.
For now, Raleigh actually remains the state's most densely populated large city...though it pales in comparison to the more densely populated cities around the country.
Some of the things I expect to see in the coming decades include:
1. Expansion of what's considered downtown to include areas travelling up Capital Blvd to Wake Forest Rd. I also see the urbanization of the areas West of downtown to include NC State Univ. and Cameron Village.
2. I can imagine the development of the corridor between DT Raleigh and Garner. Each and every time I travel those routes, it's always amazing to me how undiscovered that land is.
3. I can imagine significant redevelopment of older low rise apartment complexes that sit in very desirable locations. One example of this is the Quail Ridge Apartments. My family lived there for 3 months back in early '74 while we waited for our house to be finished. It was crappy back then. I can't even imagine how bad it is today. Nonetheless, it's in a great location and I can see a much more robust mixed use project and more housing on that site going forward.
4. As retail shopping patterns change and more is accomplished on the web, I can see some of the larger, less successful centers being redeveloped mixed use to include housing. Frankly, I don't think any of these centers have been built with the assumption that they'll always be there.
5. Major corridors like Capital Blvd, Western Blvd, New Bern Ave/64 business, Glenwood Ave and South Saunders St., will likely be redeveloped.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 03-31-2010 at 10:20 AM..

Old 03-31-2010, 10:07 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Apparently, Meadowview is angry that Raleigh isn't London.
I guess if Meadowview lived in New York state, they'd think that little ol' Albany shouldn't be a capital city and that only New York City deserved that big honor.
I like Raleigh just the way it is.
Harrisburg is the capital of Pennsylvania. Louisiana's capital is Baton Rouge. Florida government is based in Tallahassee. Charleston is not the capital of South Carolina, and Sacramento is the capital of California.
Are we beginning to see a pattern here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary