Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 08:24 PM

7,149 posts, read 4,744,539 times

Advertisements

If anyone is interested in teaching their child how to be environmentally aware, and how to preserve natural habitats for all sorts of species, this is not the place you want your kid to be.

I hope I am incorrect, but I have to say that what they have done and are in the process of doing to their landscape and grounds by cutting down massive, perhaps 80-year-old trees, rather than just removing lower branches which were dead or dying, to prevent falling branches, either involves a nepotism-based project, or is just plain ignorant and disrespectful of the beautiful nature that once existed on their grounds.

A simple removal of lower pine branches would have eliminated a threat of a falling branch and potential injury to a student -- which is of course of paramount importance, and is their supposed "reason" for cutting down over 20 trees, some of which had to be four feet in diameter. I saw them myself, after having been cut down. Lying on the ground.

I personally met with the past "head of school" -- what an odd title -- several years ago, and was delighted when he told me that careful consideration was taken as far as tree removal on their property, and that only those trees which were leaning and posed a threat of falling, were removed.

Well, unfortunately, that culture has vanished under the new "head's" rule. They have cut down towering, old trees within the past two days, including Good Friday, today. Can you imagine the sound of a commercial woodchipper and chain saws in your ear all day long on this day?

It's a shame to Raleigh's reputation, to the school's reputation, and to any student attending MSR, who believes that preserving the habitat for animal, plant, bird and other species is worth something. Is important.

Apparently the school doesn't believe that.
In my humble opinion, of course, based upon what I've observed.

Pathetic. Disgraceful. Ulterior motive. I am investigating every avenue to expose the truth of who, why, and how this happened.

best,
toodie

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-02-2010 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: Deleted reference to now-deleted post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 09:08 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,583,386 times
Quote:
Pathetic. Disgraceful. Ulterior motive. I am investigating every avenue to expose the truth of who, why, and how this happened.
First off, why? What business is it of yours? Does any of our tax dollars go to fund this school? I believe it's private property allowing them to do what they choose with the trees.
Second, maybe it's possible that they did contact an Arborist to check the trees and they removed the trees based on a professional's recommendation?

Old 04-02-2010, 09:29 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,247,652 times
Pines are going to have to come out sooner or later. They get tall and fall over. It's just a fact.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:52 PM

7,149 posts, read 4,744,539 times
Everyone is entitled to do what they wish with their property, yeah. But also, people are entitled to their opinions, which is what I was expressing. It was a change in culture and a way of thinking from the previous school leader, to the present. A total reversal. People are entitled to know the truth, whether it's someone's business or not.

I get so tired of hearing, "It's none of your business." If the citizens of this country turned the other way because they believed that what they saw happening was "none of their business," and remained silent, we would have been lost as a Republic by now.

If all of the pine trees in Raleigh were removed, it would be a whole different looking town, now, wouldn't it.

But that would eliminate the pollen issue. Yeah, let's all cut down every single pine tree! Then we can get rid of the gross pollen.

best,
toodie

Old 04-03-2010, 04:52 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,177,681 times
And yet, if a tree were to fall and injur a student (God forbid), there'd be as many threads blasting the school officials for not doing anything about the 'obvious safety hazards of the trees'. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Mike

Old 04-03-2010, 06:54 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,849,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
And yet, if a tree were to fall and injur a student (God forbid), there'd be as many threads blasting the school officials for not doing anything about the 'obvious safety hazards of the trees'. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Mike

I know, I know, some of you are reading this and are thinking, that could not happen!

But I will tell you , it can.

It happened back on Long Island when we lived there. Some kids at preschool were sitting under a very old tree and a branch snapped off, out of the blue. A little boy was killed.
I doubt it was reported down here but I would not be surprised if that was a news story that made the rounds among preschool & camp administrators all over the country.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:13 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,730,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Apparently the school doesn't believe that.
In my humble opinion, of course, based upon what I've observed.

How do you know? You shouldn't just make assumptions. As others have said, they could have consulted someone and it was determined that the trees couldn't be saved or were nearing their "end of life", venturing into an area of danger for those around them.

Trees grow old and die just like people. They start to drop more and more limbs which can be problematic in an educational setting with kids. There's no ulterior motive here and "investigating every avenue to expose the truth" is pointless. Don't you have something better to do than waste the administrators time?

For some reason I also feel like your exaggerating with the "over 20 trees" number.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:23 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,078,108 times
Pines dump a LOT of needles. We have at least 6 very large pines in our yard and you would think we get a fresh delivery of pinestraw with the amount of needles we have on our property. They are hard to remove too.

Could it be that they are removing them to get rid of the pine needles? Maybe they are going to replant some other species of tree?

Does your child go to this school?

Old 04-03-2010, 07:27 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Pines dump a LOT of needles. We have at least 6 very large pines in our yard and you would think we get a fresh delivery of pinestraw with the amount of needles we have on our property. They are hard to remove too. Could it be that they are removing them to get rid of the pine needles? Maybe they are going to replant some other species of tree?
If you were here in the great ice storm of a few years back (2003?) you know why many people have removed those tall pines that weren't taken down by the ice and saturated ground. People saw how much easier the pines fell than other species, and how much damage they did.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:42 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,583,386 times
Quote:
People are entitled to know the truth, whether it's someone's business or not.
Sorry, but you're not "entitled" to know crap whether it's the truth or not when it's not your business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary