Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 09:53 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
3-4 years ago in the early days of this forum during the peak migration period to the region; you'd be right. But it's settled down considerably now. The countless posters on here that would crucify anybody who didn't tell them that everything would be perfect when moving down (or up, or "out to") to NC made your above statement much more valid back then. Now that the honeymoon phase is over those folks don't post on here anymore. Not to say that they regret there move or anything like that; but they've come back down to earth; and thus don't need the constant flow of super-rosy descriptions of the area from others to feel justified in making their move.

Also to the person who posted a couple spots above me. My family is one of those who returned to Rochester a few years ago...from NC. While I love Rochester and agree it has a great "come back home" appeal....Shangri-la? lol. Wouldn't QUITE go that far. Though this early spring has been BY FAR the most pleasant i can ever remember here. Having the upper 80's in early April the past two days was a LITTLE crazy though!
I know I did this years ago, thanks again for all those posts way back when, i'm informed! I found your posts to be incredibly useful to our family in making our choice to move.
It was exhilerating to read the breathless descriptions of the Triangle as we planned our move... it sounded just perfect! To everyone! All at once!
Your posts helped prepare me see the downside of living here, and helped our family weigh the pro's & cons. And I know you had to duck & cover after almost every post you made.
Thanks to you (and the many posters who left!) we were able to make an informed decision. Most of the time we do not regret the move. But, hey, in all our years in NY we would reflect on our life choices, too. I just can't relate to people who are 100% positive about anything. I can't take them too seriously!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 10:19 AM

757 posts, read 2,083,364 times
The important thing for you to remember is that no matter where someone lives you have to put yourself out there, find a hobby, try to make friends with similiar interests. Walls and surroundings are not going to make someone happy. Someone could live oceanfront on the Grand Cayman and still not be happy. I had a family member that moved to the mountains because they wanted to all their lives and thought that would make them happy. It didn't make them happy because they ended not getting to know people, making friends, and participating in a lot of activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary