Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:22 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times

Advertisements

You won't have any problem finding what you want based on your criteria. I think the only reason people have been suggesting townhomes is that you may find more single professional folks there.

So...to name a few single family n'hoods...Amberly, Bedford, Greystone, Harmony, Highcroft Village, Oakcroft, Providence Place, StoneWater, Town Hall Commons, Twin Lakes, Wynbrook. Just to name a few!!!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 10:32 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monet22 View Post
rnc2mbfl: Thanks for the list! That gives me a lot to look into!!!!

Francois: Yes, I'll be working in RTP. And thank you for the clarification

I'll definitely look into the townhouse/condominium communities. I'm open to living in an "attached setting", but I was kind of hoping for a detached home(I live in a townhouse now, and although I like it, I'm kind of leaning towards the detached).

I've got a list of "attached communities", now Does anyone have any suggestions for developments or subdivisions that have detached homes and are similar to what I was describing?

Thanks so much for your help! Raleigh is so friendly to me already
Your biggest challenge with newer single family homes in your price range is that they almost assuredly come with lots of children.
I can think of one single family (infill project) neighborhood in Raleigh that is probably more "empty nester" but it's going to be beyond your budget. If you are interested, take a look at Oaks at Fallon Park. It's probably what you want but, like always, what one really wants is usually more than one wants to spend. :-) It's high end luxury homes of good size that are on very small, low maintenance, lots. It's the lot size that would probably limit the number of children in the neighbhorhood.
Moderator cut: No links to real estate properties, per the Terms of Service
BTW, I sometimes work from RTP and can tell you that none of the options that I have given you would cause you to have more than a 25 minute commute. I commute from DT and can usually get to my office in RTP in about 20 minutes. It just depends on exactly where in the Park you are going.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-09-2010 at 06:51 AM..

Old 04-06-2010, 03:43 PM

8 posts, read 16,634 times
Thanks everyone!

I definitely have a list to start researching. I'll let you know how it goes! If I have any further questions, I'll definitely let you know. You've been so helpful.

In the meantime, if anyone thinks of any other development that would be right for me, please tell me!!!!!

Old 04-06-2010, 03:51 PM

Actually, I do have another quick question for everyone...

An acquaintance who used to live in the area suggested a house in the development called Heritage... specifically Heritage Walk. Any thoughts on this development? Would I be happy there, given what I'm looking for?

Thanks!!!! You guys are great!

Old 04-06-2010, 06:50 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Heritage is a wonderful LARGE n'hood in Wake Forest. There are many sections of Heritage and many price ranges from Townhouses to large homes. Heritage has won many awards for it's neighborhood trails and greenways, etc. There are two pools and a few tot lots with lots of sidewalks. You do not have to join the pool nor do you have to join the golf club.

The only negative for Heritage is the traffic leaving Wake Forest during rush hours is tough. However, there are many ways to get from Wake Forest to RTP and depending on the time you leave and come home, you may avoid some of the traffic.

Vicki

Old 04-06-2010, 09:19 PM

Thanks Vicki!

What about the demographic or feel of the neighborhood? Is it more family-oriented, or more single older professionals like me? I just want to have interests in common with my neighbors, and if its all young families, similar interests may be minimal

I know you may not be able to answer because you are a realtor. Does anyone else know?

Thanks!

Old 05-13-2010, 05:08 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
If you're single, why don't you rent for 6 months before you buy? That will give you the opportunity to explore on your own and find neighborhoods that YOU like, instead of asking a bunch of strangers on an internet forum where they THINK YOU would like.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:03 PM

37 posts, read 54,430 times
Default Single Professional Areas

Isn't that what the Forums are for - so newcomers can ask opinions of people who have been here a while? The opinions of "strangers" have been invaluable to me as a newcomer and I appreciate the kindness of strangers who took the time to help me feel comfortable in our new surroundings!
I hope to be able to "pay it forward" by returning the favor to someone even newer than I am.
Monet I have been here 7 months, currently renting, and still searching for the type of community you mentioned. The 55+ adult communities like Del Webb actually seem to have an average age of 70-75.
I would definitely stay away from opinions of the realtors on this forum including the one weighing in on this thread. By law, they are not allowed to answer the specific demographic questions you have. As such, their answers tend to be generic and vague.
If you work in the RTP stay away from Wake Forest. The main roads in and out of Wake Forest towards RTP are extremely limited and traffic backs up horribly.
The newer developments in Cary that the realtor mentioned such as Amberly are crawling with kids. You are better off in an older neighborhood closer to the historic or older parts of Cary. Newer neighborhoods with pools and large homes will definitely have tons of kids and most have small yards.
Drive around the neighborhoods you like after school and in the early evenings. Then you will see how many kids are out playing. Also count basketball hoops!
What we found in our development is that although the city of Cary bans skateboard ramps in the streets, the police have no jurisdiction in our planned development of townhouses and as such, the children of some of the tenants have been allowed to turn the streets into a virtual skateboard park with total disregard for the residents' right to quiet enjoyment. As such, we will probably end up in a 55+ community by default although we are really too young, just to enjoy the peace and quiet.
Good Luck!

Old 05-16-2010, 06:21 PM

4 posts, read 7,506 times
I think Durham would be perfect.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:45 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Check out NW Raleigh and the Brier Creek area. it's 10-15 mins from RTP. I have a friend who lives in the area and she who works in Durham. She loves the quick commute, shopping, proximity to airport. Brier Creek has single family homes and townhomes. There a few single family and townhomes in the area between Crabtree Valley Mall and I-540. There's one on the left of Glenwood called Long Lake??? It looks like a nice newish community. A local realtor can tell you more about this area. There are also lots of newer communities in Morrisville. Twin Lakes is one. They have a website. Also Kitt's Creek another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary