Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 09:43 PM

8 posts, read 16,634 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this City-Data forum, and I was so excited to find it because I reallyyy need your help.

I'm in my mid50s, single, female professional, and I'll be relocating to the Raleigh area in the upcoming months. I really need some advice of where I should live, as I am not that familiar with the area. I am looking to actually buy a house and my price range is between the upper 300k to lower 400k. I'm also looking for...

- A neighborhood that's not predominantly families with kids.. I want to be in a neighborhood with like minded individuals: intellectual, physically active, artsy...
- Preferably a newer, high quality property, 2200-2400 sq ft
- Within approx 25 miles of RTP

Basically, I just want to be located in a neighborhood and around people who are like me... single, a little 'older' but still active, current, and cultured... if that makes sense. I've heard the Raleigh area really attacts younger families with kids and obviously college-aged students, and although that's great, I'd prefer to be more in an area that attracts more individuals with my demographic.

Any suggestions? I know these type places are out there, but please help me out to find them!

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 09:51 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Within 25 miles of RTP is going to be North Raleigh, Wake Forest, Cary/Morrisville or Apex.

With your price range, you should have no problem finding what you want. Our n'hoods aren't really set up as all one age group, unless you were to move into a 55+ Active Adult Community, which may not be what you want at this time.

Any n'hood that you are considering requires you to drive around, day and night, to see how you feel about the n'hood, what goes on at different times of the day, lighting, etc. Otherwise, I don't know anyone that can tell you who lives in each house and their ages. RE Agents are not allowed (by federal law) to discuss anyone under the age of 18, whether you want them or not.

Vicki

Old 04-03-2010, 10:12 PM

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, I don't think that a 55+ Active Adult Community is what I'm really looking for.

I really wish I had the time to drive around, but my ability to visit the area thoroughly before the move is going to be minimal, at best. I agree that it's hard to tell who lives in each house, and federal laws, etc. Is anyone out there knowledgeable about some specific neighborhoods or lives in places as I described? The search is just a little overwhelming because it seems as if there are so many different suberbs in the area! I've talked to a few RE agents, but I wanted to get some real opinions as well

Steer me in the right direction!

Old 04-03-2010, 10:22 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Well, there are some areas that are considered more desirable than others.

North Raleigh, Wake Forest, Cary and Apex tend to be the more desirable areas based on schools, shopping, etc.

So...depending on how much you can spend...would depend on where you will end up.

So, if you said you wanted brand new and could spend $200,000, you wouldn't end up in those more desirable areas but you may end up in the next group of desirable areas...make sense?

Vicki

As an added note...you may find that in your price range, people can afford a nice house and a nice townhouse but the more members in your family, you would choose a house so a townhouse may fit more into your description of what you are looking for. Maybe.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:30 PM

Yes, that definitely makes sense.

I've actually looked at a few areas in Wake Forest and Cary, but they just seem a lot more family-orientented than I'm looking for as a single professional. I'm not saying all of the Wake Forest area or Cary area is like that as a whole, but maybe certain subdivisions or neighborhoods are more than others.

I just didn't know if there were any specific neighborhood communities or even high end condominium communities that seemed to be what I was describing? Does anyone know of any?.... I do feel like I'm searching for a needle in a haystack, so to speak, haha!

Thanks for your help and patience!

Old 04-04-2010, 04:31 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
I live in a townhouse community in Cary which is right in your price range. The majority of residents are either retired or single professionals. There are a few families/children. It's a great area, 10 minutes to RTP, 20 minutes to Raleigh or Durham. Our development sits right next to a shopping area, so we walk to the grocery store, several restaurants etc. Square footage ranges from 1928 to 2600, building started in 2006 and completed in late 2009. All units have been sold so you'd be looking at resales and there are currently 3. If your interested, PM me and I'll give you more details.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:44 PM

great thanks! does anyone know if any other developments? Thanks for your help!!!

Old 04-04-2010, 09:21 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monet22 View Post
Yes, that definitely makes sense.

I've actually looked at a few areas in Wake Forest and Cary, but they just seem a lot more family-orientented than I'm looking for as a single professional. I'm not saying all of the Wake Forest area or Cary area is like that as a whole, but maybe certain subdivisions or neighborhoods are more than others.

I just didn't know if there were any specific neighborhood communities or even high end condominium communities that seemed to be what I was describing? Does anyone know of any?.... I do feel like I'm searching for a needle in a haystack, so to speak, haha!

Thanks for your help and patience!
There are actually many options for high end condos and townhouse communities that would fall into your price range. Some are urban while others are more suburban.
In DT Raleigh, check out the following: West at North Condominiums, Blount St. Commons (townhouses & carriage houses), Plaza Condominiums at RBC Tower & The Paramount Condominiums. There are other DT condos and TH projects but these are the better choices in my opinion.
For more suburban options (but certainly not too far from DT Raleigh) check out these: Gardens on Glenwood Condos, Ramblewood TH's and condos at North Hills, Bentley Ridge, Copper Ridge & Brookside Village.
There are so many nice multifamily options in your price range and these places are less likely to have children and more likely to have empty nesters and folks your age.

Good Luck!

Old 04-04-2010, 10:03 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Are you being transferred for a job? If so, where will you be working? That can narrow it down a lot.

You should not worry that the area is "nothing but families and kids". Some parts are--Cary is most known for that--but the region as a whole has every sort of living setup imaginable.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:30 AM

rnc2mbfl: Thanks for the list! That gives me a lot to look into!!!!

Francois: Yes, I'll be working in RTP. And thank you for the clarification

I'll definitely look into the townhouse/condominium communities. I'm open to living in an "attached setting", but I was kind of hoping for a detached home(I live in a townhouse now, and although I like it, I'm kind of leaning towards the detached).

I've got a list of "attached communities", now Does anyone have any suggestions for developments or subdivisions that have detached homes and are similar to what I was describing?

Thanks so much for your help! Raleigh is so friendly to me already
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary