Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 01:12 PM

14 posts, read 28,453 times

Advertisements

Dh and I are seriously considering selling our house (here in Northern VA), packing up our stuff and moving to NC (Cary/Raleigh area). We're both late 20s, no kids to worry about...Right now, I'm working as an admin asst., and have been trying to apply for jobs down there from here, with no real luck. But I'm pretty sure I could find a job pretty quickly once we got down there...
Are we crazy to go with no jobs lined up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2006, 01:24 PM

954 posts, read 4,377,287 times
YES----Don't do anything stupid.
There are plenty of jobs, but not plenty of good jobs.
Take your time and find at least one principle good job before you try and move.
I'm not your Dad, I just sound like it.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:31 PM

312 posts, read 1,904,892 times
I had to tell you that I did tried applying for job and no luck. Most of the companies said that they prefer to hire someone who's already established near their workplace instead of out-of-state because they tried that before and it didn't work out too well, wasting their time and money.

Some applicants changed their mind for not accepting the job because they decided to stay, not move; got other better offer, etc.

I didn't get any job until I finally got it when I moved there.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:54 AM

333 posts, read 1,201,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiegirl28
Dh and I are seriously considering selling our house (here in Northern VA), packing up our stuff and moving to NC (Cary/Raleigh area). We're both late 20s, no kids to worry about...Right now, I'm working as an admin asst., and have been trying to apply for jobs down there from here, with no real luck. But I'm pretty sure I could find a job pretty quickly once we got down there...
Are we crazy to go with no jobs lined up?
Just curious why you would leave that area? From all I read the houses appreciated a lot, so the fact you have one means you are sitting on a lot of equity and therefore are not in the position of most people in mid/late 20s/early 30s trying to buy a house and scared by the prices. You alraedy have the house part covered, and that area is booming in jobs ... only drawback is that traffic from what I read. So just curious why you'd leave if you have the biggest obstacle for living there (a house)

Old 08-02-2006, 10:57 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguy
Just curious why you would leave that area? From all I read the houses appreciated a lot, so the fact you have one means you are sitting on a lot of equity and therefore are not in the position of most people in mid/late 20s/early 30s trying to buy a house and scared by the prices. You alraedy have the house part covered, and that area is booming in jobs ... only drawback is that traffic from what I read. So just curious why you'd leave if you have the biggest obstacle for living there (a house)
I wondered the same thing. And,with all the growth moving in the RDU area, they aren't far behind with the traffic.
What's really going on here?

Old 08-02-2006, 09:53 PM

2 posts, read 6,040 times
my sister just moved to NC from Va dc area and made enough off her house to purchase 1 here for cash.......soooo why not move, but i would suggest moving to nash county..which is only a 40 minutes commute once you get a job there..and the houses here are very reasonable!!

Old 08-02-2006, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianblue4u
my sister just moved to NC from Va dc area and made enough off her house to purchase 1 here for cash.......soooo why not move, but i would suggest moving to nash county..which is only a 40 minutes commute once you get a job there..and the houses here are very reasonable!!
Well people generally leave for reasons such as lack of work, bad economy, crime, lack of schools etc, none of which is a problem in Northern VA. So you also sacrifice sometimes living by family and friends to make such a move, (losing those relationships) hence unless you *have* to or really see a huge upgrade in your lifestyle I would wonder why someone would make that move if they already own the home in that area. I do understand the benefit of owning home free and clear early in life as well...

Old 08-03-2006, 09:05 AM

14 posts, read 28,453 times
Well, yes, we're making money on our house, but our house is pretty far out from everything, work especially, so the commuting time/traffic is just awful. Neither of us are happy with our jobs, so we figure that this is an opportunity for us to go somewhere new...We're just sick of the NOVA area...

Old 08-03-2006, 09:50 AM

180 posts, read 733,733 times
Quote:
Well, yes, we're making money on our house, but our house is pretty far out from everything, work especially, so the commuting time/traffic is just awful. Neither of us are happy with our jobs, so we figure that this is an opportunity for us to go somewhere new...We're just sick of the NOVA area...

That's exactly my wifes problem: THE COMUTE. She has 45min -1hr each way and sometimes 2 or 3 hrs!
Now that we know that her employer is moving jobs to NC, the question now is when. I guess we will just have to wait and see when IT dept. will be transfering to RTP. Otherwise we like where we live in MA.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Just curious how long you guys have had your home and how much it appreciated in that time? (% wise, you don't have to give me a dollar #)

I was looking into that area but saw basically the median price of nearly $500K and said forget it. I also heard NoVa and Atlanta are the next two worst traffic areas, approaching LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary