Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 02:18 PM

476 posts, read 1,676,209 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all of you who voiced your concerns - TOC has responded to our requests! Just received the following email from Lori Cove, Associate Director of Engineering at Town of Cary:

I wanted to share the latest information with you on two improvements. The traffic alert below has a small omission in that it is supposed to mention that the changes at Carpenter Fire Station and NC 55 will include a protected green arrow for eastbound Carpenter Fire Station to Northbound NC 55 which I hope will address the situation that you and others brought to our attention.

Thanks for your help with everything.

Lori Cove, P.E
Associate Director of Engineering

TRAFFIC ALERT
NCDOT and Town of Cary implement traffic improvements in western Cary.

Fueled by citizen feedback, the Town of Cary has worked with the North Carolina Department of Transportation to execute two new traffic improvements in western Cary. Starting today, the traffic signal at O’Kelly Chapel Road and NC 55 will be in full operation. Installed by NCDOT earlier in the month and maintained by the Town of Cary, the signal incorporates a protected green arrow for left turns for drivers going from eastbound O’Kelly Chapel Road to northbound NC 55, as well as flashing yellow arrows on NC 55 in both directions. This is the first intersection in western Cary to feature the safety of flashing yellow arrows. Drivers should be aware that the flashing yellow arrow signifies a left-turn vehicle may make a left-turn if a sufficient gap in traffic is present; a solid yellow arrow means the left-turn phase is about to end; a solid red arrow means no left-turns shall be made; and a green arrow means the left-turn vehicles have the exclusive right-of-way to turn left.

In addition, NCDOT has finalized a new signal plan at Carpenter Fire Station Road and NC 55. The plan will also incorporate flashing yellow arrows similar to the signal at O’Kelly Chapel Road and NC 55. This signal is expected to be in full operation by June 4, weather permitting.

We are always quick to complain so please take a minute to reply and thank them for their efforts and for listening Laura.Cove@townofcary.org.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 04:04 PM

379 posts, read 958,993 times
RE: Brooks2007 "We are always quick to complain so please take a minute to reply and thank them for their efforts and for listening "

Just sent MY Thank you!

Old 05-25-2010, 05:09 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmela C View Post
RE: Brooks2007 "We are always quick to complain so please take a minute to reply and thank them for their efforts and for listening "

Just sent MY Thank you!
maybe I am just ungrateful, but thanking them for failing to plan properly in the 1st place seems rather generous . The actions that they have taken 7 weeks after McCrimmon was closed should have all been in place and funded by the Turnpike Authority before The Town of Cary gave permisssion for the road closure. Fortunately in that 7 week period there were no serious accidents.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:14 PM

476 posts, read 1,676,209 times
Excellent points, as usual. I agree that we should not have had to point out the problem and advance planning and coordination would have been preferable, if not the standard. Still, I am glad that someone did step forward and respond. An ideal scenario would be a monthly or bi-monthly meeting with DOT/TOC to discuss upcoming projects and possible issues surrounding them. Wonder how often those take place?

I know TOC is looking to fill positions on 10 of their boards & commissions, including planning. Would be a good time to step in and volunteer, anyone, anyone, Bueller???

Public Notice for Board Recruitment (http://www.townofcary.org/Sunshine/Boards___Commissions/Public_Notice_for_Board_Recruitment.htm - broken link)

Old 05-25-2010, 10:58 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,510 times
Went through on the flashing yellow onto O'Kelly Chapel Rd this afternoon. Only the second time I've ever seen one of these flashing yellow lights. I guess I can get used to it!

Old 05-27-2010, 07:48 AM

15 posts, read 38,224 times
That flashing yellow turn light is going to cause problems (i.e. accidents)! This morning on the way to work I saw a car speed through a left turn (from Hwy 55 onto O'Kelly) and was almost hit by a car traveling on Hwy55. Does anyone know why DOT/TOC decided to make this a flashing turn signal???

Old 05-27-2010, 07:59 AM

I think it will take some time for motorists to "get used" to these flashing yellow arrows. One should ALWAYS USE CAUTION when a light is flashing yellow.

I know the flashing yellow arrow is to indicate a left-turn vehicle may make a left-turn if a sufficient gap in traffic is present, and a green arrow meaning the left-turn vehicles have the exclusive right-of-way to turn left.

I think I prefer the option to be able to make a left with CAUTION, rather then sit at a red turn arrow, waiting for the next light cycle.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:50 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,982,730 times
The flashing yellow arrows are completely counter-intuitive to me. Before this style of light was developed, flashing yellow was simply used in a ball light context to indicate that caution was warranted but that you had the right of way.

This new usage of flashing yellow still means caution, but you do NOT have right of way. I still have to pause and think every time I'm at one (we have several over here in east Cary), and to me, that's dangerous.

I understand that federal studies have shown that they're safer than just having a solid green ball, but it boggles my mind that people struggled with the green ball concept. I know there were issues with trapping where drivers might think the oncoming traffic was getting a red when they weren't, but those situations were pretty rare and could be dealt with by phasing/timing fixes.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:16 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,510 times
FYI. The left turn only light is now @ the Carpenter Firestation Rd and 55 intersection! I almost didn't notice it til it turned green, but what a difference it makes!

Old 06-12-2010, 02:07 PM

It is certainly nice and as JQ Publc stated it really makes a difference in the traffic flow for those making the left turn onto Hwy 55 and aleviates the congestion.

However, I think it may have cause another problem: Traffic was backed up all the way onto Morrisville Carpenter for cars coming from the Davis Dr. direction trying to make the right onto Carpenter Fire Station Rd. to cross Hwy 55. IMO- the light is too short for cars crossing Hwy 55 to continue on Carpenter Fire Station Rd towards Cary Park.

A simple adjustment to the timing of the light should be all that is needed to fix this though.

Has anyone else experienced this??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary