Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 02:56 PM

8 posts, read 64,680 times

Advertisements

I live in Hawaii and we are currently looking at some suburban options to move my family to. We love Hawaii, but the cost of living, not to mention a mortgage of over 3,000 / month have gotten a bit overwhelming.

Any nice options in your area for a myself, wife, 3 year od and 1 year old family?

1. What's the job market like? I'm a restaurant General mgr of 10 yrs and my wife works as an administrative professional at a pre school.
2. Anything nice for $200 to $250K? (Am I dreaming???)
3. Looking for 3-4 bedrooms, 2 baths, not a huge lot. Maybe 1/3 of an acre. Doesn't need to be new either, maybe built after 1980 or so?
4. Would need to be safe for a family and have that "southern" feel to it for us. We'd love to be within an hour of a city, but don't want to live in one. We love trees!
5. Schools? Good one's in the area either public or private. Any Christian schools?

Thank you so much in advance for your advice. Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 03:04 PM

3 posts, read 13,813 times
Thumbs up NC For 4 Years

Hi Hawaii

Lived in NC for 4 years; a very positive experience.
1. Great job market (Winston salem) area but have great growth in whole state. I would say good job opportunites for wife too.
2. Can get great home in your price range with woods if desired.
3. Generally safe areas; some inter cities with crime problems.
4. I have no kids in school but I understand they are pretty good; yes, there are christian schools available.

Have a great day!

Old 06-07-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEHS61 View Post
Hi Hawaii

Lived in NC for 4 years; a very positive experience.
1. Great job market (Winston salem) area but have great growth in whole state. I would say good job opportunites for wife too.
2. Can get great home in your price range with woods if desired.
3. Generally safe areas; some inter cities with crime problems.
4. I have no kids in school but I understand they are pretty good; yes, there are christian schools available.

Have a great day!
Thanks! Any particular areas you would recommend I search ?

Old 06-07-2007, 05:02 PM

85 posts, read 334,216 times
We had considered Clayton as it has been said on this site to be "the next big town", but it was a little to rural and far out for us. We ended up deciding on Apex. Cary and Apex have gorgeous tall trees in the area. In Cary its like the built the town up a bit, but kept the trees, and did not tear out all of the nature like some places tend to do. Apex is the next town over, so it has a little more small town feel that we like, but still close enought to Cary and Raleigh for what we need. We also have kids 8,3, and 5 months. We are coming in July!

Old 06-07-2007, 05:25 PM

Any input on Rolesville? Someone suggested this area to me. On another website I saw some great properties, 1 to 3 years old for around 200k. Not to sound stupid but, anything I should be concerned w/ about this area? Odors and Nuclear sites? I know, I know, but I had to ask. In Hawaii, if something costs only 200K, it's for sure got something wrong with it!

Old 06-07-2007, 08:30 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorHI View Post
Any input on Rolesville? Someone suggested this area to me. On another website I saw some great properties, 1 to 3 years old for around 200k. Not to sound stupid but, anything I should be concerned w/ about this area? Odors and Nuclear sites? I know, I know, but I had to ask. In Hawaii, if something costs only 200K, it's for sure got something wrong with it!
Rolesville is actually quite a nice little town, hint hint on the little part! It is definitely in the beginning of the boom. It is close to wake forest, within 5 miles of a large development in wake forest called heritage (it is a golf community). There are many new developments popping up all over rolesville, the downtown will probably start coming along soon as well.

There is a wonderful town park close to downtown that has walking trails, etc It is a nice place for kids to play, etc

Rolesville is located off of highway 401, which now has access to interstate 540, which has made the commute to research triangle park quite easy! So, I believe rolesville will only grow substantially.

As far as jobs for your wife, there are not a ton of preschools in the area, when I moved to wake forest 2 years ago there were really only 5 preschools, and all were church affliated, part time schools. There are certainly more popping up, but there are also lots more people moving to the area with kids..............

Hope this helps
Leigh

Old 06-07-2007, 10:26 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorHI View Post
You will that NC is not like Hawaii....you can find a nice home for even less then that....with nothing wrong with it or in a bad area.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:01 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
Rolesville is actually quite a nice little town, hint hint on the little part! It is definitely in the beginning of the boom. It is close to wake forest, within 5 miles of a large development in wake forest called heritage (it is a golf community). There are many new developments popping up all over rolesville, the downtown will probably start coming along soon as well.

There is a wonderful town park close to downtown that has walking trails, etc It is a nice place for kids to play, etc

Rolesville is located off of highway 401, which now has access to interstate 540, which has made the commute to research triangle park quite easy! So, I believe rolesville will only grow substantially.

As far as jobs for your wife, there are not a ton of preschools in the area, when I moved to wake forest 2 years ago there were really only 5 preschools, and all were church affliated, part time schools. There are certainly more popping up, but there are also lots more people moving to the area with kids..............

Hope this helps
Leigh
Leigh, your are so right. Rolesville is a nice town, and is taking off. There's a commercial development coming along nicely in the heart of Rolesville called Rolesville Plaza. It has two tenant signs up! One is a Pizza & Subs restaurant. Rolesville already has one very good pizza place, but it looks like now they'll have competition, so they can only get better! There's also a Sonic burger place that opened a few weeks ago.

There's a lovely subdivision called Lakes of Rolesville...I thought the sign used to say houses start in the $340s, but I must have been mistaken as the sign says $400 and up. It's very grand.

Right behind the Rolesville Plaza is a residential area that hasn't been built yet. Sign at the entrance says "Garage and Cottage Style condos - $140K and up."

What is a garage style condo or cottage style condo? I haven't heard this term before.

I'm posting some photos of the Plaza, and the park, and our neck of the woods. (had to delete a post due to not pulling the photos in correctly).
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for some advice on possilbly relocating to NC.-more-development-coming-plaza.jpg   Looking for some advice on possilbly relocating to NC.-ncshots-006.jpg   Looking for some advice on possilbly relocating to NC.-rolesville-park2.jpg   Looking for some advice on possilbly relocating to NC.-rolesville-plaza3.jpg  

Last edited by swbtoo; 06-09-2007 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: line correction

Old 06-09-2007, 09:09 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Sorry, still didn't get it right. There's a really pretty shot of the entrance to the Rolesville town park that I wanted to share...can't seem to get it in...
so I'll try again.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for some advice on possilbly relocating to NC.-park-entrance.jpg  

Old 06-09-2007, 03:19 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,694,327 times
Honestly, you can find what you are looking for almost anywhere around here. Suburbs of Raleigh, Durham, or Chapel Hill/Carrboro. I think it will depend on where you get a job. What kind of Restaurants have you worked in, and what are you looking for? Have you spoken with any recruiters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary