Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 01:33 PM

88 posts, read 321,135 times

Advertisements

air conditioners are definately one of our stronger attributes here in the triangle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 01:51 PM

28 posts, read 99,620 times
Very glad to hear it! Something else that occurred to me to ask about - is it really true that the majority of restaurants and public places in NC do not have designated smoking areas? As a non-smoker, that's not such a great thing - NC sounds a lot like France as far as the smoking thing is concerned! But I guess if they grow tobacco there, there's not much impetus (regardless of the health problems) to restrict it?

Old 06-08-2007, 01:57 PM

560 posts, read 2,849,386 times
I think these two might break a record or something kudos to JonPaul for being so helpful!! I just moved down to NC and could not have done it without the kind people on the board. I now try to do my best to help where I can and applaud JonPaul and others who have helped so many!!

Old 06-08-2007, 02:07 PM

88 posts, read 321,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmineb2 View Post
Very glad to hear it! Something else that occurred to me to ask about - is it really true that the majority of restaurants and public places in NC do not have designated smoking areas? As a non-smoker, that's not such a great thing - NC sounds a lot like France as far as the smoking thing is concerned! But I guess if they grow tobacco there, there's not much impetus (regardless of the health problems) to restrict it?
You are right in that the majority of restaurants do allow smoking. Things are different here North Carolina in terms of smoking. The economy here in the state use to be primarily based on agriculture with a large portion of that being farmers growing tobacco. Hence the term "tobacco road" to describe the triangle area. Even in my family both on my mom and dad's sides of the family they grew tobacco on their farmers on the coast of NC. Things are changing though, I understand that new legislation is being introduced in the NC senate to reduce smoking in public places. Many restaurants are normally divided in half with one side being for smokers and the other being for non smokers. One of the first things you are asked by hostesses working in restaurants is "would you prefer to be in seated in a smoking or non smoking area".

Old 06-08-2007, 02:09 PM

I'll second that! The internet can be problematic, but it's a wonderful thing for research - especially relocation!!! And how wonderful that people are so kind and willing to share their experience and knowledge. What did we do before the advent of the internet???!!!

Old 06-08-2007, 02:19 PM

Re the smoking issue - I found a site recommending no-smoking establishments if anyone's interested at Smoke Free NORTH CAROLINA (http://www.smokefreeworld.com/nc.shtml - broken link)

Old 06-19-2007, 02:31 PM

8 posts, read 27,568 times
Default Seminary family

Hello,
Just wanted to let you know that my husband attends the seminary. We moved here from New Mexico in January of this year. So far we have met quite a few families who home school, but the majority whom I have met are in the public schools here in Wake Forest, including my son. I am a teacher. Our pastor (who has a doctorate from the seminary) sends his children to North Raleigh Christian Academy. It is very popular at the 'seminary community' as well. I have not heard of the seminary having a list of schools where they tell the families not to send their kids. Not sure one exists. However, they DO offer a packet to new students that has a list of about 20 churches that are Southern Baptist affiliated and a list of local schools, public and private. On the list it states that there are many other churches around the area, but they listed many to give an idea. We have been pleased with the public schools here (of course, I teach at one) in Wake Forest. You definitely get to know other seminary families, especially if you live in campus housing, like we do. However, I feel it is important to get to know the community like you said. It is easy to get into a 'little bubble' and be consumed with seminary life, but you and I know that the outreach needs to be there, too. When are you planning on moving here? If you need additional 'inside' info, please do not hesitate to ask!

Old 06-19-2007, 04:11 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmies View Post
Hello,
Just wanted to let you know that my husband attends the seminary. We moved here from New Mexico in January of this year. So far we have met quite a few families who home school, but the majority whom I have met are in the public schools here in Wake Forest, including my son. I am a teacher. Our pastor (who has a doctorate from the seminary) sends his children to North Raleigh Christian Academy. It is very popular at the 'seminary community' as well. I have not heard of the seminary having a list of schools where they tell the families not to send their kids. Not sure one exists. However, they DO offer a packet to new students that has a list of about 20 churches that are Southern Baptist affiliated and a list of local schools, public and private. On the list it states that there are many other churches around the area, but they listed many to give an idea. We have been pleased with the public schools here (of course, I teach at one) in Wake Forest. You definitely get to know other seminary families, especially if you live in campus housing, like we do. However, I feel it is important to get to know the community like you said. It is easy to get into a 'little bubble' and be consumed with seminary life, but you and I know that the outreach needs to be there, too. When are you planning on moving here? If you need additional 'inside' info, please do not hesitate to ask!
You are a seminary family and teach in Wake County schools? In Wake Forest?
Your

Old 11-11-2007, 04:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,452 times
Default North Raleigh Thai

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmineb2 View Post
Thanks Leigh for recommendation. And oh boy will my hubby be delighted at the news that there's Mexican food nearby!!! Talking of food - are there any good Thai restaurant in you neck of the woods?! Thanks
if you take falls of neuse south almost to 540, take a left of Litchford Rd. and go about a mile..on your left there is a strip mall with a Thai place called Lemon Grass. It's the best Thai food around. Cheers!

Old 08-01-2008, 11:01 PM

4 posts, read 9,786 times
Default Nrca bad bad bad

The staff teaches the test...bewar!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary