Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 10:34 AM

450 posts, read 1,350,756 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to Durham to be closer to my husband's new job. We have driven around quite a bit, and our favorite areas so far seem to be American Village and some of the older neighborhoods just north of there (Westwood Estates is one). We like the proximity to his work, and the schools appear decent, though I'm still a little nervous, depsite the good I read on this forum about Durham schools.

Anyone know families with young kids in those areas? We live in a newer neighborhood teeming with kids now, and I'm hesitant about leaving that, though there are things I really like about the homes built in the 60s - 80s, and he really can't sustain this commute long term.

What can you tell me about schools, neighborhoods, etc.? Can anyone tell me about pools to join in North/West Durham? I know Croasdaile - but how much is a pool/tennis membership there? We aren't interested in golf. Any other, more affordable options?

We're also open to Hope Valley Farms, and the neighborhoods behind Southpoint that feed into Jordan High. I love Grandale and Woodcroft too, but can't get past them feeding into Hillside High. While my kids are young now, I'm not willing to take the risk of having to move or do private in middle and/or high.

We are looking for around 2000-2500 sq ft for under $275,000 and finding it's more difficult than I'd anticipated. Any suggestions appreciated. Oh, and I'd love recommendations of Realtors who REALLY know Durham, including central Durham too - please DM me! Sorry to ramble.

Last edited by FVmommy; 04-08-2010 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: one more question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 11:04 AM

82 posts, read 241,237 times
Default pools you can pay to join

in north durham include eno valley swim & racquet club and homestead heights. umstead pines country club (formerly willowhaven) also has a pool but i dont know if you can join just for the pool. if your husband is working for duke uni, they have a pool (duke faculty club). american village is a very kid friendly neighborhood. i know someone who is selling a house in that neighborhood - only selling because they have to relocate. this same person sends her middle school aged kids to a private school, she wasnt happy with their assigned school (brogden, i believe). the traditional elem. school for am. village is hillandale elementary. hdale's rep has picked up over the last few years. the year round school for AV is easley. you could always look on the other side of i85 (i.e. AV is on the northbound side) at n'hoods like grey stone, autumn ridge, country club heights, etc. there are few others that are off of umstead road that are pretty family friendly. there are many more neighborhoods that are farther north of that area too. as for schools, there are other options - charter & magnet schools (magnet elem - club blvd, charter 4th-8th grades with plans for adding a high school - voyager). there are private schools (durham acad, triangle day school, trinity), private/religious (immaculata, liberty christian). i live in hillsborough, not far from northern durham....i cant give you much feedback about southern durham because i have never lived there.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:08 PM

305 posts, read 761,210 times
In southern Durham, I would check out Chancellor's Ridge. Lots of families, community pool, parks/ATT nearby. Creekside/Githens/Jordan for schools. In a brief check through MLS listings, it looks like there are a couple of houses around 2000 sq ft in your price range. You may also want to check out Wyndcross, which would give you more square footage for the money and is also in that school district, and I believe has a community pool.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:10 PM

635 posts, read 1,617,265 times
I think American Village is a great neighborhood- I have several colleagues who live there: some with young kids, some planning on starting a family soon, and one whose kids grew up there but are now college aged. We live in a small neighborhood very close to there and plan to move to American Village (for a larger home) in the next few years. I know people who are very happy with their children's experience at Hillandale. We are in Hillandale zone as well but got into Easley through the lottery. This is our first year there as my oldest is in Kindy, but so far I cannot be happier with our experience there. Her teacher is outstanding, she has made many new friends, the PTA is very active, & the year round thing works great for us. The only thing to complain about if I had to is the long bus ride, but we (and American Village) are about the farthest houses in the Easley optional zone so it's not unexpected. One bus seems to cover the whole area of Hillandale zoned kids that got to Easley, so it's a bit of a schlep.

Another nearby swim club to that area would be Hollow Rock, though I know nothing about prices: Welcome to Hollow Rock Racquet and Swim Club

Best of luck! West Durham rocks! We love being able to get everywhere in Durham pretty quickly.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:24 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,344 times
Hollow rock is a great pool and tennis club, the pool is particularly nice especially if you have young kids. Pretty pricey at $1200 a year, but if you play tennis and want to lap swim in the winter (lap pool has a bubble, open year round) it is not too bad a deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary