Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 06:45 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times

Advertisements

We have brisket and cowboys! Q shack of Durham and Raleigh (North Hills) has brisket.
Rodeo, there one each wk in the summer at Spring Forest Rd and 401 N. just off Capital Blvd. There will be a sign out on the street. It's on someone's farm..very nicely done. I love taking guests or newcomers there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 07:35 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post

Towns:

Fuquay Varina: is pronounced few-quay vah-reena, most natives simply call it fewquay, period.

Angier (more east, on 55) is pronounced Ann-ger not

Wendell: when-dell
Also...

Durham is not 2 syllables ..
It is 1 syllable and rhymes with term... Derm
You can get away with Duram as long as there is no "ham" in it

You don't ask your waitress if they have sodas or colas or pop, you ask what soft drinks they have.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:44 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Also...

Durham is not 2 syllables ..
It is 1 syllable and rhymes with term... Derm
You can get away with Duram as long as there is no "ham" in it

You don't ask your waitress if they have sodas or colas or pop, you ask what soft drinks they have.
That's funny b/c I've had the opposite experience. Growing up in Durham most of us pronounce it "Durum" and say soda...

Or are we talking really old school here?

Old 04-08-2010, 08:03 PM

553 posts, read 1,271,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I wrote this a little while ago -- "Newcomers Guide to the Triangle." I was a newcomer 17 years ago. To some natives, I'm still a newcomer. Other people added their opinions to the thread...

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...val-guide.html

There's also another one having to do with snow. The world here closes down when it snows, and people use different terms for snow-related things than we did up in Snow Country in the North.
Loved the list.

And I am so glad no one here says "the 440" or "the 540". I heard that in Buffalo for many years and it drove me crazy! Growing up in Western PA, we never put "the" in front of a roadway like that.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:19 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Easter Monday is a NC thing (schools are out, state is closed);
Not anymore! It was moved to Good Friday at least 15 years ago. But yes, Easter Monday used to be the state holiday, and I learned later that that was all on account of some regular basketball game that was always played that day. But I'm a state employee, so trust me; Good Friday's the holiday now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
That's funny b/c I've had the opposite experience. Growing up in Durham most of us pronounce it "Durum" and say soda...

Or are we talking really old school here?
"Durum" or "Durm" is pretty similar, depending on how fast you talk. "Soda" may be more recent, unless you're black--I've noticed that African Americans tend to say "soda" while whites from the area say "coke" (or "soft drink" being more "proper"). ANYTHING but "pop"

Quote:
Wendell: when-dell
Actually just "wen-dell"--no "H" sound. The main thing is not to say "WEN-d'l" as I used to hear an obvious Northern transplant radio traffic guy say...until I wrote them to complain

Back to sports--football is reasonably big here, but NOWHERE as big as in TX or the Midwest. We have a professional football team in NC (Panthers, in Charlotte) but college is really where the excitement is. We have a professional hockey team, The Carolina Hurricanes, in Raleigh who won the Stanley Cup a few year ago, so that's pretty big (the logo of a red and black "hurricane" graphic is omnipresent), and we have a professional MINOR-league baseball team in Durham, the Durham Bulls. The Kevin Costner/Susan Sarandon movie Bull Durham was filmed locally in 1988 or so, though it was filmed at the "old" ball park. The new one is much bigger.

And to answer your question, Ashley Judd did not go to Carolina--but Michael Jordan did! (I just looked up Judd and she went to U. Kentucky).

Last edited by Francois; 04-08-2010 at 08:28 PM..

Old 04-08-2010, 08:26 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Not anymore! It was moved to Good Friday at least 15 years ago. But yes, Easter Monday used to be the state holiday, and I learned later that that was all on account of some regular basketball game that was always played that day.

"Durum" or "Durm" is pretty similar, depending on how fast you talk. "Soda" may be more recent, unless you're black--I've noticed that African Americans tend to say "soda" while whites from the area say "coke" (or "soft drink" being more "proper"). ANYTHING but "pop"

Actually just "wen-dell"--no "H" sound.
Schools are still closed on Easter Monday. I guess it's a teacher workday now.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:38 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,468 times
Oh my gosh, what great info lovebrentwood provided! I'm on page 3, supposed to be painting doors and trim for the pic's tomorrow but this is way more entertaining. Maybe I'll just print it and study it when we're driving out there!

I hope y'all have Diet Coke BTW 'cause I'm real sorry but I don't like Pepsi much. Glad to know I can still call all sodas "coke"!

Old 04-09-2010, 05:05 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Not anymore! It was moved to Good Friday at least 15 years ago. But yes, Easter Monday used to be the state holiday, and I learned later that that was all on account of some regular basketball game that was always played that day. But I'm a state employee, so trust me; Good Friday's the holiday now.
The story I always heard was that the Monday after Easter was the opening day of spring baseball here for colleges. It was a tradition that State and Wake Forest(back when they were in Wake Forest) always played on Monday after Easter Sunday. The event became so popular that the state made it a holiday so that the state employees could attend.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:12 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post

Anyway, please enlighten me on what little things I can know ahead of time that make me feel more like a native. I really want to fit in and LOVE NC!!
Just show the NC folks a little respect and "you'll be in like flint"

oh...and don't go around bad mouthing the beloved pine tree

Old 04-09-2010, 06:00 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,468 times
I love pine trees!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary