Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 06:40 PM

305 posts, read 768,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighmark View Post
As far as State never being relevant in basketball, that simply isn't true.
Although I grew up in Raleigh my folk were from Wilson County. we didn't call soft drinks "coke" we just said "drink". Same with my wife from Washington County.
Raleighmark, I agree on both these counts. I went to UNC in the early 80s and when we sang the fight song, it was "Go To H*ll State" instead of "Go to H*ll Dook"! That was in one of State's heydays with Jimmy V and the '83 National Championship team. We definitely hated State more than Duke then, hard as it is to believe, just because Dook sucked then. It wasn't that we liked Dook, they just weren't a threat then.

I also grew up in NC saying "drink" instead of "coke" (unless I was talking about a Co-Cola), or "soft drink" or "soda" or "pop".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 07:14 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:

As far as State never being relevant in basketball, that simply isn't true. They do have two National Championship under their belt. It was Everett Case and N.C. State that brought big time basketball to the State of North Carolina in the '50s forcing Carolina to hire Frank Mcguire to catch up. The Dixie Classic held in Reynolds Coliseum was one of the most prestigious tournaments in the nation.

Although I grew up in Raleigh my folk were from Wilson County. we didn't call soft drinks "coke" we just said "drink". Same with my wife from Washington County.
That's right. It was Everette Case that started all this madness, and it was State that set the standard to follow. I have attended both the Dixie Classic and the ACC Tournament in Reynolds in the 50's and 60's. I became a Duke fan at my first ACC Tournament(early 60's) at Reynolds. I can't remember who they were playing, but when Duke came out on the court for warmups, everybody in the place stood up and booed them and told them "where to go" I at that moment became a lifelong Duke fan

I always use "drink" and if anyone knows me they know I mean a Coke

Old 04-09-2010, 07:44 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchodog View Post
Raleighmark, I agree on both these counts. I went to UNC in the early 80s and when we sang the fight song, it was "Go To H*ll State" instead of "Go to H*ll Dook"! That was in one of State's heydays with Jimmy V and the '83 National Championship team. We definitely hated State more than Duke then, hard as it is to believe, just because Dook sucked then. It wasn't that we liked Dook, they just weren't a threat then.

I also grew up in NC saying "drink" instead of "coke" (unless I was talking about a Co-Cola), or "soft drink" or "soda" or "pop".
Yes. When I was a kid I rooted for Duke because it seemed like a more neutral choice than taking sides the State/Carolina basketball feud. I graduated from high school in Raleigh in '83 and have very fond memories of State winning the national championship that year.

And I said "drink" too.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:31 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Conetoe pronounced Co NEE ta
I thought it was more like: Kuh NEE tuh

Old 04-11-2010, 09:27 AM

337 posts, read 1,138,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I thought it was more like: Kuh NEE tuh
You're probably right, especially on the first syllable, just don't say cone toe.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:09 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I am going to single-handedly convert this state to beef brisket BBQ with tomato based sweet sauce.
Well good luck with that, bless your heart...

Old 04-11-2010, 11:54 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
This thread is awesome. I learned something new - that "bless your heart" at the beginning of the sentence may not be an insult! I'd assumed it always was. Hee. It's my favorite insult.

I've heard it said at the end of a sentence where I'm *sure* it wasn't used as an insult, though - not to me, but about someone - is it always an insult at the end ? For example, my former boss is a Raleigh native and she would say it at the end of a sentence when we were discussing someone ill or struggling in some way.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:16 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
That is precisely the beauty of the term "bless your/his/her heart". It's usually truly a term expressing sympathy, but if it is being used an insult, you'll never know it. It doesn't matter when it comes in the sentence.
I think more commonly, if someone uses it at the beginning of a sentence, It's because they know what they are about to say: "bless his heart, his parents spent all that money on private school but he's just not the brightest tool in the shed.". Versus at the end of a sentence, is usually a realization what what you just said might be interpreted wrongly, and by throwing in "bless his heart", it absolves you of being mean spirited. "that is one hideous looking dog, bless his heart"

Old 04-11-2010, 12:44 PM

337 posts, read 1,138,711 times
I would say that "bless your/his/her heart" is usually an expression of sympathy regardless of where it comes in the sentence. IMO both of your examples are used as an expression of sympathy. They are sympathetic that he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:49 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
You're coming to the right place then.
You're allowed to bad mouth the pollen trees... I mean the pine trees this time of year! Everyone hates them 2 weeks out of the year, it's OK, you can just say "bless their hearts" after you say how they messed up your car and made your eyes puffy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary