U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2010, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,363 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just moved here last year and would like to learn more about the "new" high school in Carrboro. I saw some postings but they were in 2007. I read that there have been two changes in principals since the school open.

How does this school compares to the other two high schools -- East and CCHS --in the area?

Is there unique chareacteristics to each high school, e.g. say one is strong in atheletics, or academics or the arts, etc...?

Last edited by relowife10; 04-09-2010 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: mispelled words
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 08:29 AM

9,196 posts, read 23,832,862 times
It's really hard for anyone to give you too much comparison of one individual school to another, because most parents have experience with only one school. They can tell you ad naseum about the one school, and you can gather input from multiple parents to make your own comparisons and judgments.

All 3 of the Chapel Hill-Carrboro high schools are generally highly regarded. While I hesitate to rank them, the common consensus is that East is the strongest of the 3. Carrboro has often been listed 3rd, but usually because it's too new to have much of a reputation of its own.

What's more important than the reputation of a school is determining which school is the best fit for your child. What are you looking for in a school for your kid?

Old 04-09-2010, 08:45 AM

305 posts, read 735,599 times
Hmmm...I think East has a little higher SAT scores than CHHS, but that's like an A++ vs an A+. I think athletics are very similar at both schools. They're big rivals in athletics. Both are competitive at the state level in sports like soccer, track, cross country, lacrosse, field hockey, tennis and have won state titles in those kinds of sports. Sometimes they're competitive in and get to the playoffs in basketball and occasionally in football, but there are many other bigger schools in North Carolina that are football powerhouses.

I don't know that much about Carrboro High. I think it's still coming online and I would expect it to be in the East and CHHS model. It opened in Aug 2007, so they still haven't had a whole class go through from freshman-senior yet. Here's a good article on athletics at Carrboro High — Three years in, Carrboro High hits a winning stride « The Carrboro Citizen . And apparently the boys' swim team won the state championship this year and the girls' came in second — chapelhillnews.com | Carrboro makes a state-ment (http://www.chapelhillnews.com/2010/02/21/55311/carrboro-makes-a-state-ment.html - broken link) .

Sorry I don't know more about academics. Looking at the scores on the school sites it looks like Carrboro lags a little bit behind CHHS and East, but on the majority of subjects are above the state average.
hth

Old 05-07-2010, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,159 times
so I'm in the 11th grade at Carrboro High and I can give you lots of information about all three schools since my 4 brothers and sisters each went to East, and I have knowledge about Chapel hill high as well. So first I would like to say Carrboro High is a brand new school, only 3 years old, and is by far the most technologically advanced school of all three. Its a smaller school with an emphasis on hands on learning. We have the 2009-2010 teacher of the year, and have recently recieved some highly aclaimed teachers frome each of the other 2 schools.

Chapel Hill is focused more on the Arts with dance, music, and acting, and the other arts. I forgot what east was, but they are the rated at the top, above Carrboro. They have great sports, but you can't rule Carrboro out because we recently have won the state championship in Swimming, and have placed well in volleyball. I don't really like Chapel Hill High that much because the school is extremely old, and one previous teacher told me that she would get nose bleeds working there because of the something in the air. Now at CHS she doesn't have nose bleeds. Also, Chapel Hill is very large, and like East it has trailers.

Carrboro was built without an auditorium, but it is currently being built and will be finished by January. I love Carrboro because its smaller, has better technology, and each student has his or her own chance to make a huge impact at Carrboro High. I personally believe we have the most caring environment, and the best chance at success. Some of my friends who transferred from Carrboro wish they would have never transfered at all, and Im happy I deciede to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary