Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 04:28 PM

371 posts, read 1,361,815 times

Advertisements

the title says it all. is zip code 27703 safe? part of it are, parts aren't? what do you mean by safe? and is it "subjective" (meaning it's not that safe) or "objective" (meaning all would agree it's generally safe)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 06:29 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
For the most part it's safe. We considered living out there, but there is only one neighborhood I cared for (Grove Park) and decided against that side of town b/c I just didn't get that community feel (same reason we decided against Morrisville). But that was just my personal feeling. Great prices and it's growing, so it's a great time to buy out there. I really wouldn't worry about 27703 in general. I think the unsafe areas are pretty obvious.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:35 PM

862 posts, read 3,548,232 times
I always hate zipcode posts (smiles). It depends on what part of 27703. You have the two extremes of ghetto fabulous and generic suburbia all in one zipcode. If you stay out of the ghetto, you "should" be safer. What specific part of 27703 are you interested in? Maybe I can help you steer clear.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:15 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,532,287 times
As the above poster said. There are different parts to zip codes that range in difference greatly. Are you searching for homes based on zip codes? If you are I am sure you are leaving out lots of great oppurtunities. How about this, "Is ________ (insert neighborhood name or streets) considered safe."

Now to answer your question. I live in 27703 in Grove Park. I love where I live and haven't been killed yet, so I would consider it safe based on those standards.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 13,088 times
Some parts pf 27703 are actually considered part of North Raleigh and includes nice suburban neighborhoods (Harington Pines and Bennington). There are other areas of that zipcode that I would stay out of as much as possible.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:29 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Try this:
Durham Police Department
Put in the particular address you're interested in and the radius you want to search.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:10 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,006 times
I love the whole "is this area safe" question. Safety is such an individualistic thing. What one person sees as a safe situation another may not. If you are curious about the types of crimes that take place in a neighborhood you are considering buying in the best option is to do what sll3454 suggested, contact the town/city police department and ask for a call log for the neighborhood in question. You will be able to see what type of calls the police have responded to in the area. Other than that, go ride through the neighborhood at different times of the day...how does it make YOU feel? Do YOU feel safe? In all honesty does it really matter what other people say about the neighborhood you're looking at? If so, why would a perfect strangers' opinion carry such weight with one of the biggest decisions you will ever make in your life? Just some food for thought.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:34 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
I love the whole "is this area safe" question. Safety is such an individualistic thing. What one person sees as a safe situation another may not. If you are curious about the types of crimes that take place in a neighborhood you are considering buying in the best option is to do what sll3454 suggested, contact the town/city police department and ask for a call log for the neighborhood in question. You will be able to see what type of calls the police have responded to in the area. Other than that, go ride through the neighborhood at different times of the day...how does it make YOU feel? Do YOU feel safe? In all honesty does it really matter what other people say about the neighborhood you're looking at? If so, why would a perfect strangers' opinion carry such weight with one of the biggest decisions you will ever make in your life? Just some food for thought.
There is a lot of truth in this post. In my opinion, I don't feel safe anywhere in Durham. I don't like Durham. I try my best to avoid Durham. Obviously I know there are a few areas of Durham that are safe but having lived in Raleigh for 32 years I generalize Durham as being a dangerous place and "one giant ghetto". I know a lot of other NC natives who will agree. So, yes, it is subjective on you as a person and what you consider as safe. There are a lot of Durham residents who moved from real dumps who think of Durham as a paradise and wouldn't think twice about walking alone through the streets. Not me.
Again, those statements are just my opinion.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:36 AM

26 posts, read 172,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
There is a lot of truth in this post. In my opinion, I don't feel safe anywhere in Durham. I don't like Durham. I try my best to avoid Durham. Obviously I know there are a few areas of Durham that are safe but having lived in Raleigh for 32 years I generalize Durham as being a dangerous place and "one giant ghetto". I know a lot of other NC natives who will agree. So, yes, it is subjective on you as a person and what you consider as safe. There are a lot of Durham residents who moved from real dumps who think of Durham as a paradise and wouldn't think twice about walking alone through the streets. Not me.
With all do respect, your opinion is quite narrow minded. Raleigh has some very nice areas as well as some rough ones too. Maybe you should learn more about a place by actually visiting it instead of formulating an opinion off of what you hear on the news & generalizing. Any city that has poverty, drugs, etc. will have crime and the last time I checked Raleigh has all of that. Also, the little jab about how people who moved from real dumps finding Durham to be a paradise sounds silly. I can guarantee you that there are people who feel the same way when they come from similar environments to live in Raleigh's not so flashy neigborhoods.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:54 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,495,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
As the above poster said. There are different parts to zip codes that range in difference greatly. Are you searching for homes based on zip codes? If you are I am sure you are leaving out lots of great oppurtunities. How about this, "Is ________ (insert neighborhood name or streets) considered safe."

Now to answer your question. I live in 27703 in Grove Park. I love where I live and haven't been killed yet, so I would consider it safe based on those standards.
Exactly what I was goign to say. I live in GP as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Ignorance is bliss isn't it? Your generalization is completely based on nothing but ignorance. Please stop posting stuff like this so people that want to consider durham are not turned away by somebody that has no clue about the area. I moved from one of the nicest parts of Cary to Durham, so trust me, I did not move from a real dump, and I love Durham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary