Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 05:43 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
The second most important question of the day (topped only by the question of why no pictures were taken of GLP's blue shoes) is .....

How did NRG fare in the 5K race yesterday morning ???

Enquiring minds want to know .....
Well, if you must know, just let me preface this by saying this was my first 5K in 16 years and my preparation consisted of no training except for three practice runs the week before the race.

I came in 71st out of 103 racers (ran it in 34 minutes, 43 seconds ~ roughly 11:11 a mile). Not fantastic, but not bad considering my lack of preparation if I do say so myslef.

The highlight of my race was when Elizabeth Gardner (The WRAL weather lady) and a 6 year old child passed me on the course.

It was fun, I'm looking forward to my next race and improving my time. Might even actually prepare for the next one!

The beer at the LoneRider meetup helped dull the pain in my rubbery legs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 06:12 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I know they are a small operation, but I also think they should consider putting in A/C.
With their current setup, I do not believe it is feasible to add A/C to the tasting room. Up until a few months ago, the tasting room was not even separated from the brewery by that corrugated metal wall. I think that once Lonerider expands their operations, you may see the brewery take over the existing building and then the offices + tasting room could be moved to a location nearby with A/C. But . . . . they'd want to keep the tasting room close to the brewery for the tours. . . . . hmmm.

Quote:
I also think they would be smart to sell some small food items, such as popcorn, pretzels, chips or small appetizers.
I can't think of any brewery (not brewpub) that I've been to that sells food of any kind (and I've been to dozens of breweries in many countries). Some will have a popcorn machine in the corner for people who get the munchies. I have been to some breweries that had a separate "cafe" nearby, associated with the brewery, but not connected to the brewery.

Quote:
I don't know why they would expect folks to go to a place like that and just drink beer after beer.
Well then you just don't hang out with the right people!

Old 05-10-2010, 06:16 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I came in 71st out of 103 racers (ran it in 34 minutes, 43 seconds ~ roughly 11:11 a mile).
A person could almost walk 5K in 35 minutes

Ah yes, I remember the good ol' days of my youth when I could run 10K in 45 minutes. . . . Now I'm lucky that I can even walk 10K at all.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:27 AM

449 posts, read 699,855 times
Default Pants ? !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
What weblackey doesn't mention is that she was actually wearing white pants; they just looked blue because of the glow from GucciLittlePiggie's SHOES...!
You wanna talk pants? I got yer pants right h.... oh, never mind

Glowing shoes would be cool though...

Old 05-10-2010, 08:15 AM

6,821 posts, read 9,056,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Well, if you must know, just let me preface this by saying this was my first 5K in 16 years and my preparation consisted of no training except for three practice runs the week before the race.
I was living in Eugene, OR, studying for a degree at the university. I was not and never have been a runner. I did a lot of biking to get to/from campus, often up some pretty steep hills. That and some weight training were the extent of my exercise. Each year we hosted a 5K to raise money for Parkinson's research. The first year I donated some money and volunteered at the event. The second year I donated and volunteered again. However..I also decided on the spur of the moment to pay the race fee and run the 5K. I was about ready to quit after a block or two, but I ended up running with 3 of my female classmates. We ran most of the race, then did some short walking when one of us got winded. The first year I had volunteered to cheer on the runners along the course. The second year I learned how important that is and how much that can help and motivate a runner.

Needless to say, after the race I wanted to sit in my bathtub and fill it with ice. Instead I popped a lot of Tylenol and meditated on my stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
^^yes, very close but not hightops...
i'm flattered or scared that my shoes are getting this much interest!
I think you should be very afraid. They are really nice shoes. You could have a shoe stalker who steals them from you while you're sitting down at a restaurant. I was disappointed with your profile. I was expected a picture of just the shoes. Who wants to see some guy with a statue? I came to see the shoes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I can't think of any brewery (not brewpub) that I've been to that sells food of any kind (and I've been to dozens of breweries in many countries). Some will have a popcorn machine in the corner for people who get the munchies. I have been to some breweries that had a separate "cafe" nearby, associated with the brewery, but not connected to the brewery.

Well then you just don't hang out with the right people!
You opened my eyes when I saw your post. A tasting room at a winery rarely serves food, but some will have a restaurant next door or allow you to bring your own food for a picnic. However, I think you'll drink less alcohol at a short wine tasting than you would at a brew pub where you might drink several beers. I think my A/C comment is valid, considering how hot the summers get here. I guess I just don't understand why someone would drink one beer after the other when there is so much good wine or scotch out there that you could be drinking instead.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:39 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
It could have something to do with the weird ABC Laws here, like to be considered a "Brewery" maybe they aren't allowed to "sell" anything but their own products? If they sell food they would probably be subject to "restaurant" laws, requiring inspection, etc. I do like the idea of a popcorn machine, though, and they could at least have pitchers of water. Someone told me there's another brewery that actually has a list of recommended "take-out" menus they keep for people

Anyway...we were there for the company, not a top-drawer "bar" experience. I thought it was fine and a cool place to know about.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:28 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,656,189 times
If you didn't like the pimento dip I brought just say so

Last edited by MAtoNC!; 05-10-2010 at 09:50 AM..

Old 05-10-2010, 10:31 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
If you didn't like the pimento dip I brought just say so
Hey, even after I gave the whole song-and-dance about never eating "canned" pimiento cheese, I wolfed that stuff down! Thanks for bringing it!

Old 05-11-2010, 05:35 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Red face Food Fumble...

I was so embarrassed when I went all
Leon Lett with the Milk Duds, that after I left, I realized I didn't help pick them up.

Next time, the Milk Duds are on me.
Uh... Figuratively speaking, I hope.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:08 AM

376 posts, read 1,062,340 times
Looks like it was a fun time. Fun to see the pics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary