Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,969 times

Advertisements

I have wood windows in my home (built in early 90's). I have a few windows in need of repair. I have 1 window where the top sash doesn't want to stay up. Other windows where the bottom sash would fall if not supported. I'm looking for someone who can replace the springs or whatever tension mechanism should be holding the window sashes in place. I'd rather not replace these windows. Any suggestions or recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 05:32 AM

39 posts, read 125,405 times
call the window or glass company. they would be able to direct you. contact www.strybuc.com , they will be able to direct you one.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:35 AM

56 posts, read 198,051 times
Keep us posted on if you find anyone...I have had problems locating local guys that do this kind of work and would be very interested in your solution!

Old 05-17-2010, 06:21 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,770,796 times
Well a few years back I had the same issues with my old wooden windows and 30+ year old storm windows and after seeing the cost to repair/replace wood I started looking at new vinyl replacement window(s). I liked what I saw (Window World) and replaced 3. Within a short period of time I realized how much more efficient and easy to use they were then my old wooden windows so I replaced them all. Best thing I ever did. No more air leaks and the outside noise has all but disappeared. Utility bills are also lower as a result. I know this isn't an option for all but something to think about.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:29 AM

277 posts, read 797,747 times
I know of a really honest, talented contractor that I think would do a great job for you.
PM if you'd like his info.

Take Care

Old 05-19-2010, 10:42 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,983 times
I have no clue about the quality of their work but I hear radio adverstisements all the time for Kelly Window and Door. It's worth a shot to ask them for an estimate.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC gal (aka Oregon gal) View Post
I know of a really honest, talented contractor that I think would do a great job for you.
PM if you'd like his info.

Take Care
I have a condo in Chapel Hill in a 1929 building which also has two broken window sashes, so I'd love to secure NC gals contractor information if possible.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:37 AM

14 posts, read 74,631 times
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but wondering (even if there's just a small chance) that someone may have information that would help me.

Located in Durham and looking to repair the sashes of two wood windows (1916 building) before putting storms on all of them. The two windows operate on some rope/weight pulley system. The windows are about 32" by ~73" in size.

Just about everyone I've contacted here in Durham does not do window sash repair and would rather replace them with vinyl windows. I have at least four other wood windows that are in good condition and I'd rather be consistent since those do not need replacing.

Any contractor recommendations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary