Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2010, 12:50 PM

744 posts, read 1,262,047 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone had taken or knew of classes on Photoshop Elements (I can't afford and don't need CS4/CS5) in the western part of the Triangle. I've gotten into digital photography and will like to learn to edit the photos I've taken.

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 01:03 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
I'd be interested in this too if there is such a class.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:43 PM

305 posts, read 767,799 times
I think the classes at the ArtsCenter in Carrboro are pretty well regarded.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:21 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Here's a related thread that mentions online options:
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-teaching.html

Old 04-14-2010, 12:41 PM

I took a photography class at Carrboro Arts Center that I liked. They offered a Photoshop CS2 class but no Elements class this spring.

Thanks for the heads up on the Ed2Go classes. I see it's offered through Durham Tech. The flexability to take it online at one's convenience is quite appealing. Has anyone taken one of these Ed2Go classes? One question I have is, do you get handouts, class notes, etc., with the classes or do you have to take your own notes. My concern is that I might learn how to do something but then later forget how to do it if I don't have something to refer back to.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:50 PM

Because they are basically correspondence courses, they are all print (but online). So I am sure you can cut and paste and save to your heart's content.

The courses are all 12 lessons in 6 weeks, but there is nothing in "real time."

There are some demos on ed2go.com. Here's one:

https://www.ed2go.com/Classroom/Prin...smttwABvcy0%3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sant View Post
I took a photography class at Carrboro Arts Center that I liked. They offered a Photoshop CS2 class but no Elements class this spring.

Thanks for the heads up on the Ed2Go classes. I see it's offered through Durham Tech. The flexability to take it online at one's convenience is quite appealing. Has anyone taken one of these Ed2Go classes? One question I have is, do you get handouts, class notes, etc., with the classes or do you have to take your own notes. My concern is that I might learn how to do something but then later forget how to do it if I don't have something to refer back to.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:12 PM

112 posts, read 237,387 times
IMHO, correspondence courses are not the way to go. Most photogs need to see and be heard, when learning photoshop.

Elements is actually a great program for Digital Editing and very easy to do. I could teach most adults in a few days time to use most features. Also, try Picasa 3. It's free, fun, and even easier.

If anyone would like help, just ask, or check out all the meet-ups in Raleigh @ Find a Meetup Group Near You! - Photography Meetups - Raleigh

Old 04-14-2010, 07:54 PM

I learned what I needed about PhotoShop by paying a college kid $10 per lunch hour, for five days, and learning everything he knew. He worked part-time for the company and did all of our graphics for online courses.

It's such a huge program, but you don't need to know everything about it to find it useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysk8 View Post
IMHO, correspondence courses are not the way to go. Most photogs need to see and be heard, when learning photoshop.

Elements is actually a great program for Digital Editing and very easy to do. I could teach most adults in a few days time to use most features. Also, try Picasa 3. It's free, fun, and even easier.

If anyone would like help, just ask, or check out all the meet-ups in Raleigh @ Find a Meetup Group Near You! - Photography Meetups - Raleigh

Old 04-15-2010, 01:32 PM

Oh okay, well then maybe Ed2Go isn't the way to go...I can just buy a book and do that.

Right now I use Photoscape (free), which I find much more intuitive than Photoshop Elements. You can click the auto buttons for brightness, backlighting, sharpness, etc., as needed and get a pretty nice picture. Cropping and resizing is also really easy. But I'd like to move beyond just clicking auto buttons...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary