Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 07:01 PM

7,124 posts, read 12,665,237 times

Advertisements

and I enjoyed my silent visit with the tree. We talked about the last couple thousand years or so.

I love that...they are so wise...and gentle, aren't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 09:36 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,022 times
Here's one more redwood photo I attached yesterday in another topic related to redwood handouts and packets.

This coast redwood near Crescent City and Hiouchi, CA.

It's in the same grove as one of the other redwoods I posted earlier. Neither one is the largest in that grove. But I think this one is one of the better photo ops.

One thing that's remarkable, is that these trees began as little bitty seeds. All this potential is included in one redwood seed.

Last edited by mdvaden; 04-15-2010 at 09:48 AM..

Old 04-15-2010, 12:53 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
That is absolutely mindblowing. Even the ferns are gigantic, so you look miniaturized!

Old 04-15-2010, 04:37 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
That is absolutely mindblowing. Even the ferns are gigantic, so you look miniaturized!
You can see a Dawn Redwood (not as big as the Duke Garden one) at Keifer Landscaping in Durham on Alston Ave. I think he planted it about 10 years ago. It's big. Not Sequoia big, but big for a 10 year old tree.

My parents bought a few redwood seedlings from the Redwood Forest in Cali. They live near the coast here in NC. The seedlings lived for about a year in a pot and then it died. The same thing happened with Fir Tree Seedlings that I sent them from Oregon. My parents can grow just about anything .... so I figured if they couldn't get them to live here then I'm not going to try. But I do miss the fir trees in Oregon and the occasional Redwood. They are just such majestic trees. My husband says we should just make a cut one out of plywood... quicker, cheaper, and probably more likely to be successful. Not to mention it would do a good job of screening out the neighbor's yard.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:

Your post mentioning ferns reminded me of another photo.

There is another fern that usually grows up on the redwood trees. Called Polypodium scouleri. And its frond are usually just 1/3 to 1/2 the size of western sword fern fronds.

In the photo at the link below, compare how large the Polypodium fronds are compared to the climbers legs.

Research climber suspended over natural fern garden in redwood tree

The ferns are growing in like 2 feet to 3 feet of a canopy soil that has accumulated over the centuries. 200 to 300 feet up.

The scientist in the photo was included in the October 2009 National Geographic cover story on coast redwoods. This is more or less where they spend their time between September and January.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:37 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,487 times
Having lived in CA for 32 years, I spent a lot of time in the areas where the sequoias and redwoods live. The trees from the Humboldt county area will not do well outside of the region because of the soil requirement and the weather will be too warm for them. They live where the temps hover in the 50-60 degree range and get a lot of moisture (rain and fog) that they need. Their root system only runs about 6-8 feet but spreads out very wide in relation to their area.

Sequoias might fare better since they do grow in the Sierra Nevada foothills where it can get warm during the summer. Keep in mind that their root system is very large also and will require a fairly large spot somewhere in order to grow well. Check out the nutrients found in the soils of Humboldt (redwood) and Calaveras (sequoia) counties where they grow to see how you can meet their needs. I wish you well with your tree planting!!!!

Old 06-20-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I recently took a trip to Muir Woods and am obsessed with these trees. Apparently, long ago we had giant sequoias (more near the mountains). I bought my little sequoia seeds from the gift shop and will plant them in a planter.

Anyway, I was wondering if we have any such trees anywhere in the triangle? Apparently there's a redwood somewhere in Virginia and a Giant Sequoia somewhere in South Carolina. It looks like we are in the growing zones so I wonder if anyone has heard of one around ?

If anyone cares to some Sequoiadendron images in relation to the growth aspect of this topic, feel free to look in the Portland, Oregon, thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/portl...oods-pics.html

If you can find a climate table site, you might find it interesting to compare your Raleigh, NC climate to the Portland, OR, climate as a partial gauge for growth potential of this species.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-20-2010 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: Deleted off-topic comments

Old 07-04-2010, 06:18 PM

963 posts, read 2,410,643 times
Quote:
I recently took a trip to Muir Woods and am obsessed with these trees. Apparently, long ago we had giant sequoias (more near the mountains). I bought my little sequoia seeds from the gift shop and will plant them in a planter.

Anyway, I was wondering if we have any such trees anywhere in the triangle? Apparently there's a redwood somewhere in Virginia and a Giant Sequoia somewhere in South Carolina. It looks like we are in the growing zones so I wonder if anyone has heard of one around ?
There's a grove of redwoods in Bryson City, in the SW NC mountains. They tend to not grow nearly as tall in the southeast, but otherwise they will grow fine. Redwoods and sequoias are both fairly close relatives of bald cypress trees (which likewise are VERY long-lived trees), which are native to the coastal southeast, so it's not that far-fetched of an idea at all.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Curious ...

So how are the small seeds doing now?

Someone gave me a Sequoia seedling about 8 inches tall and its about 14 inches tall now. The Eucalytus seedling I got from them is toast after the cold snap we had last November or December when temps dipped into the teens. But the Sequoia seedling is doing fine.

Did you get an germination? Growth?

Old 04-26-2011, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 11,293 times
I'll have you know I live near Asheville, NC and I have dawn sequoia in my backyard that is no less than three feet in diameter at the base and at least 80 feet high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary