Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 04:13 PM

3 posts, read 3,790 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved here for IL in '98; he passed away in '01 and I'm still wondering how to find friends. It's so true if you are a NORTHERN, they don't want to be friends with you, no matter what you may think! They don't care for physically conscious, educated, experienced, wealthy, or motivated types. I sold my Porsche, my beautiful large home, bought an SUV and a small home, never talk about my accomplishments, for the sheer sake of trying to fit in. The #1 question when I meet someone is where are you from!! It's down hill from there. I've done all these suggestions above and feel, despite the beautiful blues sky, beach, mountains, awesome weather, I must move back to IL to find happiness with friends, that's giving up a lot to me, but years of this loneliness has just broken me. If anyone knows someone from IL that would like to meet up PLEASE ask them to get up with me. Until then, I'm still reading how to make friends in the South!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 04:18 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
The friends that I've made here are because I joined a social club related to my hobby. I'm "friendly" with my neighbors and coworkers, but it's not like I'd hang out with them. My hobby has different aspects that allow different kinds of activities: monthly meetings, day trips, overnight trips, technical discussions, parties, etc. The only problem is that we're all white males. Not much diversity.
GOLF??? Just a guess.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:29 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
GOLF??? Just a guess.
Wrong. My hobby is homebrewing. You couldn't get that it had something to do with alcohol from my status and user profile?

Old 08-04-2013, 05:37 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyview40 View Post
My husband and I moved here for IL in '98; he passed away in '01 and I'm still wondering how to find friends. It's so true if you are a NORTHERN, they don't want to be friends with you, no matter what you may think! They don't care for physically conscious, educated, experienced, wealthy, or motivated types. I sold my Porsche, my beautiful large home, bought an SUV and a small home, never talk about my accomplishments, for the sheer sake of trying to fit in. The #1 question when I meet someone is where are you from!! It's down hill from there. I've done all these suggestions above and feel, despite the beautiful blues sky, beach, mountains, awesome weather, I must move back to IL to find happiness with friends, that's giving up a lot to me, but years of this loneliness has just broken me. If anyone knows someone from IL that would like to meet up PLEASE ask them to get up with me. Until then, I'm still reading how to make friends in the South!
Sounds like some of the people around you are morons. I have a lot of northern friends and southern friends. Personally I don't care if a person is poor or extremely wealthy. I have had friends in both extremes. It's more of a matter of how they carry themselves. There's bad eggs in all categories.

Embrace who you are and don't try to change that (unless you are/were flaunting your achievements rather loudly like nobody else mattered). In my experience meetup groups are a great resource. You are instantly around people that like something you like. Odds are they probably like more things you like and some percentage of that could be potential close friends. The key is finding an extremely active meetup group and not one that stagnates from month to month.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:56 PM

19 posts, read 32,698 times
me and my wife has the same problem!!!! geez 3 years and the only people we talk to is our customers.....

Old 08-04-2013, 07:39 PM

DPK, Thanks for your vote, to be who you are. Just an fyi...I am rather shy, and wouldn't say I'm one to brag but if I've experienced something we are talking about I use to contribute mine. But now I've learned to ask more than sharing mine. I feel everyone else can relate to those experiences ez'r than where I'm from. Being new to this site, how to find a meetup group?

Old 08-04-2013, 07:43 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Being new to this site, how to find a meetup group?
I highly recommend meetup.com for all your meetup needs. I've had great success finding people of like interests around here.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:53 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I highly recommend meetup.com for all your meetup needs. I've had great success finding people of like interests around here.
I second meetup,com. It is a resource for meeting other people with similar interests. You can find people based on age, hobby or life situation (parent, widow, single).

Old 08-04-2013, 08:35 PM

Thanks for the link! I've registered and have looked into some, can't wait to get to some....

Old 08-05-2013, 12:51 AM

15 posts, read 27,456 times
Quote:
It's so true if you are a NORTHERN, they don't want to be friends with you, no matter what you may think! They don't care for physically conscious, educated, experienced, wealthy, or motivated types.
Yeah... I'm thinking this attitude represents more of a problem than does your place of origin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary