Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 12:08 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times

Advertisements

I live in a smaller neighborhood (around 65 homes) but many owners have dogs. They range from big dogs to little wiener dogs. Lately we have been having problems with just about everyone with a dog allowing their dogs outside unleashed. I'm not saying they let them roam around the neighborhood, just that when the owners take them for a walk or have the dog out in the front yard with them that the dog is unleashed under the assumption that it will stay with their owner.

However recently there was an incident in my neighborhood where a resident was walking their dog (on a leash) and another resident's dog who was unleashed and laying on their front porch ran up to the leashed dog and attacked it and caused enough injury to warrant an emergency trip to the vet.

Our HOA has sent letters to the residents warning them that Raleigh has an ordinance requiring dogs be kept on leashes and that an unleashed dog can get you a fine from Raleigh Animal Control and in turn a find from the HOA, but the residents seem to more or less be ignoring this. I don't have a dog, but I am a little shocked at all the dog owners who allow their dogs to be outside without a leash. It would seem that they all feel as long as they are nearby they have the dog under control and don't think their dog is a threat to other dogs (or people) until after it is too late.

Has this been a problem in your neighborhood? What did your residents do about it? I don't want to alienate the dog owners in my neighborhood but I think all dogs, whether they are those little lap dogs or big German shepards need to be on leashes when outside for their own protection as well as the protection of the other dogs. Am I nuts?

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 04-14-2010 at 12:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 12:21 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,719,746 times
Yes, we have our share. There is one family that has two dogs that are always getting out. I called the owners once and they were nice and said there was a broken fence they would take care of. Couple weeks later the dogs are out almost everyother day so I finally had enough and called Animal Control.They went ahead and called the owners and gave them a verbal notice and said next time they will be given a citation. BUT Animal Control said I HAVE TO TAKE A PHOTO AND TIME DATE IT AND SEND TO THEM. Oh brother, so what I'll do next time is call AC and have them pick up the dogs (they had tags) so the owner will get off their butts and be a good owner. Too bad we can't have the officers pick up bad owners. This is in WF.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:23 PM

881 posts, read 2,252,795 times
It's been a problem at my apartment complex. We also had other dogs attacked. Now since I am at a complex they can just fine and they even encourage us to turn people in . Of course if they violate it too much they can just evict them.

perhaps your HOA can also start fining?

Old 04-14-2010, 12:27 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
Yes it's a problem, but it's a dog from outside the neighborhood! It will come up to my dogs when they are in the fenced in yard and my dogs start barking like crazy. I hate the nuisance it causes and I am scared that the dog is going to get hit when it is running down the road our neighborhood is on. I've had animal control come out a few times trying to catch it so they can take it to it's owner. It has a collar, but the dog is too skittish and won't let me look at it.

It makes me so mad to see leashless dogs because they will run up to leashed dogs who feel threatened and that's how a lot of fights start. As a pet sitter and dog owner I've been approached by leashless dogs and even though nothing has happened it is initially scary and then quite annoying when you are walking your your dog who is distracted by the other dog who is following or barking at you and your dog. It's quite a shame how many careless dog owners are out there, and really sad when something bad happens.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:30 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,393,259 times
No leash law in your area?

Old 04-14-2010, 12:35 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
Not at all here, but we do have some neighbors with cats who roam free during the day. I'm highly allergic to cats, and have often found them hanging out on my car hood, roof, etc. Besides their claws scratching the paint, they get hair inside if I don't keep the car closed up, and on a hot summer day, it's nice to leave the sunroof open and the windows vented, but I don't want cat dander all over the place.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:36 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
No leash law in your area?
I think most people posting here are within the cities and counties that require dogs to be leashed. I'm in Orange County where it's the law.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:49 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
I wouldn't say it's a huge problem in my neighborhood overall, but my immediate next door neighbor does let their dog out to potty off leash. This leads to me finding "presents" on my front lawn and in my flower beds. This makes me really angry since I have three large dogs and NEVER let them go the bathroom in other people's yards. The same neighbor has 2 cats that roam the neighborhood as well - I've found two decapitated birds on my property that I assume are a "gift" from the cats.

I do notice that people have their dogs off lead pretty often in Bond Park, which means I don't walk mine there very often at all. Although I know it would not technically be my fault if my on-leash dog injured another that was off-lead, who wants to have to deal with that? Plus mine are thin-skinned with light coats, so I'm sure they would suffer some injuries as well.

At least I have a fenced backyard where I don't have to worry about other dogs (but still have cat issues).

I'd love to do something "official" about it, but don't really want to start a war with my neighbor either.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:52 PM

494 posts, read 1,388,012 times
There is someone in my sub that lets their dog out around 6pm every evening.The dog runs into my yard barks at me and takes a p#ss on my lawn.Lovely just lovely.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:02 PM

222 posts, read 545,629 times
I'll never understand this. Thank goodness it is not a problem in our neighborhood now, but it has been in other places we've lived. We always have our dog leashed, but we are constantly in tense situations with other unleashed dogs. My dog is a bit of an alpha even though he is neutered, and it causes big problems with other males. He was attacked once by an unleashed dog. He received multiple wounds to his face (and still has the scars) all while I was two feet away holding the other end of his leash. It was terrible. Many dog owners will swear that their dog is always so good and never wanders off, but it never seems to matter when our dog is around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary