U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2010, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 8,480 times

Advertisements

hi,
we are planning a vacation from raleigh to myrtle beach. is there any vacation spot halfway between these two places that we can cover while coming back? (we have already seen wilmington.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 11:13 AM

1,357 posts, read 3,798,998 times
There is always South of the Border, the sketchiest 'theme park' in existence! :P

Old 04-15-2010, 11:29 AM

41 posts, read 168,605 times
Home - Lake Leamon Campground

Depends on your definition of fun, I guess. This is one of the lakes we pass on the way to Wilmington.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:29 PM

932 posts, read 2,949,905 times
I remember going to South of the Border when I was little, in the early 80's. We stopped a few weeks back and ick...That has to be the filthiest place on earth. Everything was covered in grime. It was also the first time in years that I have taken 95 to get home. I prefer taking Highway 17 to 40E. If you go that route, you'll pass right by the Battleship. That's always fun. If you wanted a little bit longer excursion you could through Southport and ride the ferry to Ft. Fisher, stop at the aquarium, continue through Kure and Carolina Beaches and hit 40 in Wilmington.

http://www.battleshipnc.com/page1.php (broken link)

ETA: There's also the Duplin Winery. www.duplinwinery.com

Old 04-15-2010, 02:26 PM

305 posts, read 725,907 times
The short answer to your question is "no".

The long answer is you could probably find _something_ to stop and see, but there's really nothing of note except maybe a historical site if you've already done wilmywood and surroundings. Wilmington is really the best attraction in the area.

If you're just jonesing for something to see you could stop at the 82nd Airborne Museum in Fayetteville, or the arsenal there.

You could go to Moore's Creek Battlefield near Wilmington or the Bentonville Battlefield in Four Oaks between Benson and Goldsboro.

But, really unless you want to explore the Smithfield pork plant in Tarheel (which is the biggest meat packing plant in the world) you'd do best to just head straight home. And I say that as a native of NC and of the region through which you shall be driving.

There is a lot to do in Wilmington and the surrounding area (the battleship, ft fisher, aquarium, etc) if you didn't do that on the first go 'round otherwise,
maybe drive up through Calabash and get a shrimp sandwich at the Seafood Hut and then come on home.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:17 PM

13,301 posts, read 21,416,761 times
The only thing that I ever found between the two (taking the old route before I40 was completed to the coast) were ticket writing cops in Bladen County.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:41 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
There is always South of the Border, the sketchiest 'theme park' in existence! :P
You know, I totally have to agree with this. Don't be sucked in by the Pedro billboards. It may look like Pedro is having a great time, but really its just a tourist stop that you may wished you showered upon leaving. Don't get me wrong, I'm not ashamed to admit I stop there EVERY TIME WE GO TO MYRTLE BEACH, but only because I have kids who LOVE to take pictures on top of all the animal statues. Don't eat any food there, careful crossing the road and most importantly, use hand sanitizer.

I just so happen to be an expert on things to do in Myrtle Beach (especially with kids) so feel free to email if you need any tips. Otherwise, I would just enjoy the 4 hour drive. There is a great outlet center once you arrive in MB that's worth getting out for but other than that, I would just keep on driving.

Have fun!

Old 04-16-2010, 07:28 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,241,640 times
In that general area:
NC Historic Sites - Brunswick Town/Fort Anderson

I haven't been there in a long time. Just remember enjoying it.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:40 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,893,740 times
Default Southport

Just outside Wilmington, and accessible off HWY 17 at several points including HWY 133, lies a little town on the water that is worth a stop -- for lunch, and walking around to see the old homes nestled in the huge live oaks. There are a few shops here and there. Southport is best known for hosting the NC 4th of July Festival, but it is generally too hot then, for me anyway, and there are too many people in the area for the day. (Still, it is fun.)

You could take the ferry that runs between Ft. Fisher and Southport, but it'd be best to check the times for the ferries, and make sure they suit your own schedule. If you take the ferry from Southport to Ft. Fisher, it will put you at the end of New Hanover County with Carolina and Kure Beach(es), and you can make your way through Wilmington to pick up I40.

Southport makes for a pleasant day trip. You can also take in Old Brunswick along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary