Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:06 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,088,107 times

Advertisements

Leaf blowers are not lawn mowers. Leaf blowers are much louder and can easily be replaced by the simple rake. There is quite a difference between the sound of 10 lawn mowers and 10 leaf blowers.

I bet everyone using mowers and leaf blowers are probably really into "living green." HAH! Between the noise pollution and the gas pollution (and it isn't a small thing), both tools should be banned, and we should be growing dwarf mondo grass, ivy, flowers, or vegetables in our yards and not dousing them with chemicals and using our energy resources to maintain them.

One would think the lawn industry MUST have come up with a type of grass by now that doesn't grow more than a few inches per season. But it would destroy the lawn industry.

For those who get "into the zone" with their leaf blowers, perhaps someone can produce a CD with an hour of leaf blower noise. They can just sit in their Lazy Boys with a headset and get into the "zone" without bothering the neighbors.

Quote:
No offense, but what does a blower matter if you have 10 other people using mowers? I could see your point if that was the only source of noise pollution. I don't know where you live, but the lawns in my neighborhood, mine included, are not going to be cut by an old school rotary push mower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 09:25 AM

355 posts, read 957,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Leaf blowers are not lawn mowers. Leaf blowers are much louder and can easily be replaced by the simple rake. There is quite a difference between the sound of 10 lawn mowers and 10 leaf blowers.

Yeah, its the decibels (not to downplay the stench produced as well) produced by these things that make them really irksome. My neighbor can mow his lawn and I can still take a work call, but the screaming whine of a leafblower is on a whole other level of annoying.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:49 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,865,906 times
I use all electric garden tools as I have a small yard. It would be too difficult to use in a larger yard or very thick grass. Anyhow, had my black & decker mower, Sears weedwacker and toro blower (to blow the driveway and sidewalks, I rake leaves) for 10 yrs and they are still going strong! i have not done 1 thing to either of them...nada! No smell, no fuss, eco-friendly. I hated a gas mower b/c the noise, fumes, won't start, changing plugs, oil mix, etc.
Some of my neighbors used to pick on me in a friendly way about my electric stuff, now they say they'll convert!

Forget to say...the electric blower is much quieter than gas powered

Old 04-27-2010, 07:48 AM

I love electric mowers and garden tools.

The cool Hollywood thing is to get an electric or hybrid car. I wondering why companies aren't pushing electric mowers and other tools... Of course, money. The manufacturers of electric mowers also make gas mowers, and they most likely make more profit on gas mowers.

Sad.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:59 AM

374 posts, read 1,181,533 times
Quote:

The cool Hollywood thing is to get an electric or hybrid car. I wondering why companies aren't pushing electric mowers and other tools... Of course, money. The manufacturers of electric mowers also make gas mowers, and they most likely make more profit on gas mowers.

Sad.
My guess is because most people do not want the hassle of having to deal with the cord getting in their way while mowing. Plus if you have a decent size yard that is a ot of extension cords.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:26 PM

401 posts, read 1,623,466 times
Quote:

Sad.
Hustler ( the comercial mower producer, not the magazine ) has recently introduced the first electric zero turn riding mower. For the time being it is being advertised as a homeowner model. Their commercial version will be introduced within the year.

The lack of mower companies making electric mowers has more to do with figuring out battery size, life, and positioning on the mower than profit margins.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:29 PM

Cool!

Here's a pic of it:
http://www.hustlerturf.com/products....ils&sobi2Id=19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cary native View Post
Hustler ( the comercial mower producer, not the magazine ) has recently introduced the first electric zero turn riding mower. For the time being it is being advertised as a homeowner model. Their commercial version will be introduced within the year.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:23 AM

4,276 posts, read 5,930,607 times
Default General Electric Elec-Trak Mowers from the 1970's

Quote:
Originally Posted by cary native View Post

The lack of mower companies making electric mowers has more to do with figuring out battery size, life, and positioning on the mower than profit margins.
G-E made an entire line of electric powered riding lawn tractors in the late '60's and early '70's. Last week someone in Illinois had one of the smaller models listed on e-Bay.

Options included mower decks (both mid-mounted and front mounted) rear tillers, hydraulic loader buckets, etc. They later sold the product line to Wheel-Horse, who I think was later acquired by Toro. I sure wish someone would re-introduce this product.

p.s. - I hate gas powered leaf blowers!

http://www2.ald.net/~roden/ev/photos/et-lf.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-29-2010, 08:01 PM

401 posts, read 1,623,466 times
Roger- I've never heard of that mower. Interesting. (It's not a zero turn though )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary