Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 08:50 AM

355 posts, read 958,037 times

Advertisements

It's a beautiful spring day in Raleigh. Perfect for throwing the windows open while working from home, enjoying some fresh air...were it not for the ear splitting whine of leafblowers droning on in every direction.

Why do they have to be so bloody loud? Unless you're clearing a parking lot, can't an old fashioned, non oil dependent, quiet, non-polluting, neighbor friendly broom suffice?

/Rant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 09:03 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
Heh, it makes my dog go crazy, which isn't good when I'm running a client teleconference

I'm moving to a higher floor soon, partially for this reason!

Old 04-16-2010, 09:12 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
I once used a nice, basic corn broom to clean my walks and driveways. But then my neighbor - Mr. Jones - got himself one of those fancy store-bought O'Cedar angled brooms just to show off. Really got my blood boiling. So I went and got a 24" push broom with a comfort grip handle to show him. Well then he went and got himself an electric hand held blower with a 30 foot cord. I was not about to let him one-up me, so I went and got a gas-powered hand held blower that I could take anywhere. Well would you know that Mr. Jones went and got a profeesional-duty backpack blower that took about 5 seconds to clear his entire driveway?? Arrgghhh. I just got me a 450 cubic inch V8 Dodge Hemi engine that I'm going to put on wheels and hook a pipe to the exhaust manifold. That'll show him!

Old 04-16-2010, 09:22 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,383 times
Is anyone else amused when they see someone blowing a 3-foot pile of leaves with a leaf blower for 30 minutes? It's a 5-minute job with a rake.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:33 AM

355 posts, read 958,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
Is anyone else amused when they see someone blowing a 3-foot pile of leaves with a leaf blower for 30 minutes? It's a 5-minute job with a rake.
Thank you. Yes, this drives me nuts. My neighbor's lawn service guy will chase two leaves across their driveway for about five minutes. I can sweep my entire driveway twice as fast. Same with the rake. It's a lot faster and easier than strapping an ear shattering machine to your back.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:40 AM

494 posts, read 1,388,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever User Name View Post
It's a beautiful spring day in Raleigh. Perfect for throwing the windows open while working from home, enjoying some fresh air...were it not for the ear splitting whine of leafblowers droning on in every direction.

Why do they have to be so bloody loud? Unless you're clearing a parking lot, can't an old fashioned, non oil dependent, quiet, non-polluting, neighbor friendly broom suffice?

/Rant
I can't hear myself think on the weekend.The chorus starts early and goes all day,mowers,trimmers,blowers,all day.Once I get back to AZ I'll get some quite.You can't cut rocks and cactus.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:40 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times
I hate the noise that leaf blowers make - especially when heard for hours and hours. I won't own one on principle, and I have a lot of leaves on my lot!

Old 04-16-2010, 10:02 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever User Name View Post

/Rant
I was jogging least week and saw a guy using his leaf blower to blow pollen off his large driveway and down onto the streat. I had to run through this big cartoon like cloud of yellow pollen as I went by.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:29 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
That reminds me -- one time I was waiting for a radio station to call me -- I had five minutes before I was going be on a radio show out of New Orleans that aired throughout the South and Southeast. (I was promoting a book). I was all relaxed and then heard this horrific sound from across the street -- a leaf blower!

The neighbor was on his roof blowing leaves and pine needles. It was extremely loud, even with our windows closed.

I had to run over as fast as I could and beg him to please wait for a half hour or so because I was going to be on the radio all over the Southeast. I didn't really know him, and the way he looked at me, I knew he wasn't quite sure if I was just insane or what. But he complied.

They are the worst inventions ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Heh, it makes my dog go crazy, which isn't good when I'm running a client teleconference

I'm moving to a higher floor soon, partially for this reason!

Old 04-16-2010, 11:17 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,957 times
Leaf blowers are so much fun! And very helpful for cleaning gutters and blowing pollen away from my porch/deck.

I do all these things people complain about. Ipod + leafblower = fun fun fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary