Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 02:56 PM

35 posts, read 237,751 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been able to find out their child's track assignment for the 2010-2011 school year?

These were originally going to be released a month ago and they've been twice delayed. Now the website says it can't "uniquely identify our application". What does that mean?

I've heard rumors that it may not be until May 18th until we hear the track assignment. What in the world!?

How do we schedule our summer vacation if we have no idea which year round track our son will be on? I'm getting very discouraged and can't imagine the heck I am going to catch from my wife when I tell her about this latest wrinkle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 03:04 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_eagles_fan View Post
Has anyone been able to find out their child's track assignment for the 2010-2011 school year?

These were originally going to be released a month ago and they've been twice delayed. Now the website says it can't "uniquely identify our application". What does that mean?

I've heard rumors that it may not be until May 18th until we hear the track assignment. What in the world!?

How do we schedule our summer vacation if we have no idea which year round track our son will be on? I'm getting very discouraged and can't imagine the heck I am going to catch from my wife when I tell her about this latest wrinkle!
I'm serious about this, email the board, ask them:

WCPSS: Board of Education Member Information (http://www.wcpss.net/Board/boeinfo.html - broken link)

Old 04-16-2010, 03:05 PM

450 posts, read 1,350,056 times
Track assignments are given out by individual schools - you don't get OFFICIAL notification from WCPSS until mid-May, but a lot of principals are able to tell you well before then. I do think there's quite a bit of variation in when they know, though.

Do you have a student who is new to year round next year? Or going to a different school? Or did you request a track change at the same school?

The information online today is only for students who applied for calendar options (different from their base calendar) and magnet programs, and I think those who got their year-round calendar option still won't know track assignments until later - again, the individual schools make those decisions and notify parents - some are more efficient at getting them done and at communicating than others, but anyway.

Last edited by FVmommy; 04-16-2010 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: add information

Old 04-16-2010, 03:28 PM

280 posts, read 740,990 times
Call your school, if possible the principal. They will tell you where they are with track assignments. ! know that rising Kindergartners in our school already got their track assignments a few weeks ago. But if you have requested for a transfer etc it might take a couple of more weeks. Good luck!

Old 04-16-2010, 03:41 PM

306 posts, read 882,913 times
We got our track assignment in the mail at the end of March, just as our school said we would. This is our first year at this school and in the WCPSS, so it was a new track assignment. I also called today and they told us the teacher's name and how many children are in the class so far. I would call your school. Waiting until May is crazy.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I'm serious about this, email the board, ask them:

WCPSS: Board of Education Member Information (http://www.wcpss.net/Board/boeinfo.html - broken link)
LOL. My wife is writing to Ron M. about it.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVmommy View Post
Track assignments are given out by individual schools - you don't get OFFICIAL notification from WCPSS until mid-May, but a lot of principals are able to tell you well before then. I do think there's quite a bit of variation in when they know, though.

Do you have a student who is new to year round next year? Or going to a different school? Or did you request a track change at the same school?

The information online today is only for students who applied for calendar options (different from their base calendar) and magnet programs, and I think those who got their year-round calendar option still won't know track assignments until later - again, the individual schools make those decisions and notify parents - some are more efficient at getting them done and at communicating than others, but anyway.
Our son is brand new to the school and this is his base school - West Lake Elementary.

I feel as if I am getting the runaround because when I do call the school they tell me the assignments are done by the county, when I call the county they tell me to call the school because the assignments are done at the school.

So frustrating! I'll try calling again on Monday.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:09 PM

450 posts, read 1,350,056 times
I've been involved with two different year-round schools and at both was under the definite impression that the principal or assistant principal makes the track assignments.

Technically it's not official till you get a little slip from the county in May, which EVERY student in the county receives, I believe, with their school assignment and if applicable the track assignment.

But I am certain that the track assignments are made at the school level. Now, they may be waiting on the county to tell them how many teachers they can have next year, etc, which may affect how many classes and how many kids on each track.

Rising kindergartners at our school already know their tracks. I'm not sure about people who requested changes. I know some parents who have been called and asked to change tracks because they're collapsing one track in some grades. So it's definitely in progress, and I would think should be well in progress at all schools by this point.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:12 PM

280 posts, read 740,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_eagles_fan View Post
Our son is brand new to the school and this is his base school - West Lake Elementary.

I feel as if I am getting the runaround because when I do call the school they tell me the assignments are done by the county, when I call the county they tell me to call the school because the assignments are done at the school.

So frustrating! I'll try calling again on Monday.
Talk to the principal insist on it. We had the same exact problem 2 years ago and it turned out then that our son was not in the system for some reason. So the school didnt know that they had to accomodate this student. Our principal was very quick to address this and she got back to us personally with the track details in a couple of days. I am surprised that the school said the county handles track assignments. In both the schools we have been to it was very clear that the schools were the one that addressed this issue. Infact all the mails we have gotten so far from our current principal seems to indicate the same.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:39 PM

306 posts, read 719,521 times
Unfortunately, the schools are caught between needing to get out rising kindergarten information and track change requests and then having to wait until the magnet/applications are released and accepted. The individual tracks are assigned at the school, and they do their best to accommodate each person's request. But staffing is an issue next year as well as class size--and certain reassignments are causing upheaval in some schools (school changing from YR to traditional but some parents want to go to a YR school, etc). Decisions are being made right now that should have been made a month ago--both at the county level and the school level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary