U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 05:22 PM

639 posts, read 1,405,376 times

Advertisements

He Tedesco spent yesterday at the tea party rally.... Sorry people this guy has an agenda and it sure is at odds with a large portion of the district.

Question though. I believe it may be unconstitutional in how the school board is elected here in wake county. It is a county wide district with 9 separate districts within the county. You can only vote for board members in your district. Sure seems to me that everyone should be able who lives in wake county vote for or against whoever is running in the election.???

But this guys speech yesterday puts him in with the Moderator cut: language of this tea party movement.

We have problems!!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-17-2010 at 09:53 AM..
Rate this post positively

Old 04-16-2010, 05:26 PM

31,144 posts, read 38,006,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
He Tedesco spent yesterday at the tea party rally.... Sorry people this guy has an agenda and it sure is at odds with a large portion of the district.

Question though. I believe it may be unconstitutional in how the school board is elected here in wake county. It is a county wide district with 9 separate districts within the county. You can only vote for board members in your district. Sure seems to me that everyone should be able who lives in wake county vote for or against whoever is running in the election.???

But this guys speech yesterday puts him in with the Moderator cut: language of this tea party movement.

We have problems!!
Is the Pope Catholic? Does the Catholic Church have problems? It happens!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-17-2010 at 09:54 AM..

Old 04-16-2010, 05:28 PM

6,253 posts, read 15,133,876 times
Yes, we do have a problem.

The voting structure does seem strange, but only when you have foxes in the hen house.

It's all so very sad.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:27 PM

791 posts, read 4,246,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
What's so strange about the election process? County commissioners are elected the same way, so is your town council, so is the state house, US house, etc. In all those bodies you can only vote for the candidates in your district.

Stop questioning the process and instead question why so few people voted, that's where your issue is.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:35 PM

639 posts, read 1,405,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
What's so strange about the election process? County commissioners are elected the same way, so is your town council, so is the state house, US house, etc. In all those bodies you can only vote for the candidates in your district.

Stop questioning the process and instead question why so few people voted, that's where your issue is.
This is a county wide district. If I live in Cary why should I only be able to vote for the candidates that run in that district?? The schools are run county wide. If the schools were just Cary City Schools well then there would be a separate school board. Students in cary go to schools in raleigh and Apex. Voting should be county wide.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:54 PM

791 posts, read 4,246,001 times
By your logic, voting for the NC house should be state wide, since the decisions they make affect the entire state. The idea is that different areas of the district, county, state, etc need to be represented. If all of the school board members were from Cary then potentially the decisions of the board could favor Cary at the expense of the rest of the county. So the district is set up in a way such that all areas of the county will have representation.

It's tough to argue logic with someone like yourself who is so emotional about the school board, so this will be my last post on the topic.

Last edited by dedratermi; 04-16-2010 at 07:20 PM..

Old 04-16-2010, 07:53 PM

9,197 posts, read 23,483,971 times
The concept of single member districts defines many of our elected bodies - local, state and national. In fact, I think it's more common than at-large elections. (Which, by the way, have been used in some areas to deny meaningful minority participation in the electoral process.) I can't imagine why you would think it's unconstitutional.

And as of the question of whether the school board is "political." Yes, by definition. As defined by Websters, "political" means "of or relating to government, a government, or the conduct of government."

Old 04-16-2010, 08:35 PM

10,599 posts, read 21,142,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
By your logic, voting for the NC house should be state wide, since the decisions they make affect the entire state. The idea is that different areas of the district, county, state, etc need to be represented. If all of the school board members were from Cary then potentially the decisions of the board could favor Cary at the expense of the rest of the county. So the district is set up in a way such that all areas of the county will have representation.
Yup, exactly. Or you could even argue that you should be able to vote in the Virginia (and Tennessee, and Alabama, and Nevada, and Iowa...) US Senate and House races because the representatives for those states make decisions that affect your life.

I am horrified by the tactics of this latest Board majority, but they've been elected in this manner for ages and only recently has it become "an issue". As said above, the real worry is why more people don't vote and let a small, riled up few change the whole Board. I predict that turnout will be much higher in the next WCPSS Board election

But I do agree that unfortunately, we're going to be seeing and hearing this Tedesco fellow for a long time.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:51 PM

932 posts, read 2,949,417 times
Tedesco is a snake. He just makes me sick. He tried to come across as a good ole boy concerned for our kids. I agree, he has an agenda, and so do the people that paid for him to get elected. He's forgotten where he came from.

From the N&O:
Tedesco said Wake County schools should teach children to fish "and not have the government feed them."

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/04/16/439303/tea-partys-values-lauded-by-tedesco.html#ixzz0lK06A234

What's mind boggling..."As a child of poverty myself I understand the challenges these children face. I was a free lunch child. I was shuffled around from housing project to low rent apartments and shelters. As someone who works with thousands of families in these situations today, I can identify with their plight and will never waiver on my principled commitment to our most vulnerable." - Tedesco John Tedesco | Candidate Questionnaires | Independent Weekly: Progressive news, culture & commentary for Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill & Cary

Old 04-16-2010, 10:33 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,316,723 times
I am glad I don't have to deal with thie WCPSS mess. Everytime I hear him, I am reminded of a politician saying whatever he has to. His voice and posture just doesn't seem genuine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.