Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 10:57 PM

6 posts, read 37,655 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating here to be closer to my family who just retired and moved to Ocean Isle Beach. Raleigh seems to have the best job market, more opportunity than living on the coaast. I am 23 years old, single, I never lived in a city before. I would like to live in a decent area maybe around the center of all the happenings. I will be renting an apartment. Is there such a place, or should I be looking more towards Cary and Chapel Hill. I will be working preferably in Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 05:14 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
First, jobs are not plentiful except in certain fields. Beware of coming here without a job.

Depending on your previous area, Raleigh may be exciting or dull.

There are many nice apts but nearly no public transit.

Chapel Hill might suit you, though it's pricey. Cary is mainly a family town.

See for yourself on a visit before committing.

Good luck.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:50 AM

Thanks for the insight! I definitely won't be going anywhere without a job lined up.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:14 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Besides the obvious of gaining employment, I'll toss in my 2 cents in hopes that it helps answer your questions.
First of all, I think Raleigh is a good choice to consider given its longer term prospects. Jobs aren't plentiful in the area now but that's really not unusual for most anywhere in the country. This is going to have to be a decision that you are going to have to make for yourself. But, at 23, I am guessing that you are pretty mobile at this point in life.
That all said, if you do choose Raleigh, the area I'd focus your search on is the area between downtown proper and NC State to its West. Given your age, I am guessing you are looking to balance location and quality on a budget? There are many choices for the budget conscious who want a fun location and fairly decent place to life. Several post-WWII apartment buildings are in the immediate area on both Hillsborough St. across from St. Mary's College and on Peace St. between Cameron Village and Broughton High School. On Google Maps, you can search the zip code 27605 to familiarize yourself with the area that I am talking about. It's a physically small zip code and would probably be a good place to start: even if you don't end up in it.
Good luck!

Old 04-19-2010, 09:15 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Being young and wanting to be near OIB, you might start by looking at Wilmington. There is a college there, so a lot of young folks, and it's a quick drive to OIB (though far enough away that Mom won't be showing up unannounced all the time! ). Greenville, also, is a young town in the Eastern part of the state.

The job market is horrible all over NC, so Raleigh is no guarantee for employment. Cary would be very boring for a young single person--it's very suburban and kids-oriented. Chapel Hill is great, but probably the most expensive place in the state to live, and saturated with recent college grads who don't want to leave the town. What field would you be looking for work in?

Old 04-19-2010, 04:39 PM

161 posts, read 581,338 times
Check out Glenwood Ave/Hwy 70 between Brier Creek and Crabtree Valley Mall (zip codes are 27613, 27614, 27612, 27617). This is where I live and I'm 24. There's lots of young folks up here. I love the location because it's really close to everything -- my job in RTP, downtown Raleigh, Durham, Cary. There's plenty of places to eat and shop. You wouldn't have any trouble finding an apartment or even a townhome in this area.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 8,074 times
Hi SaturnFan,

I am interested in moving to Raleigh, NC soon and you mentioned that jobs are not plentiful except in certain fields. Would you be able to pinpoint those fields? I currently work in the biotech field out here in the Bay Area, CA. How is the job market out there like in biotech/phama industry?

Old 04-19-2010, 06:05 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wongcand View Post
Hi SaturnFan,

I am interested in moving to Raleigh, NC soon and you mentioned that jobs are not plentiful except in certain fields. Would you be able to pinpoint those fields? I currently work in the biotech field out here in the Bay Area, CA. How is the job market out there like in biotech/phama industry?
I'm in IT but do know that healthcare is strong here.

Some cutbacks in pharma. Perhaps someone in your field can contribute more.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:54 PM

I work in the wireless industry and I work for VZW right now so I am guaranteed a transfer, but am looking into AT&T for better opportunities. Thanks for all the input!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Besides the obvious of gaining employment, I'll toss in my 2 cents in hopes that it helps answer your questions.
First of all, I think Raleigh is a good choice to consider given its longer term prospects. Jobs aren't plentiful in the area now but that's really not unusual for most anywhere in the country. This is going to have to be a decision that you are going to have to make for yourself. But, at 23, I am guessing that you are pretty mobile at this point in life.
That all said, if you do choose Raleigh, the area I'd focus your search on is the area between downtown proper and NC State to its West. Given your age, I am guessing you are looking to balance location and quality on a budget? There are many choices for the budget conscious who want a fun location and fairly decent place to life. Several post-WWII apartment buildings are in the immediate area on both Hillsborough St. across from St. Mary's College and on Peace St. between Cameron Village and Broughton High School. On Google Maps, you can search the zip code 27605 to familiarize yourself with the area that I am talking about. It's a physically small zip code and would probably be a good place to start: even if you don't end up in it.
Good luck!
Wow this is great! I love history too.. I will definitely look into this..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary