Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 09:54 PM

104 posts, read 403,172 times

Advertisements

I just moved from NJ / NY where most drivers are extremely aggressive, including myself. BUT at least we use turn signals. I don't understand why NCers don't use the turn signals to make turns or switch lanes. We live off of Capital Blvd which is to me "Accident Highway." Yesterday we saw 3 accidents during rush hour and today I was almost in one when I was cruising south on Capital and some driver decides to turn on red while I was approaching the intersection. Luckily I was able to avoid it but I really thought that NYers were really bad drivers.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:53 AM

460 posts, read 2,421,907 times
Every place has it's thing. Turn signal challenged people are everywhere even in Penciltucky.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:04 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,723,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeMaui View Post
I just moved from NJ / NY where most drivers are extremely aggressive, including myself. BUT at least we use turn signals. I don't understand why NCers don't use the turn signals to make turns or switch lanes. We live off of Capital Blvd which is to me "Accident Highway." Yesterday we saw 3 accidents during rush hour and today I was almost in one when I was cruising south on Capital and some driver decides to turn on red while I was approaching the intersection. Luckily I was able to avoid it but I really thought that NYers were really bad drivers.
So you're not you only one who has noticed this? I'm not from the northeast and I've noticed the same thing to the point that it's starting to irritate me. It's almost as if there is a total lack of disregard for fellow drivers.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:09 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,964,579 times
It's epidemic in Florida too - cops don't use them either! Drives me nuts!

Old 06-10-2007, 07:04 AM

233 posts, read 860,532 times
they must have heard that the vehicle will have a higher resale value if the turn signals have never been used....

serioulsy though... moving here from MA 10 years ago, I've noticed it and it does annoy me too, even noticed a JoCo Sheriff the other day not using his.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:09 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
Down here, even if someone is using them....don't count on it meaning much.

I've seen more then once a person with the left one on, turn right or, it just on for no reason.

Anymore, it doesn't matter if a person uses them or not....they (the turn signals) can't be trusted regardless.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:19 AM

3,306 posts, read 8,559,751 times
Quote:
That is an issue down here for sure. I really don't know why. I mean even in Rural Virginia where my wife grew up (Farmville, VA...about 2 hours north of Raleigh), everyone uses their turn signal. So it's not just like it's a rural/city thing. I have a feeling that kids don't really get tought to use them here when they're in drivers Ed. I mean that's just a theory, but it annoys me too that people will just cut in and out in front of people without using their signal. Oh and especially when you're waiting for a car that's coming your way and you're not sure if they're going to turn or not and so you just wait and they turn right in front of you, but you could have turned 5 seconds sooner if they signalled their intentions. Or when you're behind someone and they'll just brake and turn and you'll just have to slam on your brakes too, because you had no idea that they were going to turn (even when you're giving proper following distance)...UUGGHH.

There are people that do use them here, but I would venture to say that much less than 50% of people use their turn signals on a regular basis. It's annoying, but I guess I've already got use to the fact that, that's just the way it's going to be. Like the other poster said too, sometimes they really don't mean a thing anyway, because the driver will do the total opposite of what their signal tells you.

Last edited by Waterboy526; 06-10-2007 at 08:31 AM..

Old 06-10-2007, 08:56 AM

[quote=Waterboy526;860733] Oh and especially when you're waiting for a car that's coming your way and you're not sure if they're going to turn or not and so you just wait and they turn right in front of you, but you could have turned 5 seconds sooner if they signalled their intentions.

That is so irritating as well. That happened several times yesterday. I can deal with the slower pace of life down here but no signals will take a while for me. I guess you have to take the good with the bad.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:11 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
When someone cuts in front of you do you use the horn to let them know they're being rude?

Old 06-10-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
When someone cuts in front of you do you use the horn to let them know they're being rude?
Yesterday when I was almost hit, yes I used my horn. Up North, yes, I had to use my horn a lot. I am going to try to not be the typical NYer but in a case where I'm about to get hit, then yes I will use my horn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary