Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 11:10 AM

315 posts, read 1,255,993 times

Advertisements

We're looking at having a stamped concrete patio installed in our backyard. Can anyone recommend a good company in the area. We live in Durham.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 11:26 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in jersey View Post
We're looking at having a stamped concrete patio installed in our backyard. Can anyone recommend a good company in the area. We live in Durham.

Thanks
I can't help with the company itself, but you might want to consider an integral color/dye if you are also coloring the concrete. We have stamped and stained concrete on the driveway and unless you seal it every year or two, the color fades. Then, when you seal it, it gets shiny and very slippery. I hate it and it takes a lot of care.

For our pool deck, we'll be doing integral color so that the color is inside the concrete forever and never fades nor needs a sealer.

Just something to consider when doing concrete.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the tip. I would have never thought of that.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in jersey View Post
Thanks for the tip. I would have never thought of that.
No problem, I felt it would be helpful as I wish I'd know about it 9 years ago.

They are calling it an integral pour in case you need the terminology, and it doesn't cost that much to add the dye to the concrete load.

Good luck.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:40 AM

Thanks. It always helps to have as much info as possible. I'm going to build a pergola before we have the concrete poured, but I'm still trying to find some nice pergola plans.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:47 AM

544 posts, read 851,912 times
Guy in my neighborhood got a stamped concrete walkway and patio from a place in Durham - think the name is Hester's Concrete.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:51 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
A few years ago I placed a small concrete path leading to our crawl space using a "walk maker" and mixed the powdered concrete dye with the bagged concrete. The color has held up well and the "through body" effect does hide any chips. As RDUbiker said, much better than a topical stain.

Not sure if this helps, but some plans are available here:

Porch Decks Plans

Frank

Old 04-21-2010, 12:08 PM

Thanks guys. I thought about doing it myself, but it's 10'x14', and I'm getting too old to do that much digging.

Frank, There is a plan on there that is the size I'm looking for, but I'll have to show it to the wife and see if she approves.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:15 PM

206 posts, read 746,717 times
Just some food for thought, I may be wrong on this...I think stamped concrete can get pretty slippery when wet. It's beautiful but have you considered flagstone as an alternative? Or I believe there is a sealant you can add to it to make less slippery(Rhino Grip). When looking at houses we nearly slipped on some that wasn't even wet. We opted not to have it b/c we have young kids.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayandtom View Post
Just some food for thought, I may be wrong on this...I think stamped concrete can get pretty slippery when wet. It's beautiful but have you considered flagstone as an alternative? Or I believe there is a sealant you can add to it to make less slippery(Rhino Grip). When looking at houses we nearly slipped on some that wasn't even wet. We opted not to have it b/c we have young kids.
I believe the slipperiness comes from the sealer used to bring the color out, which is what I based my suggestion on. Most people think it's the concrete itself, but its the clear sealer that makes it slippery when wet. I have almost fallen many times (and actually fallen more than I care to remember) because of this stupid stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary