Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 10:03 PM

43,036 posts, read 76,558,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielChang View Post
I *really* hate crawlspaces, so if you guys know of someone to do a decent job of pulling CAT6, please let me know too.
How high is your crawlspace, Daniel?

We may have a barter opportunity.
But, if I have to take my pencil out of my shirt pocket and exhale completely to crawl... Well you would likely be looking for someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 08:21 AM

75 posts, read 252,901 times
I did this project last spring. Pulled CAT 5e (and new coax) to three bedrooms and the living room. 5 runs total all going into a wash room where the patch panel, switch, and the internet modem is. Hitting 1Gbps speeds and its very worth it. I stream a lot of TV shows from my PC to my PS3 in the living room while doing network backups etc. I originally intended to use this network for ATT U-Verse, but they have yet to launch in my neighborhood.

I have to make all the runs through my crawlspace, which wasn't nearly as bad as I originally though.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:34 PM

1,997 posts, read 3,564,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoj View Post
With Wireless-N technology you're getting a faster link speed than a 100mbps Fast Ethernet.

Actually that isn't true in 99% of the cases. Most wireless N network connections only get 30-70mpbs throughput in the best cases. The advertised rates are theoretical only. Walls, distance and interference cut down on that significantly.

I have been using some of the powerline adapters with good success but you are still only pushing 100mbps max even with the 200 mpbs gear.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:41 PM

240 posts, read 1,176,013 times
Default Running Cables in Crawlspaces or attics

We spend a great deal of time in crawlspaces and actually LOVE being there because they are a source of many home related problems; and a seemingly never ending revenue stream.

Crawlspaces and attics can be a joy to work in; or a pain in the a__! My advice is if you are going there to pull wiring, cables, CAT5/6, etc. to spend time planning ahead so that there is no wasted time or materials.

Also, plan for the future by making extra runs or an even better idea is to leave "pull strings/wires" for future use.

Who knows what the next best technology might be in a few years? (fiber-optic spiderwebs based on silicone?

J. Trent

Old 04-25-2010, 07:25 PM

69 posts, read 176,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Actually that isn't true in 99% of the cases. Most wireless N network connections only get 30-70mpbs throughput in the best cases. The advertised rates are theoretical only. Walls, distance and interference cut down on that significantly.

I have been using some of the powerline adapters with good success but you are still only pushing 100mbps max even with the 200 mpbs gear.

How much were the powerline adapters? I'm thinking about getting one of those to run internet down to my XBox360 in the living room for streaming Netflix instead of using wireless or running unsightly wires down from my office on the 2nd floor where my router and cable modem are currently.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:57 PM

31 posts, read 84,696 times
I feel like my thread has been hijacked. Are there any other recommendations for companies that will run CAT5?

Old 04-26-2010, 10:03 AM

55 posts, read 148,059 times
Is doing it yourself out of the question?

Old 04-26-2010, 02:33 PM

31 posts, read 84,696 times
Not entirely out of the question. The only problem is that I will need to span 3 floors, and I'm not comfortable drilling through the base plate.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:50 PM

632 posts, read 1,836,904 times
I think I gave you 2 companies, and if you google for "low voltage" (or whatever) in Raleigh, you'll probably come up with at least a couple more. How many do you need to interview before picking one? Also, I'd think any electrician could run them. Join Angie's List to get recommendations........

Old 04-26-2010, 05:45 PM

4,053 posts, read 4,794,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgram23 View Post
Not entirely out of the question. The only problem is that I will need to span 3 floors, and I'm not comfortable drilling through the base plate.
Drilling the base plate is the easy part. Finding an easy relatively clear path from top to bottom is the hard part. If you have an HVAC air handler in the attic, look where the pipes run down inside the wall. Sometimes you can snake a wire down through there with no drilling required, but you might have to cut some small access holes in the drywall on the second and third floor to help feed the wire.

If you have an attached garage with an attic, that attic will give you access to the second floor and a path to run the wire. You should run Cat6 because it is better cable than Cat5e. Also avoid running network cable, TV Coax, or phone lines next to or through the same plate holes as AC power cables to minimize any chance of interference or cross talk.

For those building a new house, have an extra 1.5 - 2 inch empty PVC pipe ran from the attic down to the crawl space before the drywall goes up for future use to run new cables if necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary