Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2010, 06:54 AM

86 posts, read 179,646 times

Advertisements

What towns have more/less retail and dining establishments?
Where do you find yourself going most of the time?
What are some of your favorites (please include town they are located in)?
How far do you find yourself traveling to make purchases or dine out (please include town where you live, so I can approximate time and distance)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 07:51 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
What do you mean by towns? Are you excluding the cities of Raleigh and Durham? Cary and Chapel Hill can be considered by some as small cities.

Of course, cities have far more restaurants and retail establishments than towns.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
What do you mean by towns? Are you excluding the cities of Raleigh and Durham? Cary and Chapel Hill can be considered by some as small cities.

Of course, cities have far more restaurants and retail establishments than towns.
Either

Old 04-25-2010, 08:17 AM

Okay....

What towns have more/less retail and dining establishments? Bigger cities have more: Raleigh, Durham. Surrounding towns have fewer. (This is simply a fact, so the answer would be the same no matter who answered.) Cary has a mall and is a very large town, so it would be tops in the "town" category.

Where do you find yourself going most of the time? Pei Wei for takeout food, Lily's for pizza, Triangle Town Center for retail

Irregardless Cafe, Raleigh

How far do you find yourself traveling to make purchases or dine out (please include town where you live, so I can approximate time and distance)? Raleigh, 1.5 to 2 miles (The Brentwood subdivision in Raleigh is very convenient to everything.)

I'm sure that was very helpful to you! If I worked in Holly Springs, it would make no sense for me to live in Raleigh. I would go to Raleigh, Cary, and Durham on the weekends, though.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
If I worked in Holly Springs, it would make no sense for me to live in Raleigh. I would go to Raleigh, Cary, and Durham on the weekends, though.
The decision on where to move will not be based only on where I work. There are many things to consider and I will tally them to assist in making the correct decision.

Pei Wei is the only establishment I recognize from what you listed. Are the others chains or independent?

Old 04-25-2010, 08:31 AM

Independent establishments.

And actually, these days I enjoy shopping at thrift shops much more than shopping at any mall. Last week I bought a pair of suede flexible shoes that fit me better than any shoes I've ever owned, and they were in like-new condition, made in Germany, and were $2. ReTails (animalkind.org) was having a half-off sale. I also bought a blouse ($2) and seven pairs of earrings (priced $2 to $4). There are three thrift shops a little more than a mile from where we live. I especially love Retails because 100% of their profits go to fund low cost spay/neuter programs.

What I don't buy at thrift stores, I buy online. Last week I bought three (brand new) cardigan sweaters (lightweight) for $3.97 each. They were on clearance, and I used an online coupon.

Who needs malls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marietta Man View Post
The decision on where to move will not be based only on where I work. There are many things to consider and I will tally them to assist in making the correct decision.

Pei Wei is the only establishment I recognize from what you listed. Are the others chains or independent?

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 04-25-2010 at 08:59 AM..

Old 04-25-2010, 02:47 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
PF Chang is great.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:12 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marietta Man View Post
What towns have more/less retail and dining establishments?
Where do you find yourself going most of the time?
How far do you find yourself traveling to make purchases or dine out (please include town where you live, so I can approximate time and distance)?
All three major parts of the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hil) have more than their fair share of retail and dining options (I would add Cary to this mix too). Within each of these towns/ cities there are areas of concentrated retail while other parts of the same town have less options. So even within a single town your options will vary depending on where you settle.

The outer suburbs like Wake Forest, Apex, Holly Springs, and Fuquay have some options too, but nearly as many as the places mentioned above. If you live in Apex, Holly Springs, or Fuquay I imagine you will travel into Cary for a more dining and retail. If you live in Wake Forest you would likely travel into North Raleigh for specifics not available in Wake Forest.

I saw you posted about a job opportunity in Holly Springs. IMHO the best bet would be to either live in Holly Spings or Cary. To put yourself further away (unless you have very specific needs) would be completely unneccessary.

FWIW, you will notice you will get many more responses if you post more detailed questions with what it is you are looking for. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary