Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 10:22 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times

Advertisements

Well, within the last 2 weeks had 2 major failures in our unit.

First, the water heater began acting up passing hot water out the emergency pressure release. Called the office. Heater was inspected within hours and replaced early next morning.

Second, last night the A/C croaked with the hottest day of the year coming up today. Since A/C repairs are not made at night, called emergency maintenance after we left the gym at 7 AM. Tech called right back and came within the hour. Changed the part (capacitor) and we were good to go. Asked him what a retail service company might have charged. He estimated an honest one would be $125 and a crook would sell you a new outside unit for about $4K.

So, no bills this month but my rent. Also, the kitchen faucet was replaced when it wore out.

Home ownership, Bah Humbug!.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 10:31 AM

248 posts, read 494,862 times
Two years ago, during my regular check up and maintenance interval, my HVAC tech proactively determined both my capacitors were nearing end of life and replaced both of them free of charge.

BEFORE anything croaked. Capacitors need to be changed out about every 6 years. If you don't have a service contract and wait until something breaks, yeah you might pay $100 or so.

Being a renter sounds like it really sucks.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:36 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,408 times
You guys.... when I opened this thread I smiled . It's just good to know today is like yesterday and tmrw probably won't be much different.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:52 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
saturnfan, sounds like you have a good landlord.

I woke up this morning to find a tree fallen on my front walkway. about 8 inches in diameter at its base. Then I realized it was a BRANCH off an enormous tree that belongs to my neighbors. It barely missed the powerlines, the car and the fence, all of which would have been a huge pain in my neck. Thankfully he removed it for me with help from me and his wife. This is just another example of the unexpected stuff that comes with home ownership.

BTW, the cost estimate for the neighbor to have that enormous tree and a few others removed? $4500.

I can't wait until I can sell this house and become a renter.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:53 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokijoo View Post
Two years ago, during my regular check up and maintenance interval, my HVAC tech proactively determined both my capacitors were nearing end of life and replaced both of them free of charge.
Wow, that's good service. Please tell which company does this and the cost of the service contract.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
Wow, that's good service. Please tell which company does this and the cost of the service contract.

I'm not going to say any company unconditionally does this all the time, part of staying on top of things involves talking to the tech and understanding exactly what they are going to do for the agreed amount, etc. The company in this particular case was Air Experts and they have deals on Angie's List for $40 for A/C service with no contract.

Capacitors are not really expensive parts, it doesn't take much for them to test or replace them. It should be part of any service interval, but it's really up to the homeowner to know the general age of them and to make a judgment call on whether to replace proactively or wait until the hottest (or coldest) day of the year for things to go wrong. That's when all the techs are busy, service calls become "emergency calls", and the costs really skyrocket due to demand.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I can't wait until I can sell this house and become a renter.
You'll likely be feeling differently once you start dealing with ridiculous rent increases year after year that outrun inflation by a factor of 3 or 4, and realizing you'll have nothing to show for that monthly payment at the end of it all.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:52 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokijoo View Post
You'll likely be feeling differently once you start dealing with ridiculous rent increases year after year that outrun inflation by a factor of 3 or 4, and realizing you'll have nothing to show for that monthly payment at the end of it all.
And what about wild increases in taxes and homeowner's insurance?

The way things are made today, it's nice to know you won't need to fix your old home and find a buyer if you decide to vacate. Just leave it clean at the end of any lease.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:11 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,573,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
And what about wild increases in taxes and homeowner's insurance?

The way things are made today, it's nice to know you won't need to fix your old home and find a buyer if you decide to vacate. Just leave it clean at the end of any lease.
Some people will always prefer renting, others will always prefer owning.
It is pretty futile to argue about it.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:13 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syfr View Post
I'm within a year of paying off my 15 yr mortgage , so repairs aren't so painful, and my acre and a half is sure quiet in the evenings.
There is no better feeling than a $0.00 house payment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary