U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 10:33 AM

560 posts, read 2,713,589 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions for a good sprinkler installer? I live in Youngsville off of 98.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 12:33 PM
bta

284 posts, read 1,809,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmeca11 View Post
Any suggestions for a good sprinkler installer? I live in Youngsville off of 98.
We're using Carolina Outdoor Care to expand our irrigation system to the devil strip. Not sure if they service Youngsville or not.

The Carolina Irrigation Association has a good list of certified contractors. We went down the list when we were getting estimates.

CIA North Carolina Members (http://www.carolinasirr.org/contractorNC.htm - broken link)

Old 06-11-2007, 12:55 PM

Thanks, I am waiting for a call back to set up an estimate. I also need to have some trees removed and some stumps ground. Any idea what sort of prices I might expect?

Old 07-11-2007, 12:33 PM

842 posts, read 3,054,962 times
Quote:
Thanks, I am waiting for a call back to set up an estimate. I also need to have some trees removed and some stumps ground. Any idea what sort of prices I might expect?
What did you ever find out? I'm also thinking about putting in an irrigation system, probably with a rainwater runoff urn to help keep down the water bills, but I have no idea who to start with. There are several new homes around me, so I'm thinking about teaming up with them to try to get a quantity discount from a single installer.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:40 PM

Carolina Outdoor Care is great, they are finishing up a tree removal/re-grading project on our property as I type this post.

As far as the Sprinkler System goes, as the folks from where I use to live would say . . . fugetaboudit!!

I got a quote of $7k for a fairly large system on my 3/4 acre lot, not to mention what the water bill would probably be like during the hot season!! We are letting Mother Nature water the lawn until we can come up with a better idea.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:11 PM

4 posts, read 11,038 times
Is this common practice in this area? How's the grass without a sprinkler system? From where I come from, it doesn't rain much, and a sprinkler system is the only option for lazy people like me.

Quote:
Carolina Outdoor Care is great, they are finishing up a tree removal/re-grading project on our property as I type this post.

As far as the Sprinkler System goes, as the folks from where I use to live would say . . . fugetaboudit!!

I got a quote of $7k for a fairly large system on my 3/4 acre lot, not to mention what the water bill would probably be like during the hot season!! We are letting Mother Nature water the lawn until we can come up with a better idea.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:02 PM

106 posts, read 380,219 times
my whole neighborhood has practically used Evergreen Irrigation and Landscaping, but I am not sure they go that far. They are based in Cary I believe.

Without a irrigation system, your grass will die unless you really stay on top of watering.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:02 PM

401 posts, read 1,524,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmshill View Post
Without a irrigation system, your grass will die unless you really stay on top of watering.
This is kind of a broad statement is it not ??? (not to mention not entirely true)

Also, what I see most of the time where irrigation goes bad is that the system may be installed properly, but not DESIGNED properly. There is more to irrigation than putting pipe in the ground. ALL of the heads need to be "in sequence", for lack of better words. What I mean is, if you have 5 heads on a zone with 3 of them turning 180 degrees and putting out 2 g.p.m. and 2 of them turning 90 degrees putting out 2 g.p.m. the ones turning 180 degrees need to run 2x as long as the others. With them being on the same zone you cannot change the time on those, creating a dry spot in one area, or a wet spot in the other. sometimes the fix can be as simple as changing a nozzle, but sometimes it is not that easy. one other big problem is trying to water beds on the same zone as the grass. This will never work because turf needs more water than most shrubs, so you end up drowning the shrubs. Use drip irrigation in the beds. There is much more that can be said here, but I think I have rambled on enough for now.
As for a good irrigation contractor, sadly enough I don't know any that I would feel comfortable enough with to recommend.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:46 PM

19 posts, read 68,396 times
I used Greenscapes and they did an awesome job! Very professional too!

Old 06-12-2015, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 993 times
Has anyone heard anything about a company called Falling Rain, or Kiefer Landscaping? Also, Rainy Days Irrigation? I've gotten people to come out, but so far only one has left me an estimate. They are differing on the price of a second meter, and on whether a company can put sprinklers on the street side grass-across a sidewalk. At least 3 have told me that you can't, but Kiefer, which is a reputable company says yes. Help??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary