Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 03:54 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalnc View Post
We've lived here for 3 years and this is the FIRST that I am hearing about iodine pills. Not one neighbor, friend, co-worker has EVER mentioned getting/having/worried about obtaining iodine pills!
We lived within 50 miles of a plant in NY, too... but the plant was in CT and we were on LI. We were in 50 miles "as the crow flies"- because radiation doesn't travel by freeway!) Where we were, there was no talk of iodine pills in our town, but 20 miles away, where Christy Brinkley lives, there was lots of talk of trying to close the plant, & taking precautions in case a plane flew into it... since the plant was a big issue for her.

So it seems to me that the government doesn't want us to panic. After 9/11 there was more talk of buying supplies & duct tape, etc., to hunker down. But many people laughed it off.

For me, I feel more at ease taking small steps to prepare for possible disasters. Then I put it out of my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 03:55 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,810 times
I don't have any experience with nuclear so of course most of what I've heard was the bad stuff. I just popped over to the forum last night after another fun day of playing "single mom" to 2 boys while keeping the house in show quality AND finding out the people we were hoping for an offer from bought another house instead. I was unpleasantly surprised to see this thread about iodine pills (I have no idea about that either) so I commented. I'm obviously NOT going to not move to the area because of the plant just not loving the idea of it either.

But what, praytell, is so awful in Garner that it should concern me so much more?

Last edited by TXsurburbanmom; 04-28-2010 at 04:46 PM..

Old 04-28-2010, 04:07 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,520,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunadesign View Post
As in Chernobyl.
Chernobyl was a bunch of idiot operators playing with their toys. Oh, and a stupid decision by the Soviet government to build cheap plants by eliminating the containment building. The symbol of a power plant should be the domed containment building, not the cooling towers. Even coal plants have cooling towers sometimes.
"not gonna happen here"

Old 04-28-2010, 04:14 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,958 times
[quote=ddeel;13948121]... I'm obviously NOT going to not move to the area because of the plant just not loving the idea of it either...quote]

Exactly. No matter where you go there's always something... natural disasters, crime, stuff happens. Just prepare enough to feel a safe as possible & get on with it!

Old 04-28-2010, 04:30 PM

306 posts, read 883,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Chernobyl was a bunch of idiot operators playing with their toys. Oh, and a stupid decision by the Soviet government to build cheap plants by eliminating the containment building. The symbol of a power plant should be the domed containment building, not the cooling towers. Even coal plants have cooling towers sometimes.
"not gonna happen here"
I don't think anyone on this thread has said it IS going to happen here. No one has even questioned the safety of our plant. The discussion was about what the results would be. If you go back and read what lead up to my post about Chernobyl you'll see that. I don't care if it was a bunch of monkey's operating the Soviet plant. The result would be the same - that was the point.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:04 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,868,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalnc View Post
We've lived here for 3 years and this is the FIRST that I am hearing about iodine pills. Not one neighbor, friend, co-worker has EVER mentioned getting/having/worried about obtaining iodine pills!
Sorry, didn't mean to alarm you. Again, it's a precaution, and only advised for ppl who live in the 10 mile radius of the plant, zone 1. Progress will supply all residents in #1 the pills. I understand they are pretty cheap to buy.

My reason for posting was just in case new residents weren't aware of it. And, to find out why there is no chatter or official info on zones 2 & 3. As I mentioned, I've lived here long enough to have previously rec'd the annual pamphlets, including zone maps. I don't understand why those of us in zones 1 & 2 no longer receive info, and new residents are not made aware of it.

Like others, I feel the chances of an occurance are slim. But...if something ever does happen, most ppl will be clueless and unprepared. I've seen how our area has been overwhelmed when we get hit by a hurricane. And from that I learned that one must be somewhat self-sufficient. And in this case, it translates as being educated and moderately prepared.

Again, I don't want to be an alarmist and apologize if this is how it came across, hopefully not

Old 04-28-2010, 10:00 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,698,751 times
The neighborhoods around the plant are all quite charming - especially the way they glow at night... Very pretty.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:54 AM

29 posts, read 48,022 times
I know the EC disaster and all and its right next to several housing developments. was in cary at the time.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:41 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,520,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remixedcat View Post
I know the EC disaster and all and its right next to several housing developments. was in cary at the time.
Or was that Apex?

Old 04-29-2010, 06:55 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,868,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
The neighborhoods around the plant are all quite charming - especially the way they glow at night... Very pretty.
Yep, and the way those 3 legged ducks waddle around the lake is SO cute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary