Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 01:51 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,840 times

Advertisements

ok, so I have been pricing and looking at refrigerators for the last 2 months...I never thought shopping for a refrigerator I could be so indecisive...besides being a big purchase, you are overwhelmed by the choices...cabinet depth, bottom freezer vs side by side, filtered water/ice, filter on base grill, filter behind, glass shelves, plastic shelves, the list goes on...blah blah blah...I thought I was going to lose my mind...

I finally decided on a fridge this weekend, went with a french door on top, bottom pull out freezer, energy star, filtered water and ice...it will be delivered the day after I close on the house...anyone in the market for a refrigerator?...ask any question, I have seen enough refrigerators for a long time...I drove the sales people at Sears, Lowes, Best Buy, Home Depot crazy! I decided to purchase at Lowes...not only did they have the best price for the one I decided on...they had free delivery (mail in rebate) and 10% off the entire sale.

what's everyone's preference as far as a refrigerator style?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 02:01 PM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post

what's everyone's preference as far as a refrigerator style?
French door, filtered water on door (no ice on door), cabinet depth (extra fridge in garage)

Old 06-11-2007, 02:32 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,385,637 times
I will be in the market for a refrigerator soon as the buyers of our house in MA have decided that they want our appliances and when hubby told our realtor that we had agreed beforehand that they weren't included the realtor told him to let them have them anyway as we might lose the buyers if we make a fuss!!!

Do most people who are moving to another state take their appliances with them or leave them? This is our first move out of state. Last time we just moved across town.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:10 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,689,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdatlas View Post
Do most people who are moving to another state take their appliances with them or leave them? This is our first move out of state. Last time we just moved across town.
It really is better in the long run to not move appliances that far. No matter how careful, you will have dings if not dents and for some reason they never work the same again after a long distance hall. Just my experience.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:33 PM

460 posts, read 2,422,001 times
I agree with bta. Kenmore Elite Trio. I would buy it again and again. Freezer at the bottom in NC is a wise idea.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:36 PM

Thanks autumngal! Hubby will feel better now as he felt taken advantage of but it sounds like it wouldn't have been a good idea to bring them with us anyway. I had secretly been planning to ditch the refrigerator anyway as it's old . I have a feeling that hubby would have asked a little more for the house though if he'd known that he was including the appliances.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:38 PM

Wanna,

I was just curious why a freezer on the bottom is a wise idea in NC. Does it have an advantage over the side by side? I'm going to need to know this stuff now that our buyers have forced us to buy a new refrigerator.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:44 PM

492 posts, read 2,108,080 times
ARRGH!

I'm refrigerator shopping, too. Unfortunately, the door needs to swing open against a wall, so it can't open more than 90 degrees (actually less because it swings open against the pantry door knob!). This rules out a SxS (my preference) so I"m looking for a freezer-on-bottom possibly with french doors, or with nothing blocking the vege bin when the door is open only 90 degrees. Sadly for many fridges, the bin is blocked either by the door edge or by the (non-removable) shelf on the door.

I have another 4 weeks to shop and stress...

Old 06-11-2007, 04:22 PM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_newcomer View Post
ARRGH!

I'm refrigerator shopping, too. Unfortunately, the door needs to swing open against a wall, so it can't open more than 90 degrees (actually less because it swings open against the pantry door knob!). This rules out a SxS (my preference) so I"m looking for a freezer-on-bottom possibly with french doors, or with nothing blocking the vege bin when the door is open only 90 degrees. Sadly for many fridges, the bin is blocked either by the door edge or by the (non-removable) shelf on the door.
Have you looked at the french door refrigerators? I just checked ours - and the veggie bin can pretty much fully extend out even with the door at 90 degrees. The only issue would be removing it to clean the veggie bin. Still worth a look.

We have the LG french door, water on door (no ice on door), freezer on bottom, cabinet depth. LG also makes the Kenmore. We've owned both and love both.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:26 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,840 times
I know the feeling...but glad I finally made a decision with the french door and bottom freezer...I felt like the refrigerator is used more than the freezer...so why bend/kneel down all the time looking in the refrigerator...so I think the top refrigerator was a wise choice...I thought about SxS, but the freezers were small, even the ones with the interior ice storage on the door...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_newcomer View Post
ARRGH!

I have another 4 weeks to shop and stress...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary