Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 06:28 AM

823 posts, read 3,922,586 times

Advertisements

Indigo,

Thanks for these pictures. It makes me want to go on a road trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 12:54 PM

7 posts, read 28,809 times
Cool! I just stumbled on this post. As an Old North Durhamite is was good to see some photos of my stomping grounds. Feel free to drop in again anytime :-)

Old 10-30-2007, 04:39 PM

46 posts, read 210,091 times
Great to see this thread bumped. I don't get sick of viewing these photos. Love the Old North Durham pics. It's a really interesting neighborhood.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:24 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,964,579 times
Happy this thread got bumped up, it was great to see all of these pictures again! I just saw Bull Durham for the first time. Can't I pay the new owners to let me live on their porch??

Old 11-13-2007, 12:03 AM

14 posts, read 55,962 times
Lightbulb duke park neighbor spills all

The unknown house you posted is very familiar to me. It is on Markham Ave where 15-501 -Mangum and Roxboro St- diverge. (Mangum is N 15-501 and Roxboro St is S 15-501)
Seeing your pictures brought back happy memories for me because I used to live on Markham Ave.
The neighborhood is beautiful and historic, yes, but it is riddled with crime (for example, my neighbor's car was broken into and stolen) and shady neighbors, LOTS of illegal immigrants, and is not really within walking distance of anything.
On the plus side, it was wonderful having Duke park down the street; it is a very safe and beautiful neighborhood park, with several swingsets and a paved trail great for jogging with my dog. The neighborhood pool was closed a long time ago, though. :-(
You should check out the American Tobacco district!
Also, the Durham YMCA and all the other sites beautifully photographed in your pics were technically within walking distance; you just have to be wary, unfortunately, of certain people. Parts of the neighborhood were also safe and warm, very community-oriented, nice families. It is so historic, and the neighborhood is filled with lots of old trees. It's also so close to Duke Uni that lots of students would ride their bike every day. The Y there is GREAT (btw if you love swimming w/out a big crowd and love history, visit the lakewood ymca; it is A LOT like pre-construction central (raleigh) ymca.).
Seeing your pictures makes me miss it, and I think the best times there are yet to come... but as a young single girl, my safety was more of a priority. Living in Raleigh now, my neighborhood is not as beautiful or historic, but I don't have to worry about being robbed, raped, or shot.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:33 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,283 times
Quote:
Another photo on University Drive. I believe the bridge is a part of the American Tobacco trail. Right before I took the photo, a cyclist went whizzing by.
Hey, we live by this shot

Old 06-14-2008, 12:21 PM

26 posts, read 133,344 times
Default Great Pics/Wonderful Houses

Will be relocating back down south this year. Could anyone tell me the general parameters of the neighborhood? I would love to rehab an older house - any ideas of prices in this area?

Many thanks.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:29 PM

94 posts, read 482,061 times
thanks for the pictures--they are great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary