Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2010, 11:00 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times

Advertisements

I really need to get my parents out of their single family home in North Raleigh and am suggesting that they look at condos and patio homes. My mother's main concern with condos is smoking neighbors. She doesn't want wafting smoke coming from under doors and into public corridors. She also doesn't want smoke from terraces beside or below them making its way to their terrace. Essentially, she'd love to live in a smoke free complex but I am not sure that exists.
Additionally, she can't handle stairs anymore (reason they have to get out of the house in the first place).
So....any suggestions out there on where to find a 3 bedroom (or 2 + den) in the 1700-2000 s.f. range that meets the criteria? I think they'd need to stay sub 300K and would like a garage or garage parking. At least the Master BR needs to be downstairs. A supplemental bed or bonus room on an upper floor would be okay. New construction would be best because she's also allergic to cats and could never imagine living anywhere that anyone ever smoked in.
I think that they'd prefer to stay in Raleigh on the north side. Crabtree or North Hills area would be perfect but I think I can convince them to go all the way up to North Hills. I don't think they'd go for Brier Creek or anywhere near the airport.
I know this is a tough one. I have searched a local realty site but know that not everything is there. Also, does anyone know of anything new that might come on the market over the next year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 12:41 PM

80 posts, read 192,447 times
Did you check out Renaissance Park? Not in North Raleigh, but it is easy to get to downtown and to Cary. Since your parents don't have to be concerned about what is going to happen with the schools, I think the neighborhood would be a good fit. They have townhouses and those urban houses (small side yards) that fit the <$300K with garages and they can build new/pick their floor plan to have a first floor MBR.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:10 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
what about Ivy Hall? It is off of capital, closer to 440 probably. It has patio homes, do you think that may be an option, so you don't necessarily share as much "wall space" and "air space" as with condos?

Leigh

Old 04-28-2010, 02:23 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
In North Raleigh, there is Harrington Pointe by Centex. Same thing being built in Heritage in Wake Forest. They are only connected by storage but still considered to be townhouses. I think they are priced higher...haven't checked in a while.

I also think Heritage is building "villas" but not sure of the price. I realize that is WF and not N. Raleigh but tell them that I'm a North Raleigh gal but would move to WF if I could convince hubby!!! It is that nice over there!

Vicki

Old 04-28-2010, 02:31 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
I used to live in Woods of Tiffany, off Glendower Road (and Leesville), but they are older, built in the 1980s. However, since the only reason that might be a deal-breaker was due to smoking or cats, I can't imagine that unless a smoker/cat was in there in the past 5 years or so, that it would be detectable to even a very sensitive allergy? The latest owners would likely have painted walls, changed carpet.

I don't know how many of them had 3 BR, though--ours was a 2. But it's a nice little area, convenient to Lynn and Leesville Roads, and if you go the back way, to Pleasant Valley and TownRidge shopping centers (aka "Tornado Alley", to make a 1988 reference. Actually I was living there and heard the tornado go through. Which statistically should make that the safest part of town, tornado-wise!)

Old 04-28-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I used to live in Woods of Tiffany, off Glendower Road (and Leesville), but they are older, built in the 1980s. However, since the only reason that might be a deal-breaker was due to smoking or cats, I can't imagine that unless a smoker/cat was in there in the past 5 years or so, that it would be detectable to even a very sensitive allergy? The latest owners would likely have painted walls, changed carpet.

I don't know how many of them had 3 BR, though--ours was a 2. But it's a nice little area, convenient to Lynn and Leesville Roads, and if you go the back way, to Pleasant Valley and TownRidge shopping centers (aka "Tornado Alley", to make a 1988 reference. Actually I was living there and heard the tornado go through. Which statistically should make that the safest part of town, tornado-wise!)
I appreciate the advice but my mom is like the princess and the pea....with emphasis on the princess. She is allergic to just about everything. She never even opens her windows for fresh air. It's like she goes from heated to AC and back to heat. Older homes have more chances of molds and mildews lurking. She will also NEVER live somewhere that anyone had even let a guest smoke or if there was ever a cat in the house. She's a really tough sell on these issues so I don't even try anymore. Painted walls and new carpet aren't enough in her book. BTW, when you mentioned tornado alley, that's all I needed to know to pinpoint exactly where you were! I drove in that tornoada that night!!! :-)
As for someone's suggestion of Heritage, I did find those online and forwarded some options. They are in their price range and it could work. In my OP, I meant to say "all the way to Wake Forest" but I mixed that up with North Hills....my apologies for the confusion!

Old 04-28-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
In North Raleigh, there is Harrington Pointe by Centex. Same thing being built in Heritage in Wake Forest. They are only connected by storage but still considered to be townhouses. I think they are priced higher...haven't checked in a while.

I also think Heritage is building "villas" but not sure of the price. I realize that is WF and not N. Raleigh but tell them that I'm a North Raleigh gal but would move to WF if I could convince hubby!!! It is that nice over there!

Vicki
I think Heritage is a better option. I assume you are talking about the one floor pinwheel condos that I saw online? What's the quality like at Heritage? Do you know if it's mostly empty nesters or people with small kids buying in that particular development within Heritage.

As for Harrington, They would never settle for airport noise.

Thanks for the ideas. Any insider information about upcoming projects like the one in Heritage?

Old 04-28-2010, 09:48 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Heritage has their own website and you may find more by looking there. They have a section that WAS going to be 55+ Active Adult Community but they decided against making it 55+. However, it seems that the floorplans appeal to empty nesters. That particular section is Heritage Spring.

That is all that I can think of right now.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary