Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 06:24 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times

Advertisements

It is amazing reading all these post. Is this the first time a major roadway like Rt 98 has been bypassed? Hope its all cleared up by next month!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 06:55 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
Quote:
Right now it's adding about 5-10 minutes to my commute each morning because of the barrels forcing you to merge into one lane.
Heck, I'm loving it. It's actually taken 5-10 minutes off my morning commute but I'm coming from 98 east turning right onto FON.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-02-2010 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: Deleted rude comments.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:42 AM

Has anymore of the new 98 bypass of the old section of Rt 98 aka Durham road opened up yet? Is the detours still confusing as previous posters posted? Inquiring minds want to know?

Old 06-21-2010, 07:56 AM

211 posts, read 613,473 times
Nothing significant. They have dug up the old road (and planted grass) on the old unused sections of 98 around the Thompson Mill/98 intersection and have built up the southbound (north of 98) sections of Thompson Mill to properly intersect 98.

No new visible work on the portion of the bypass that runs from the new FON/98 intersection to 98/US1.

I also think that the detours, while not any different today, are flowing significantly better.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:11 AM

Any updates on the 'pass'? Soon I shall traverse the area in route to my NC home and any updates on whats open or not or what's passed the by or by the pass would be greatly appreciated. Trucking minds want to know! Thanks in advance for one getting into a 'Garmin' state of mind!

Old 07-09-2010, 07:17 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
If you are going from 98 to Falls of Neuse, the roads are similar enough that Garmin does not get confused.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:49 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,566 times
I went through there today and there was a truck full of really big aluminum sign posts in the median, and once those go up it'll probably be a bit clearer as to where all the side roads go. Still not sure what's holding up the last section that will connect with Capital. The barriers have been moved aside enough that construction vehicles can get through, and everything looks pretty much completed to me. Maybe they're waiting on the aforementioned signs, or possibly traffic lights. At any rate, they said they'd be done by August, so I'm holdin' 'em to it.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:29 AM

Finally navigated my way back to the area and through the new almost open 98 bypass. Nice and wide comes to mind. However, the Thompson Mill north and south detours are like trying to solve the rubrics cube, you get a few colors to line up with a couple of turns and than you eventually hit a dead end. In the case of the secondary feeder roads into and out of the 98 bypass you reach a "road closed" sign.

thanks for the "Road Closed" sign may I have another? and another? I think they cornered the market on road closed signs around the construction area.

But when its all done I think it will be a great improvement.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
I went through there today and there was a truck full of really big aluminum sign posts in the median, and once those go up it'll probably be a bit clearer as to where all the side roads go. Still not sure what's holding up the last section that will connect with Capital. The barriers have been moved aside enough that construction vehicles can get through, and everything looks pretty much completed to me. Maybe they're waiting on the aforementioned signs, or possibly traffic lights. At any rate, they said they'd be done by August, so I'm holdin' 'em to it.

After driving the area the past few days I decided why they did not open up the new section to Capital Blvd. yet. It is for workers and drivers safety. I think if they opened that section up people would think they were on the Wake Forest Autobahn and breeze through there like electrons in copper wire! Fast! For the time being I think it makes sense to keep that section closed until its is all paved, signs are up, and lights all work, and workers are done and out of the way. Just my opinion!

Old 08-27-2010, 05:21 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times
NCDOT is now projecting that the final leg will open by the end of next week.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary