Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:45 PM

460 posts, read 2,421,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach View Post
Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed I would not trust a recruiter with my future.
I not only trust them but I use them. DH used one for his career in the RTP and we got exactly what he wanted, job, benefits, choice of opportunities.
I cannot say enough good things about recruiting agencies and headhunters in the triangle. Of course your experience may vary. Everyones skill set is different. Luckily for us DH had a skill set that was in demand and he could pick and choose his opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 08:50 AM

85 posts, read 322,810 times
I've used them as part of my job search before. My last search was a combination of networking, looking on my own, and recruiters. In my opinion, recruiters just open the door for you; it's then up to you to decide if that opportunity is right for you. Most of the opportunities that I am looking for are not posted on any sites and are usually retained searches with executive search firms. Without partnering with those recruiters you would never be included in that process.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:37 PM

73 posts, read 397,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyrider View Post
I've used them as part of my job search before. My last search was a combination of networking, looking on my own, and recruiters. In my opinion, recruiters just open the door for you; it's then up to you to decide if that opportunity is right for you. Most of the opportunities that I am looking for are not posted on any sites and are usually retained searches with executive search firms. Without partnering with those recruiters you would never be included in that process.
who'd you use?? you can PM me if you want.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:44 PM

6 posts, read 17,013 times
Hey Bear,

This has absolutely nothing to do with your job search, but my hubby and I have been seriously contemplating a move to NC for about a year now. We are in the same boat you and yur wife are in...living in San Diego, just started a family, can't buy the home we would be happy in, I want to stay home with our son, family all lives here etc... My husband actually has an interview with a company in NC tomorrow. We both go to bed with pits in our stomachs, thinking if this is the right thing to do. We know it would mean a better life for our family if we made the move (or would it?) but it is so hard to pull the trigger! With all things above considered, how did you and your wife come to that "happy place" where you could just say, "we're doin' it!" ????? It is so hard to leave something you've known your whole life for something completely unknown. A leap of faith I suppose?

Old 06-15-2007, 06:47 AM

217 posts, read 799,941 times
I too would like the names of any recruiters that work in the IT field. Thanks!

Old 06-17-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodee49 View Post
Hey Bear,

This has absolutely nothing to do with your job search, but my hubby and I have been seriously contemplating a move to NC for about a year now. We are in the same boat you and yur wife are in...living in San Diego, just started a family, can't buy the home we would be happy in, I want to stay home with our son, family all lives here etc... My husband actually has an interview with a company in NC tomorrow. We both go to bed with pits in our stomachs, thinking if this is the right thing to do. We know it would mean a better life for our family if we made the move (or would it?) but it is so hard to pull the trigger! With all things above considered, how did you and your wife come to that "happy place" where you could just say, "we're doin' it!" ????? It is so hard to leave something you've known your whole life for something completely unknown. A leap of faith I suppose?
hi kodee,

we are in fact in the same boat. i contemplate every day wondering if we should go to NC and it always comes back to this --- we will NEVER be able to afford living in MA and start a family. so where is the best place i've heard or done research about... raleigh area NC.

do i really want to move and leave my great job? no. but there comes a time and a place where you just have to say, we're gonna do it... take all that money we've saved and try to make it work... buy a house, a nicer once with vitality and hope for the future in a vibrant community. better to take a chance and fail than to never have known all your life.

its always more comfortable to do nothing and i've done that for awhile. the waters warm... but you know that fact about frogs right? they cant regulate temperture... they will get into lukewarm water and won't be able to recognize the difference when it starts to boil and its too late to get out of the pot. nothing tells them to leave. they just sit there and die.

anyways that was an old story i remember hearing and it reminds me of what we're going through... if we stay in MA any longer, we're gonna fry. we can't afford a house. and if we dont make the move soon, it will be too late to get in the market in NC.

so to answer your question.... its not a happy place. its a hopeful place... something that promises better things. so if you know in your heart of hearts something is telling you to leave, it probably is time. i'm just glad we're not the only people going through it too

hope that helps and hopefully we'll see each other sometime in the near future in NC!!

Old 06-17-2007, 07:00 PM

PS - it IS a leap of faith (no pun intended with the frogs)

Old 06-18-2007, 06:20 AM

186 posts, read 549,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna Leave Penciltucky View Post
I not only trust them but I use them. DH used one for his career in the RTP and we got exactly what he wanted, job, benefits, choice of opportunities.
I cannot say enough good things about recruiting agencies and headhunters in the triangle. Of course your experience may vary. Everyones skill set is different. Luckily for us DH had a skill set that was in demand and he could pick and choose his opportunities.
I use them to. Some will talk to you for an hour about them and the company hiring and what the real deal is. Usually those recruiters have a good relationship with their client.

Short story. I got a call for a contract job in Phoenix AZ. Pay rate was $25-$35/hr plus per diem. I told the guy I would need to be up near the $35/hr mark with a reasonable per diem. I also requested a job scope before I fly out for the interview, I told him I didn't want to waste my time if the job is not what I wanted. Well the next morning I get an email for a flight to Phoenix. Surprise!!!! Anyway I did go to the interview, It was a joke. The job was 3 hours east in the desert. Who wants to work in the desert. I just thought I would share that. I did get an offer but I turned it down. The per diem was only $430 a week plus the drive to the site was a hour from the nearest town.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:27 AM

186 posts, read 549,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodee49 View Post
Hey Bear,

You can always move back. It's not fun but you could. Unless San Diego has a rule "Once your gone, Your gone".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary