Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 03:55 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times

Advertisements

We've been going down to my family's place at Wrightsville Beach on the weekends for about the past month and it's been pretty nice. I personally think the water is too cold to swim in, but people who are used to colder waters should be fine. I've been seeing crazy people swimming for the last couple of weekends. We don't usually go in until the water temp hits 80. Today it was 63 at Wrightsville. My daughter tried to boogie board in it about 2 weeks ago and she decided it was too cold! But the beach itself has been nice and warm and the air temps have been in the 80's. If you do go to Wrightsville though, get there early for parking. It's very limited and fills up quickly on the weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 04:26 PM

615 posts, read 1,503,519 times
We went Easter weekend, 3 weeks ago, and it was great. Water a bit chilly, but the kids don't care...its probably warmed up since then.
Wrightsville is the closest(1.5 hours) but Topsail/Surf City is least crowded(2 hours).

Old 04-29-2010, 05:16 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
If you just want to see the beach and walk on it, should be fine (I think it's going to be quite hot this weekend). But, the water is probably still too cold to swim, so don't get your hopes up too high for that.
Spoken like a native North Carolinian. I don't get in the water until June, but my Oregon born children seem to think it's warm enough in March to get in the water. Of course, 68 degrees was Oregon's water temp on the hottest day in August and was considered balmy.

But we do love the beach even in December for shell collecting and sand castling building.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:07 PM

305 posts, read 768,108 times
Yep, I'm with Francois and Lamishra. Waters too cold for me, but it's nice to go to the beach anytime. Should be a great weekend for building sand castles and shell collecting and maybe sticking a toe in the water, but I wouldn't go swimming. I'm sure other people would, though!

Old 04-29-2010, 07:43 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
As most suggested, Wilmington/Wrightsville is the closest. It will be 83 Sat and 85 Sun. I checked it out as I am going this wkend. It will be too cold to go into the water higher than your ankles, unless you are used to cold ocean water. It normally doesn't feel warm enough until mid-late May depending where on the coast you are.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:56 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,025 times
The best beach for a day trip is, IMO, Topsail Island. It really doesn't take much longer to drive there than it does to Wrightsville and there's great public beach access with plenty of parking...something you certainly won't find much of on Wrightsville. Consequently, it's also much less crowded.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:56 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,983,107 times
Okay, this one is easy.
(I've mentioned this in a previous post a couple of times)

Wilmington has ALOT of great tourist things to do. The battleship, musuems, shopping, great places to eat, etc. The only downfall is the parking for the beach (which is called Wrightsville Beach). Either you have to pay to park or drive around for an hour trying to find a spot (sometimes both). Unless you are staying at a hotel, this might be difficult. There are no public restrooms, if you leave to go get lunch, etc, you might lose your place as well. However, its easy to get to. Just take I40-East and it will take you directly there.

Now, if you are just wanting to go to the beach, go to Ft Fisher. You drive through Kure beach (try the seafood places- excellent! there are two across the street from each other). At Ft Fisher, they have a musuem AND an aquarium. Here's what I suggest: get the driving directions to the aquarium. When you turn onto Loggerhead drive, there is a HUGE public beach parking lot. Its free. They have a snack stand, grills, picnic tables, BATHROOMS, changing rooms, etc. If you get bored, go to the aquarium, kids love it. Its very, very family friendly and extremely clean. Here's a link to the aquarium:
Ft Fisher Aquarium

The restaurants in Kure Beach (you will drive right pass them!) is Big Daddy's and Jack Mackerel's. You can't go wrong with either one.

Have a great time! The weather is going to be PERFECT for the beach this weekend!

PS- Ft Fisher/Kure beach is an extra 20-25 mins from Wrightsville!

Old 04-30-2010, 06:24 AM

162 posts, read 734,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom5497 View Post
We went Easter weekend, 3 weeks ago, and it was great. Water a bit chilly, but the kids don't care...its probably warmed up since then.
Wrightsville is the closest(1.5 hours) but Topsail/Surf City is least crowded(2 hours).
Is the parking easier at Topsail? I have 3 kids, one is a teen & theres no way will would be able to get there before 12 noon or so.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:27 AM

906 posts, read 2,381,852 times
Its definitely warm enough to go to the beach! But like the others said, don't expect to swim much. :-) I prefer Emerald Isle and Topsail over Wrightsville/Carolina/Kure since those are always too crowded for my taste. Although I agree with ferrickhead that if you do head towards Wrightsville, go to the Ft. Fisher beach access.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:27 AM

162 posts, read 734,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
Okay, this one is easy.
(I've mentioned this in a previous post a couple of times)

Wilmington has ALOT of great tourist things to do. The battleship, musuems, shopping, great places to eat, etc. The only downfall is the parking for the beach (which is called Wrightsville Beach). Either you have to pay to park or drive around for an hour trying to find a spot (sometimes both). Unless you are staying at a hotel, this might be difficult. There are no public restrooms, if you leave to go get lunch, etc, you might lose your place as well. However, its easy to get to. Just take I40-East and it will take you directly there.

Now, if you are just wanting to go to the beach, go to Ft Fisher. You drive through Kure beach (try the seafood places- excellent! there are two across the street from each other). At Ft Fisher, they have a musuem AND an aquarium. Here's what I suggest: get the driving directions to the aquarium. When you turn onto Loggerhead drive, there is a HUGE public beach parking lot. Its free. They have a snack stand, grills, picnic tables, BATHROOMS, changing rooms, etc. If you get bored, go to the aquarium, kids love it. Its very, very family friendly and extremely clean. Here's a link to the aquarium:
Ft Fisher Aquarium

The restaurants in Kure Beach (you will drive right pass them!) is Big Daddy's and Jack Mackerel's. You can't go wrong with either one.

Have a great time! The weather is going to be PERFECT for the beach this weekend!

PS- Ft Fisher/Kure beach is an extra 20-25 mins from Wrightsville!
No bathrooms at Wrightsville???? Oh that's a dealbreaker!

I will check this out, thanks for the post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary