Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:47 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by webfootma View Post
I'm also interested in more info. I've been doing a lot of research on my own and also having the advantage of a friend from this area who moved down there about 2 years ago and after looking at school scores, comparing schools in NC and with schools in the state where I live, I'd decided that Cary was our best bet. I even had decided upon the high school in Cary (Green Hope) that was the best of the bunch. Everytime I follow up and do research on other schools (Wake Forest, Johnston County, etc.) I don't find anything even close to what's here in MA.
I'd be interested in reviewing your information. My wife and I did extensive research into the Wake County school system including on-line data, talking with school administrators, future neighbors and local educators and concluded that in many key areas Wake County exceeded our current Long Island school system. We corroborated our findings by reaching out to local (New York) educators who either had first hand experience or had friends who worked in Wake County. Quite frankly we're very happy with what we found.

We've always considered our current school system to be at least on par with Massachusetts (Boston and its suburbs) if not better. My wife's family is from Massachusetts and we've often compared notes. So for you to state that Wake County isn't even close to Massachusetts begs for some clarity.

And kudos to askmisterbrown for an excellent post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 08:54 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I know I've said this before but here it goes again...

With all this growth that we are seeing, taxes are the answer! We re assess every EIGHT YEARS! That is ridiculous. Our homes appreciate quite well in this area...approx. 4% to 8% per year, depending on the area and neighborhood. Therefore, our prices of our homes go up but our taxes remain at a level from years ago. We should re assess every 3 years and therefore the tax money would help the schools. I seem to be the only person that wants our taxes to go up but sometimes you have to do what is necessary!

And even though I'm down to my last child in Wake County Schools, I'll pay my taxes and won't complain! I won't be able to say the same for most of my colleagues nor hubby!!!

Vicki

Old 06-12-2007, 09:06 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angorra View Post
Sorry to worry you. I have had a bad time with the schools. The problem may be new arrivals but if you court people to your area you should plan accordingly. My sons school is in Cary. From what we have seen it is one of the worst. The schools here are dvided between Magnets and traditional or year round. The magnets seem to have all the money. My sons school seemed like and inner city school. Scores seem to be the main thing. They have failed to meet "no child left behind" goals. The teachers all seemed burned out (why I am not sure since most are young.) My sons Kindergarten class had three different teaschers. The main teacher left after a couple of months for a 5 month maternity leave. Then came back for 2 months and left again because her husband got a new job. I treid to get him into a magnet and was turned down then I tried to get him transfered and was again turned down. All that is left is the appeal or to move. Oh and when we complained we were told by the ass principle of the school that we should tell our six year old that "learning is not always fun" Good luck maybe you will have better luck. Just be very careful wich school you move into.
Now you've got me curious. WHICH school in Cary had all these problems? FWIW, I did find a wide variety in quality of schools there when I did my research.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:18 AM

NCY2RDU, I was looking at the No Child Left Behind Data which ranks states on scores of the NEAP (I think that's the name)--the national test. It's the only test given to every school child in the U.S. I'm not putting down NC schools at all--in fact, I have been pleasantly surprised with what I've found since I started researching. My initial impression was that I was going to have to put the kids in private school, thereby negating any COL savings!

While the NEAP test is standardized nationally, each state sets their own proficiency ratings for what's considered "passing" in order to fulfill No Child Left Behind rankings. So, for example what's considered proficient for reading in Mississipi is failing in Massachusetts.

When the states are ranked in general, the Northeast and Upper Midwest consistently rank in the top 10. MA often ranks first. However, NC has moved up considerably over the past 5 years.

Anyway, just as schools across MA vary widely, so do schools in MA and even in Wake County. I was making a generalization that I continue to stand by--for the most part, MA schools are better than what you find in NC. However, on a school by school basis, I have found one or two schools that seem (on paper at least) to closely replicate several metrics (test scores, SAT scores, college acceptance, etc.), of the high school my oldest currently attends.

What I'm not sure can be replicated anywhere and was probably just dumb luck on our part, is the school itself. We are in a fairly affluent town (means nothing when thinking about the makeup of the student body) surrounded by even more affluent town. Our HS principal lives in one of these neighboring towns. And he's taught in and been in administration in several school districts. He says that the kids in our school BY FAR are the most unbelievable kids he's had the privilege of knowing. He's seen little to no hazing, bullying or disruptive behavior. Kids come to school prepared, go to classes ready to learn. The teachers echo this on parent info night. They all say the kids come into class, get out their books and papers and the teacher can start teaching instead of disciplining. My son's Physics teacher commented that the first day of class, her students thanked her as they exited the classroom and that in all her years of teaching in various schools, she had NEVER seen this.

I don't know why our school is like this and others nearby aren't. But if we do decide to move and I can at least duplicate or come close, academically, what he has now, then that will be a start.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:33 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I know I've said this before but here it goes again...

With all this growth that we are seeing, taxes are the answer! We re assess every EIGHT YEARS! That is ridiculous. Our homes appreciate quite well in this area...approx. 4% to 8% per year, depending on the area and neighborhood. Therefore, our prices of our homes go up but our taxes remain at a level from years ago. We should re assess every 3 years and therefore the tax money would help the schools. I seem to be the only person that wants our taxes to go up but sometimes you have to do what is necessary!

And even though I'm down to my last child in Wake County Schools, I'll pay my taxes and won't complain! I won't be able to say the same for most of my colleagues nor hubby!!!

Vicki
I totally agree. The counties in Northern VA where I moved from re assess every YEAR. It sucked when my assessment for one year went up 40% (2005), but that is why they don't have overcrowded schools. Loudoun County, VA was the fastest growing county in the U.S. between 2000-2004 yet they still had enough room in their schools, because they would get new tax money every year through property taxes. it does suck, but that is what it takes to keep the school system performing. Every 8 years is kind of rediculas...

Old 06-12-2007, 10:48 AM

53 posts, read 169,877 times
Default LI taxes

I totally agree that getting assessed every 8 years is crazy but Long Island's taxes are just over the top. That is why everyone...including me...is leaving. Yes LI has great schools but even with the taxes going up a lot of the schools each year are are pushing to vote yes for the taxes to go up because if they don't they threaten to take away things. The teachers get paid so well out this way and I just wish that they would put the money towards what the school really needs first before giving all the money to all the higher ups and teachers. Then there are so many schools being audited and finding so much money that they didn't know they had...how is that possible???

Why do you think I am leaving LI??? I want a better life....to be able to do things with my family and not worry about not being able to pay my taxes.

I know that there is overcrowding right now in NC and us northerners are to blame. So I am going to try to take the good with the bad and be patient and hope for the best for my kids with the school system.

I have been in contact with a lot of people in Wake Forest and have heard nothing but GREAT things about the schools. So I am going to go down there with a clear mind and try not to get myself worried about the whole thing.

And the person who said that the judge stopped the whole moving of kids from school to school.....can you give me an update on everything???

Old 06-12-2007, 11:27 AM

Where I live, how often they reassess doesn't matter. We have overrides on the ballot every year and they always pass.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:00 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Default Do I know you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janineh View Post
Why do you think I am leaving LI??? I want a better life....to be able to do things with my family and not worry about not being able to pay my taxes.

I have been in contact with a lot of people in Wake Forest and have heard nothing but GREAT things about the schools. So I am going to go down there with a clear mind and try not to get myself worried about the whole thing.

And the person who said that the judge stopped the whole moving of kids from school to school.....can you give me an update on everything???
You and I could be neighbors if not friends. A better life is a recurring thread within these forums, you're not alone. The schools have some challenges before them but smart people continue to work at it and will have it figured out eventually.

As for the stories surrounding the Wake County school system you should check out the News and Observer website for the latest details.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:25 PM

275 posts, read 1,114,836 times
My husband and I moved here 2 yrs ago from So Cal. My children start school this year, so a few months ago I thought I would try to do a comparison of the elementary school they would have attended in CA to the one they are attending here. In CA, we purchased our home in a certain area because it had the "best schools" and that attracted many families to the area. The results were a shock! I did my best to compare apples to apples, comparing the End of Grade tests...and the school here was by far the best. In CA, the school had a 60-65% End of Grade passing rate in 3-5 grades...the school here is 90+%. I am SOOO glad we made our decision to move, because the "norm" in CA is a joke here. Not to mention the percentage of ESL students (english as a second language). My neighbors, some are teachers, say wonderful things about most of the local schools. There are always a few that aren't quite as good, but the vast majority are solid schools.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:21 PM

76 posts, read 272,342 times
Just curious as I am coming down next week (hopefully) for interviews what school you son attended?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angorra View Post
Sorry to worry you. I have had a bad time with the schools. The problem may be new arrivals but if you court people to your area you should plan accordingly. My sons school is in Cary. From what we have seen it is one of the worst. The schools here are dvided between Magnets and traditional or year round. The magnets seem to have all the money. My sons school seemed like and inner city school. Scores seem to be the main thing. They have failed to meet "no child left behind" goals. The teachers all seemed burned out (why I am not sure since most are young.) My sons Kindergarten class had three different teaschers. The main teacher left after a couple of months for a 5 month maternity leave. Then came back for 2 months and left again because her husband got a new job. I treid to get him into a magnet and was turned down then I tried to get him transfered and was again turned down. All that is left is the appeal or to move. Oh and when we complained we were told by the ass principle of the school that we should tell our six year old that "learning is not always fun" Good luck maybe you will have better luck. Just be very careful wich school you move into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary