Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2010, 05:53 PM

17 posts, read 44,002 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been researching relocating to the Triangle Area sometime next year. I know the job market is tough, but it is on the top of our list (he is currently finishing up a Masters in Engineering, so we are looking at several areas where he will focus his job searches in anticipation of that). I have a question about the school systems, I haven't quite sorted out which systems have the year round vs. traditional calendars, but it is something we want to learn more about. We have a son who will be 3 when we move and plan to have at least one more child.

I can see the benefits of the year round system, but my primary concern is care for kids during their breaks, if they are using that calendar. With a traditional school year, like we have in our current area, there are lots of summer camps / summer care programs for children who are not yet old enough to stay at home by themselves. Both my husband and I plan to be working full time...so what do you do with your kids when they are off? Are there enough programs available for those kids who are on a YR schedule?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 06:11 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,838,200 times
No problem with care and camps throughout the triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). We've been doing this for some time here now and have lots of options. Year Rd is generally 9wks in, 3 wks out. There are 4 tracks, some more like traditional than others. If you move to Wake Co (Raleigh area) I don't know what the new school board plans but for now, YR schools stay.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:27 PM

Thanks RaleighLass - I read a bit about the tracks too -- do you know how much they overlap? If your kids go to the same school or to feeder schools can you assume they would be on similar tracks?

Can anyone give me a list of the counties that do have some YR schedules (if not all)?

Old 05-02-2010, 06:33 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,838,200 times
Wake County is www.wcpss.net, search for yr round calendar. The principal will work with you as much as possible on siblings schedules. I think Durham Co has YR, you can do a search for that one.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:37 PM

635 posts, read 1,611,382 times
Durham County has 3 YR round elementary schools and a YR charter elementary school. Unlike Wake Cty, the YR schools in Durham have no tracks - all kids are in and out at the same time on one calendar. Two of the schools have their own assigned zones with other kids able to get in by application/lottery. The other school is completely by lottery. There are a number of camp options for intersession breaks in Durham County as well - I work full time and had no problems finding YR camps for my child.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:56 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,000,078 times
In Wake County schools, there are 4 tracks, and any school has three tracks in at a time. So, a simple answer is yes, at times the different tracks will over lap. For example, we are on track 4, and just as track one tracks back into school (after their three week break) we track out. So, tracks 1 and 4 are only in school together for 6 weeks at a time.

There are tons of track out camps, as wake county has many many year round elementary and middle schools.

If your kids attend the same school, they are on the same track. I have friends who have one child in a magnet school (or a charter) and they may be on different schedules, but people have to apply to the magnet and charter, so they are going into it well aware of the different schedules. My kids are both in elementary school, at the same school, and we registered my younger child during a period before general registration so that the school could accommodate siblings.

As far as middle and elementary school, it all depends. Yes, they try and keep the siblings on the same track, but it may end up that there is no space on the track your elementary child is on at the middle school, or vice versa. Often, one of the schools will allow you to change so that the kids can be on the same track.

Leigh

Old 05-02-2010, 08:12 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,725,303 times
If you've been doing a lot of research, you know that there's a brand new school board majority planning to change things substantially. So if your child is only 3 now, likely the situation will be different regarding YR schools by the time you move here, if you do. It shouldn't be of paramount importance just yet. Wake County is the main place there is the worry about YR schools, so you could live in a different county.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:00 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,073,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jill7930 View Post
Durham County has 3 YR round elementary schools and a YR charter elementary school. Unlike Wake Cty, the YR schools in Durham have no tracks - all kids are in and out at the same time on one calendar. Two of the schools have their own assigned zones with other kids able to get in by application/lottery. The other school is completely by lottery. There are a number of camp options for intersession breaks in Durham County as well - I work full time and had no problems finding YR camps for my child.
Additionally, if you live in the assigned zone for the YR school in Durham you essentially have your choice of the YR or opting out for a traditional calendar school, because there's no shortage of folks wanting to get into the YR schools. That's what we have and it's fantastic, a choice between a YR or trad calendar school, either of which is highly regarded and only 1-2 miles from our house!

Old 05-03-2010, 09:32 AM

Great, thanks for all of the info everyone! Francois - It seems like the YR school is because of a problem with overcrowding so I didn't know how soon or if a change would be coming. Good to know that there may be changes on the horizon, just for planning's sake. YR school does sound like it has its benefits though. I would certainly enjoy the opportunity to travel / take time off during months other than the summer.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:47 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,477,833 times
what is the schedule then for year round? when does it start/end, and what are the vacay times?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary